Hakstol v Berube

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All last season, all I read here was how horrible Berube was as a head coach.
So now they have a highly touted college coach replacing him.

If Berube was that bad, one should expect a significant "jump" this season even with the same personnel returning, shouldn't one?

So how do you think things will be different this year (excluding the young players who'll probably make their impact in 2016-17)?

Who will improve, who will be kicked off the island?
How will the style of play differ from last season?
How much better will the team play?

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Hakstol sounds like Chip Kelly in the sense that he will mold his system to fit the personnel. Berube seemed like much more of a "personnel be damned, my way or the highway."

I'm not exactly sure how it'll change, but I expect to see improvements and increased offensive opportunities for Couturier and Schenn, and better defensive play. And I hope to god that MacDonald doesn't sniff the PP.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Berube would kick Hakstol's ass. Not even close.

You probably can't even find a video of Hakstol fighting anywhere.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm utterly baffled that there are still Berube defenders.

At the simplest level, Hakstol will be better if he refrains from constantly doing dumb things, like having Giroux play as a third defenseman. If hakstol produces a constant stream of stupid decisions, he'll be no better than Berube. If he does not do a bunch of stupid things, he will be better m

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I imagine Hakstol's neurons do a better job of firing across synapses.

If that's the case, he's a better coach.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
I'm guessing we won't see things like playing the 4th line late in the game when trailing or even worse seeing the 4th line in overtime. I'm guessing the first line will see the most minutes every game as a first line should and adjustments actually be made in game instead of trying the same strategy no matter what. Really hakstol just needs to hVe common sense and he will be better than berube. Pretty telling what the league thought of berube since he hasn't even gotten an assistant job anywhere despite talking to several teams.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm utterly baffled that there are still Berube defenders.

At the simplest level, Hakstol will be better if he refrains from constantly doing dumb things, like having Giroux play as a third defenseman. If hakstol produces a constant stream of stupid decisions, he'll be no better than Berube. If he does not do a bunch of stupid things, he will be better m

I don't think I have seen too many people defending Breube but more so people saying the roster stinks and was the bigger problem.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I find this amusing, for all the Berube criticism, there is very little sense how this team is going to improve with the same personnel.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I find this amusing, for all the Berube criticism, there is very little sense how this team is going to improve with the same personnel.

Maybe because... ya know... we haven't seen Hakstol coach a single game yet?

We don't know what he will do differently yet, we haven't seen him do anything at all. Kinda tough to compare people when you haven't seen the one guy yet. So if you want an exact list you're going to need to wait a few months.

If you want a list of things Berube did that were ****ing stupid then it's been repeated a hundred times... if you can't comprehend it by now then you're just not trying to.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Obviously we won't know what Hakstol will do, but we have an idea from how he coached ND.
And people should have some sense how players will fit Hakstol's up tempo attacking scheme v how they played under Berube.

My point is simply that if the talent is so bad that people aren't expecting a significant improvement, then the coaching change was irrelevant - if the coaching change matters then one would expect some of the current players to play a lot better next year.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Obviously we won't know what Hakstol will do, but we have an idea from how he coached ND.
And people should have some sense how players will fit Hakstol's up tempo attacking scheme v how they played under Berube.

My point is simply that if the talent is so bad that people aren't expecting a significant improvement, then the coaching change was irrelevant - if the coaching change matters then one would expect some of the current players to play a lot better next year.

I doubt the coaching was irrelevant when local posters were able to list pages and pages of **** ups going against the most fundamental parts of hockey 101 (e.g. usage, toi distribution, line matching, lineup decisions etc.)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
gotta defend those former Flyer players to the end. especially the goons.
I am sure there would be some who would of approved having Berube still here with Cote and Shelley as assistants.
I have faith that Haxstol will put the players on this team in the best position to win on the ice. Something Berube never did.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes, we expect them to better than last year. Berube did his best to make an already flawed roster as exposed as possible. Bad players got consistent time, good players got odd usage, goalies were used wrong, defensemen were used with no logic, his system didn't help a single thing defensively and hurt us offensively... and I could go on...

Also not sure how removing the worst coach in the league could ever be irrelevant. Seems pretty important to me.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

If the PK had been close to normal they would have been on the cusp of the playoffs. All year Berube said he wanted an aggressive PK, but the PK was the most ridiculous I have ever seen... Dmen walking out past the circle and chasing up the boards, that is not aggressive, it is suicidal!

Playing our centers as a 3rd defenseman was pretty stupid as well.

Playing 4th liners for the last 30 seconds of every powerplay was idiotic.

Giving Voracek only 18:30 a night was stupid, guy was playing under 17 minutes on a pretty regular basis near the end of the season.

Having Giroux play the toughest minutes of any elite offensive center and Couturier the toughest minutes in the NHL... then saying he wanted more production...

Having the most successful PP player in the NHL in recent years yet him being 32nd in PP TOI/game in the NHL, playing 30-40 seconds less a night than other top PP players, was not too smart.

Giving our 4th line the easiest minutes in both zone starts and opposition wise, then rewarding them by playing them more when they had the easiest mins in the league and did ok.

Also when on the road Berube was getting abused by other coaches for the most part, I think that was a big part of our road record under him.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Some of the ice time distributions were mind-boggling at that.

You'd hope Hakstol would easily fix that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
People are still fixating on Berube, and ignoring the key question, HOW will this team improve with Hakstol as HC.

Who will be on the "improved PK" and why will it be better?
How will lines change? How will defensemen be used differently?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I loved Berubes patented:

Play Giroux and Voracek for ~ten mins through two periods, likely falling behind the opposition.

Then play them for over half the 3rd to the point both looked like they would have to be scraped off the ice.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If the PK had been close to normal they would have been on the cusp of the playoffs. All year Berube said he wanted an aggressive PK, but the PK was the most ridiculous I have ever seen... Dmen walking out past the circle and chasing up the boards, that is not aggressive, it is suicidal!

Exactly. It was nuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad