Hainsey next year

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
We'll see but I wouldn't underestimate the scarcity of RHD's in this league.

I think a 2 year deal is likeliest for at least what he's making now.
I would be stunned if that happened, but if it does it'll be with someone else. He's a LHD that can play the right side though too. And for what it's worth, we just let a RHD that was a bonafide bottom pairing NHL'er go back to Russia for free, so I don't think you'll see the overpay like that

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I'd rather go for someone younger but still a vet . There's a couple decent options out there in the UFA market for a 1-2 year deal, Stralman, Giardi, Coburn, and Chiarot , so who knows. I wouldn't mind taking one of the guys from Tampa and making them weaker in the process

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'd rather go for someone younger but still a vet . There's a couple decent options out there in the UFA market for a 1-2 year deal, Stralman, Giardi, Coburn, and Chiarot , so who knows. I wouldn't mind taking one of the guys from Tampa and making them weaker in the process

Problem is, what will they get paid? We'll have cap problems even if we were to resign Hainsey at $3m AAV.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I never understood the Hainsey hate. I think he's been very good and I would bring him back in a heartbeat...except I doubt he signs for anywhere near what we had him for. He's gone IMO (regrettably).

Reactions: Lynk and The Shadow

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Ya, RH will take a one-year contract at 50% or less of his current contract, just like Marner who will give us a deep hometown discount.

Ok, then Hainsey can hit the road. I sure hope Dubas will not be overpaying guys like Hainsey. I don't mind Hainsey, but I think he should be used as a bottom pairing guy at this point in his career. I have no interest in another year of Hainsey with Rielly. Are we trying to win anything? Or just spinning our wheels?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I understand the logic. Having said that, how many decent and available RDs are there that we could sign at less than $3m AAV?

I just don't want our best D to be saddled with a 39 year old as a partner again. I am sick of it. We can only expect his game to keep regressing. Look at Marleau, his game took a huge nosedive this season. I don't trust Hainsey to be even as good as he was this past season. I would stay away.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I just don't want our best D to be saddled with a 39 year old as a partner again. I am sick of it. We can only expect his game to keep regressing. Look at Marleau, his game took a huge nosedive this season. I don't trust Hainsey to be even as good as he was this past season. I would stay away.

I understand the logic and no worries. I just hope we can find a suitable RD at a budget price. When I looked down the list of free agent RDs, it didn't seem like there were many options in our snack bracket. Hopefully Dubas and the scouting team can find a diamond in the rough for cheap I guess.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Ok, then Hainsey can hit the road. I sure hope Dubas will not be overpaying guys like Hainsey. I don't mind Hainsey, but I think he should be used as a bottom pairing guy at this point in his career. I have no interest in another year of Hainsey with Rielly. Are we trying to win anything? Or just spinning our wheels?
You really think Hainsey was the issue of us not winning? hahahahaha.

Do you think it's a coincidence Reilz had a career year with him?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You really think Hainsey was the issue of us not winning? hahahahaha.

Do you think it's a coincidence Reilz had a career year with him?

Sorry, I don't trust him to be even as good as he was this season. Bring him back as coach or something. He is not a top pair guy on a contender. Don't think a 39 year old D will help us much, that's for sure. Do we want to win or do we want to keep spinning our wheels? Rielly had a career with him is a pure coincidence.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Trying to inject some light hearted yet relevant humour here.

Remember the Steve Martin skit?

Steve Martin: A lot of people ask me, Steve how do you become a millionaire?

Steve Martin: Easy. First get a million dollars.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I would be stunned if that happened, but if it does it'll be with someone else. He's a LHD that can play the right side though too. And for what it's worth, we just let a RHD that was a bonafide bottom pairing NHL'er go back to Russia for free, so I don't think you'll see the overpay like that

Exactly my original point and it is ultimately ashame.

I think fans finally started coming around to him this year.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Exactly my original point and it is ultimately ashame.

I think fans started finally coming around to him this year.
he's a good bottom pairing dman but has been in way over his head with us for his entire tenure here, I think we started to come around with him as a fanbase because Rielly was so good this year then Hainsey moved down the lineup to a more appropriate spot when we got Muzzin

I don't think it's Hainsey's fault, we just struggled to find someone who could play the right side for $3M or less in top pairing competition out of a UFA pool, which is an impossible ask

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Sorry, I don't trust him to be even as good as he was this season. Bring him back as coach or something. He is not a top pair guy on a contender. Don't think a 39 year old D will help us much, that's for sure. Do we want to win or do we want to keep spinning our wheels? Rielly had a career with him is a pure coincidence.
So it was coincidence then. Mkay den. This is why we can't have nice things.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Drafted 13th overall in the 2000 draft.

6'3" 210 pounds

Long career as a top 4 d-man

Stanley Cup champion

Morgan Rielly once referred to him as a "big influence on his game".

Cut from stone.

Hobbies: stamp collecting, sewing, and chewing broken glass.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I'm constantly amazed this guy is in the nhl. When he gets the puck in his own end his feet dont even move. He just looks up ice and panics. Basically zero puck moving skills or offensive IQ.

I guess his defensive play makes up for it but even then I don't think he's that good in his own end

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm constantly amazed this guy is in the nhl. When he gets the puck in his own end his feet dont even move. He just looks up ice and panics. Basically zero puck moving skills or offensive IQ.

I guess his defensive play makes up for it but even then I don't think he's that good in his own end
Funny, he's not even in the bottom 2 puck movers in our top 6 this playoffs

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If they can make him fit on a 1 year deal then bring him back. I think other teams will be able to pay him more than we can

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Imo he was and is the worst of them at puck moving .

Who were the worst 2 in your opinion?
Z and Muzzin. Z's significantly worse IMO, Muzzin just doesn't have the patience or awareness of Hainsey with the puck. Better skillset, worse execution.

Hainsey isn't jumping in to rushes, but he's using his partner well, drawing forecheckers and finding outlet plays.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
He’s gone.

He will get a two year term at a rate we can’t and shouldn’t pay.

Wish him well and thanks, but his time here is done.

Dubas has his work cut out for him this off-season.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I was frustrated by him last year but he was quite good this year. I don't see how they fit him in without moving Kadri/Kapanen or both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad