Proposal: Habs vs Sharks

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
This a totally pointless trade offer. There is no impetus for the Habs to trade Poehling and Struble. None!

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
This is just making a trade to make a trade. There’s no reasoning to it. Might as well stick with the devil you know

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Doesn't make sense for either team to take the risk, but personally I'm really high on Struble (as someone who watches a lot of NE). Poehling took a major step this year. Everything about his game improved. Maybe he's only a 3rd liner, but I think he'll be a good one.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Doesn't make sense for either team to take the risk, but personally I'm really high on Struble (as someone who watches a lot of NE). Poehling took a major step this year. Everything about his game improved. Maybe he's only a 3rd liner, but I think he'll be a good one.
yeah we have to keep them two

UED

May 2, 2021
Why would you want their 2 disappointing undersized offensive defensemen? At best, they'll never make the NHL. At worse, they'll make the NHL and be liabilities like Ristolainen, Gardiner, Butcher, Gostisbehere, C.Miller, etc. At least Poehling could end up an average bottom 6er. Who knows, maybe he can even be a 3rd liner!

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What a peak HF boards response in a peak HFboards trade proposal.
You’d think the one Habs/Sharks fan on this board would know a little more than the rest of us. It’s bad for the Sharks because they have enough prospects that project to be bottom of the lineup players. Not enough like Merkley (high potential even if there’s also high bust potential).

Reactions: themelkman

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
You’d think the one Habs/Sharks fan on this board would know a little more than the rest of us. It’s bad for the Sharks because they have enough prospects that project to be bottom of the lineup players. Not enough like Merkley (high potential even if there’s also high bust potential).

Not really. First of all, there are very few posters on HFboards in general whose opinions on prospects merit actual weight and none of them have posted on here.

With the self admitted limited knowledge of prospects in mind, I also don't see how Merkley, who is generally rated in the same range as Poehling on most unbiased rankings I've seen and who hasn't really done much in the AHL is some high potential player and Poehling, who led one of the best AHL teams in points despite missing time with injury and has more individual accolades is some low potential player.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not really. First of all, there are very few posters on HFboards in general whose opinions on prospects merit actual weight and none of them have posted on here.

With the self admitted limited knowledge of prospects in mind, I also don't see how Merkley, who is generally rated in the same range as Poehling on most unbiased rankings I've seen and who hasn't really done much in the AHL is some high potential player and Poehling, who led one of the best AHL teams in points despite missing time with injury and has more individual accolades is some low potential player.
Merkley is ranked around the same because of his bust potential. It’s entirely true that Merkley could end up as the next Ryan Murphy but he also could end up as the next prime EK. Watching him play should tell you that. It’s not about Poehling or Struble not being good enough or not having high enough potential. It’s about Merkley having huge potential even if it’s unlikely he hits his full potential.

In other words. Merkley has more value to us than to other teams.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why would you want their 2 disappointing undersized offensive defensemen? At best, they'll never make the NHL. At worse, they'll make the NHL and be liabilities like Ristolainen, Gardiner, Butcher, Gostisbehere, C.Miller, etc. At least Poehling could end up an average bottom 6er. Who knows, maybe he can even be a 3rd liner!

Kniazev's significantly better than you think he is.

Reactions: themelkman

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Merkley is ranked around the same because of his bust potential. It’s entirely true that Merkley could end up as the next Ryan Murphy but he also could end up as the next prime EK. Watching him play should tell you that. It’s not about Poehling or Struble not being good enough or not having high enough potential. It’s about Merkley having huge potential even if it’s unlikely he hits his full potential.

In other words. Merkley has more value to us than to other teams.

Its not like I haven't seen him play, I personally don't think his potential is all that high. But again, I sincerely doubt you or I or anyone on here has seen enough of any of these guys (or know enough about scouting) to make that aggressive a statement. Scouting even among experts is basically a coin flip at best.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Its not like I haven't seen him play, I personally don't think his potential is all that high. But again, I sincerely doubt you or I or anyone on here has seen enough of any of these guys (or know enough about scouting) to make that aggressive a statement. Scouting even among experts is basically a coin flip at best.
Agreed on the scouting but why not keep the known quantity that has high potential? Merkley has always been said to have high potential if he can figure his shit out. Kniazev is also being severely underrated here.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Agreed on the scouting but why not keep the known quantity that has high potential? Merkley has always been said to have high potential if he can figure his shit out. Kniazev is also being severely underrated here.

The bolded is my POV from both teams perspectives. Which is why my first post in this thread is that "none of these prospects need a change of scenery".

And I don't think Kniazev is being underrated. Its basically:

late 2017 1st (Poehling) for late 2018 1st (Merkley) - shown flashes of maybe being an impact player, but need a ton of work to get there.

mid 2019 2nd D-man for mid 2019 2nd D-man - both who have shown intriguing upside but not enough to really make waves.

Its perfectly fine if one side or the other says no, I just don't know how anyone can speak with any kind of conviction or authority one way or another.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Its not like I haven't seen him play, I personally don't think his potential is all that high.

upload_2021-6-15_14-54-9.png

Reactions: ThreatLevelMidnight

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Merkley has over a 60% statistical chance to be a star in the NHL, if that isnt high ceilings I dont know what is.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Its not perfect, but it tells me that the analytics know he can become something special. It has been right quite a bit recently.

That's not what those "analytics" say. They say that based on past comparables, there is a good chance that Merkley will produce offensively in the NHL (NHLe is based on standardizing expected point production). That doesn't mean they'll be a star. And I'd especially be cautious with D-men, since there are a lot D-men that have produced a lot in the NHL that are absolutely not star D-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad