Post-Game Talk: Habs win 3-1! Going into the break with a big W!

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Missed the game tonight, just watched the highlights on nhl.com and can't understand how a professional broadcaster can mess up a guy's name as bad as calling Beaulieu "Boylow".. seriously man.. other than that yay we won.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
so... who's the second line?

prust - pleks - weise....?

or DD - Eller - Pap ?

hum, i always said we should be transitioning pleks into a 3rd line checking center soon (which he is anyway lets face it) and that we should be grooming Eller to take over as number 2C

but having Sekac not top 9 is just...cmon michel...

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
It kept making me think of N8 teh Gr8 as Indy's asian sidekick or something. Boy Low. It was definitely the worst but not the first butchering of his name I've heard... took me a bit to get the hang of it myself though honestly back in the day.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I'm seriously amazed that you guys don't understand that MT made those changes to salvage the damn game. As much as I like Sekac, he was playing like **** and deserved to be demoted. He'll go back on his line after Christmas as Weise and Prust can't play on a second line permanently. That said, they stepped up to the plate and gave good puck possesion shifts with Pleky and were there for the first goal.

MT made an adjustment and it paid off. Find something else to complain about the man.

HabsChik*

Price is likely the only goalie who gets motivation and some Zen advantage from being scored on first.

His cool, is remarkable.

Don't know your age but, if you are old enough you will remember Patrick Roy was exactly like this.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Yeah, me too on watching the entire game.

We deserved to win it because the Habs potted 3 goals and the Isles only got one.

I dont buy into the "deserved" tag placed on games. The Habs played well enough to win and they did. Teams do not get points for "deserving" to win.

Maybe I should go to the Islanders Forum and see if they are whooping it up there because they "deserved" to win this game and the Habs did not. Especially since the mood is so glum from some people here after a win.

Moral victories and moral losses. Where have I heard that before? Boston Bruins maybe?

With all that said, I get the angst from some people after tonight's win. Angst after a win lives in the minds of people who are fanboys first and Habs fans second. And angst after a win lives in the minds of those who worship at the altar of fancy stats(Andrew Berkshire is probably ******** bricks right now). As for me, we beat a hot team on the road by outplaying the Islanders enough for a victory.

Helluva great night for Habs fans.

Argument and discussion do not seem to interest you.

That is OK. But having more evident emotion than reason when it comes to Habs does not make you a better fan.

PricePkPatch*

Don't know your age but, if you are old enough you will remember Patrick Roy was exactly like this.

I may not have the same memories as.you, but i have a hard, hard, hard time putting "Patrick Roy" and "zen" in the same sentence.

"Tranquil Fury" maybe. But zen? :-P

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why was Daignault pointing at something in the stands after the game? Even the players seem to look at something happening there!? Any clue!?

"That's where I belong but I get paid hundred thousands of dollars to suck at my job! Haha haha!!!"

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
so... who's the second line?

prust - pleks - weise....?

or DD - Eller - Pap ?

hum, i always said we should be transitioning pleks into a 3rd line checking center soon (which he is anyway lets face it) and that we should be grooming Eller to take over as number 2C

but having Sekac not top 9 is just...cmon michel...

Eller hasn't proven that he can be relied on to be a second line center for 82 games. He'll play like one for short stretches, but then be invisible offensively. But he's an excellent 3rd line center.

We're going to have to look outside the organization. If a young player like Filip Forsberg becomes available again, we have to make that trade. Hopefully we can draft Pleky's replacement.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

They were comparing the two on 98.5 after the game last night. An interesting point they brought up is how both goaltenders knew that, most of the time, opposing forwards saw no holes. The forwards only see goalie, and therefore hesitate and take an extra half second to take a shot or pass it.

Basically, both Carey and Roy would have a psychological edge on opposing teams most nights.

We have the best goalie in the league.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Argument and discussion do not seem to interest you.

That is OK. But having more evident emotion than reason when it comes to Habs does not make you a better fan.
Just too funny.

Somehow, saying we didn't play well = complaining about a win... :laugh:

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
Sekac was awful tonight. Worst NHL game he's played. Deserved it, really.

Sekac has played 2 bad shifts the whole season and you say he deserved it?

What about giving him a chance to redeem his mistakes by not sitting him instead of trashing him.

DD defender, sekac hater. You're the anti-me. :laugh:

DD is getting it now though. He shoots more.:handclap:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Nice way to start Christmas and I ain't going to complain about anything and just bask in the glory of the first place Habs.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
We have the best goalie in the league.

How is that possible when he has never even been nominated for a Vezina, or any other trophies or won a cup ?

Price is good no doubt, but that's an exaggeration. Rinne is doing better this year than Price, has been nominated for the vezina twice and has better career stats than Price.

Not to mention Quick, Lundqvist, etc.

I wouldn't bat an eye if someone said : Price might be the best goalie. But "We have the best goalie in the league"... that's too definitive for someone who lacks any achievement to prove it.

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal
I'm very happy with the win but there's something that really puzzled me. Why did MT switch the 2nd and 4th line wingers? What did he think ghetto and Sekac would do with MM on the 4th? Plekanec deserves better than Prust AND Weise on his wings.
???
Prust Plekanec Weise
Andrighetto Malhotra Sekac
???

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How is that possible when he has never even been nominated for a Vezina, or any other trophies or won a cup ?

Price is good no doubt, but that's an exaggeration. Rinne is doing better this year than Price, has been nominated for the vezina twice and has better career stats than Price.

I wouldn't bat an eye if someone said : Price might be the best goalie. But "We have the best goalie in the league"... that's too definitive for someone who lacks any achievement to prove it.

Top 5 is Quick, Lundqvist, Rinne, Price and Rask. Interchange them to personal preference but that's the top 5 and its not debatable IMO.

Rinne is the best goalie in the league this season though. His numbers in both regular and advanced goalie statistics are insane.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Has faced more shots than anyone since 2011
Top five in save percentage over that time on some bad teams
Number one in save percentage of all goalies since last season with min. 55 games played.
Number one in GPS of all goalies since last season with min. 55 games played.
Gold medal winner 2014

Not sure how this guy "lacks any achievement" to warrant being called the best goalie in the league.
Rinne is the best goalie in the league this season though. His numbers in both regular and advanced goalie statistics are insane.
Rinne should be the Hart favourite with how good his numbers have been. They definitely are insane. And of the top five you mentioned only two have won Vezinas.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
How is that possible when he has never even been nominated for Vezina, or any other trophies or won a cup ?

I should've said if not the best then a top 3 goalie, although in my opinion he is the best.

If you truly believed in Vezina winners / nominations, than you would've mentioned Bob or Varlamov or Bishop. Tuuka won it last year and is an elite goaltender, but he's not quite on Carey's level and if Price were a Bruin he would've easily won it.

I don't believe Quick is an elite goaltender, but more of a really good athletic goaltender who steps it up in the playoffs. Although he is a top 5 goaltender.

Henrik is obviously an elite goaltender, but in my opinion has taken a step back and would be a #2 or 3 behind Carey / Rinne.

You say he has no Cups to show for his greatness, but name me 1 recent Stanley Cup winner who is better than Carey or who you'd rather have than Carey.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The best part of not being able to watch the game last night is that they won, and I have nothing to complain about.

On to the next one!

Pricef*

Price bailed us out yet again. Lucky the Isles had Johnson in net - literally the worst netminder I've seen in years.

I feel bad for Plekanec.

• Screened on Markov's goal
  • If you want to blame him on gallagher's fine but it's debatable at best
  • 0 chance on DD's goak

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think Rinne has a lot to prove in the playoffs to be considered among Rask, Price, Quick and Lundqvist. I also think Price & King Henrick are the top 2 but I'm heavily biased...if Carey had any sort of stability in front of him he'd have won at least one Vezina by now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad