Post-Game Talk: Habs Win 5-2. (4 pts for Dvorak, 3 pts for Anderson, 2 Goals for Pezzetta)

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I know its heresy here, but don't think Guhle and Romanov have enough mobility to be a top pairing tandem.

Wait.. what?? lol..
Not that i think Romy will ever be top pairing but ... your reason absolutely bewilders me lol

They are ALREADY more mobile than our Top pair last season of Weber and Chiarot, and are already more mobile than our projected Top pair this season of Edmunson and Petry..

There's all sorts of reasons why they are or aren't ready or aren't good enough for Top pair NHL duties ........ but mobility is NOT one of them lol

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Wait.. what?? lol..
Not that i think Romy will ever be top pairing but ... your reason absolutely bewilders me lol

They are ALREADY more mobile than our Top pair last season of Weber and Chiarot, and are already more mobile than our projected Top pair this season of Edmunson and Petry..

There's all sorts of reasons why they are or aren't ready or aren't good enough for Top pair NHL duties ........ but mobility is NOT one of them lol
That's damning them with the faintest of praise.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Byron doesn't have value but Lehkonen does. I think we might need to trade Lehkonen for a 3C and have Byron on the 4th line with Evans and Armia.

Yes, although winger for center is rare. Once Byron is ready to come back & if everyone else is healthy, there will be a roster issue anyway.

We already have 14 forwards not including Byron. Doubt Lehks lasts the season in Montreal, but we'll see. There will be injuries.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The book on Wideman is that he is a good skater with a nice shot and playmaking abilities. His issues are in his own zone, particularly physical play. An optimistic outlook on him is a 6D that plays PP1.

Exactly what we didn't have last year a right handed RD who can play 3rd pairing minutes able to generate speed from the back end with puck movement. Our zone entries were noticeably better with him handling the puck on the PP. N0 more Weber automatically dropping the puck and then effectively removing himself from the play as an option on the zone entry. Wideman can pass, carry, or drop the puck and follows up the play ensuring he remains an option to leverage the man advantage.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Tierney would make sense. He played with Anderson and Dvorak (not a lot with him though) in London, he's UFA at the end of the year, he can feed his winger.
I wouldn't mind Tierney at all, especially since Ottawa doesn't seem to have much use for him, but he's basically a one year reclamation project. If we were to move on from Lehkonen (and I'm not sure we should), I'd expect something more tangible than Tierney.

All those rich, multi-year contracts for our wingers really restrict our freedom of maneuver until Drouin and Byron are off the books. Even then it's still too much investment in Caufield/Gallagher/Anderson/Armia at RW.

We should all hope we can squeeze the best hockey out of Anderson the next two years and move him at peak value before 2023-24 season. Unless Price and Petry become major cap liability by then, we're gonna be in a good position with lots of cap space and assets to build a competitive roster.

In the big picture Lehkonen seems like a guy who offers the best bang for the buck, but we feel forced to move him because we have much less cost-effective wingers eating at our cap. I don't like that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad