Proposal: Hagg for Colin Miller?

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Vegas has cap issues. How about Hagg for Colin Miler who they benched at time during the playoffs. C. Miller has really good advanced stats, is RHD and is signed for 3 more years at 3.9m.

Provorov - Myers
Sanheim - Gudas
Ghost - C. Miller
Morin

That looks to me like a really good d corps and young. Also, we don't have to hear about how many hits Hagg has.

Reactions: flyersfan187

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hagg was quite literally the worst defenseman in the league last year. I'm sure some team can be suckered into trading for him, but as I said Vegas can do better. It's not difficult.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Obviously yes.

I'm sure someone would be dumb enough to give us more, but trading Hagg for the very last pick in the draft would improve our roster. Nearly any player in the league would be a win for us in a Hagg 1 for 1 trade, unless they have some kind of horrible contract.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg isn't that bad if you can pair him with a mobile RHD and not ask him to do to much.
There are a lot of bad 3rd pair D-men making $3-4M a year, we've had some of them. :sarcasm:
Hagg is cheap and young enough that a HC might take a chance he can coach him up.

Vegas would do it to shed salary, they have some other players they value more they would like to keep.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We have the money to pay him.
He was replaced for one game by Nick Holden, which sounds more like a HC trying to add a physical element.
Miller played 18:32 in game 7 at San Jose, so it wasn't like they gave up on him.

Probably more like Gudas, don't ask him to carry the load, but can be a positive contributor.
Question is whether they'll extend Gudas, for one year you could carry Miller's salary, and buy time for Myers.
Then Myers moves up the food chain and Miller replaces Gudas.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Obviously yes.

I'm sure someone would be dumb enough to give us more, but trading Hagg for the very last pick in the draft would improve our roster. Nearly any player in the league would be a win for us in a Hagg 1 for 1 trade, unless they have some kind of horrible contract.
Welcome back kid feel like I haven’t seen you post here in awhile

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If I didn’t think there were some dumb GM’s out there that would give something decent for him I’d give away Hagg for free just to get him off the team.

So giving him up for an actual quality defensemen is a pretty easy yes.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No reservations about Miller being benched in the playoffs and paying him 3.9 million?
Vegas needs to clear money, so they could make it worth our while. Imagine being an expansion team and having to think that way.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Since the Flyers are run by imbeciles, I see Fletcher giving Hagg a seven year contract extension with a full no trade clause.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Hagg isn't that bad if you can pair him with a mobile RHD and not ask him to do to much.
There are a lot of bad 3rd pair D-men making $3-4M a year, we've had some of them. :sarcasm:
Hagg is cheap and young enough that a HC might take a chance he can coach him up.

Vegas would do it to shed salary, they have some other players they value more they would like to keep.

“Hagg’s not that bad if you give him sheltered minutes with a top 4 RHD, tell him to just stand around, and let his babysitter do all the work”

To be a passable NHL defenseman, Hagg needs to overcome several major deficiencies. He’s not going to be in the league much longer. The upside isn’t there for teams to keep giving him chances over the next 5 years.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
No reservations about Miller being benched in the playoffs and paying him 3.9 million?
Exactly. I keep seeing his name get brought up and I don't get it. He was a healthy scratch a few times during the regular season, and then benched in the playoffs. One of his biggest strengths is the PP which the Flyers don't really need. I don't see him as an upgrade in the top four at all and a waste of 3.9 million for the Flyers.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
“Hagg’s not that bad if you give him sheltered minutes with a top 4 RHD, tell him to just stand around, and let his babysitter do all the work”

To be a passable NHL defenseman, Hagg needs to overcome several major deficiencies. He’s not going to be in the league much longer. The upside isn’t there for teams to keep giving him chances over the next 5 years.
Luke Schenn is still getting chances in this league. Hagg will too.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some people don't do research, not every team is deep from top to bottom, there are a lot of marginal players on 4th lines and 3rd pairs.
At least Hagg is young enough to have upside, he's big, physical and durable and has decent mobility.
Doesn't mean he has a future here, the whole point of depth is you let someone else work with your marginal talents (Cousins, Weal, etc).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Colin Miller is overpaid and overrated. You don't get scratched in the playoffs as a defenseman making $3.9M if you're an above-average blueliner. He's basically Andy Delmore. Fine if, ceteris paribus, you'd take him over Hagg, but I wouldn't at a $3.9M cap hit. If you're going to take up a D spot while adding $3.9M, at least use that money and roster spot on a better defenseman.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's not get carried away with "he got scratched," it was one game and he started game 7.
On the other hand, Miller was rotating with Holden and Merrill in the regular season, but was the 6th D-man in the playoffs with Holden benched.

Miller 65g 19:39 (16:40 ES) - 18:39 (15:28)
Holden 61g 18:18 (16:27 ES) - one game 13:34
Merrill 57g 17:53 (16:28 ES) - 18:25 (16:14)
Miller and Theodore played the most minutes on the regular season PP
Holden played 3rd most PK minutes, Merrill 5th

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Every game in the playoffs is of the utmost importance. Let's not downplay a $3.9M defenseman being a healthy scratch for a playoff game, either. The scratch and his general usage throughout the season are evidence that his coaches don't exactly have a ton of trust in him. There's a lot of Delmore to his game. He's a good athlete, but a very flawed hockey player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Holden was the player they lacked confidence in, and putting him in for one game sounds more like an attempt to jump start the team by putting in the less talented but more physical player for a few shifts on the 3rd D-pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad