Proposal: Habs vs Flames

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I guess the point would be you don't have the assets to spare to acquire a player of Tkachuks caliber then right? Dube and Valimaki seem like a fair offer for Suzuki? It's basically what was offered for Tkachuk.
No it's more like we are not interested in overpaying for MT.
The Flames are not willing to give up the necessary assets to get a player like Suzuki and NO ,MT doesn't move the needle.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
So the 34 goal 75 point guy is worth less than the 15 goal 41 point guy. Less than 2 years age difference and Tkachuk is more toolsy. Never change Habs fans...
Lets compare this yrs stats.

The Habs will easily keep the 2 yr younger 41 pt C -player over the 2 yr older 43 pt winger.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
So the 34 goal 75 point guy is worth less than the 15 goal 41 point guy. Less than 2 years age difference and Tkachuk is more toolsy. Never change Habs fans...

More like that 43 pts in 56 games winger making $7M is worth less than that 41 pts in 56 games Center making $900K!!!

Reactions: draft day

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
More like that 43 pts in 56 games winger making $7M is worth less than that 41 pts in 56 games Center making $900K!!!
Add 2 yr younger and You just nailed it.
Leave Suzuki out of this because it's a pipe dream on their part.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Remember when they all thought Ryder, Halak and a 2nd was enough for any star player? Scary thing is Ryder and Halak had actually accomplished something in the league. Kotkaniemi and Romanov were scratched in the playoffs and haven't accomplished anything.

I like Romanov, think he'll be a 2nd pairing guy. I don't think Kotkaniemi will ever be anything more than a 3C.

Funny how KK manage to tie Crosby goal record in playoffs games before the age of 21 but sure he did not accomplish anything. KK was scratched about 3 games in 4 rounds. Nice try

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Lack of foot speed is a weird thing to mention as its also Suzuki’s biggest flaw, both players are below average skaters and have to slow the game down and position very well to compensate.

As for 2-way game I am aware Suzuki’s is good but statistically Tkachuk is still better, and was at age 21 too

By what metric is Tkachuk better defensively? xGA heavily favors Suzuki both last year and over the last 2, Tkachuk only has the edge for Corsi against. I’d take the lower xGA player 9/10 times, and then you consider Tkachuk playing mostly with shutdown C Backlund and Suzuki most common linemates Drouin and Josh Anderson.

Plus Suzuki plays with much more pace and has shown more consistency, especially in the post-season when it matters. Tkachuk for all his strengths is notably inconsistent despite having 3 more years of NHL experience. Tkachuk is a quality top-line winger but you gotta take the 1C with excellent defensive metrics despite playing with primarily offensive wingers and still producing at a very very impressive rate for a 21 year old and two quality playoff showings already

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If Tkatchuk’s QO is 9M then its a definite no to the original offer. Habs can’t afford thay contract and are better off with KK and Romanov as cost controlled plays who have huge potential. Flames ate gonna have to pay MY his money!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal will never acquire Tkachuk.

giphy.gif

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I mean, the guy is playing with Gaudreau and Monahan. Let’s be real here, Gaudreau is 100% the play driver on their line and on the Flames.

Mmm.. nope. Tkachuk only played with Gaudreau 5v5 the last ~15 games of the season.

About the bolded - I truly doubt that. Just for starter, Tkachuk doesn’t even have half the vision and hands of Suzuki.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Now this is funny

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That's a pipe dream lol

No one is trading a franhise C for a winger that wants out.

Hell wouldn't trade Suzuki straight up for Tkatchuk
Bit of a stretch calling Kotkaniemi a franchise C...?....imo...At least Tkachuk is a proven commodity.

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
Good luck then. Treliving won't be trading a player much coveted by many many teams (Tkachuk) for a 2nd line center at best (KK) and a 3rd pairing d-man (Romanov).... certainly not if he wants to have a job come October.

All good, I do not expect the flames to accept that either, I was just answering to people asking for suzuki, he is as untouchable as it gets.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Why are you are saying good and laughing? Tkachuk would be an excellent addition to Montreals roster. I don't see how thats funny at all.

Oh, absolutly!

But some people would take Suzuki for Tkachuk, which is straight up lunacy and if it's the price, there's nothing to talk about

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If Tkatchuk’s QO is 9M then its a definite no to the original offer. Habs can’t afford thay contract and are better off with KK and Romanov as cost controlled plays who have huge potential. Flames ate gonna have to pay MY his money!

The QO thing is blown way over. Yes it's 9 mil, but that's more protection for MT if somehow the contract negotiations go badly sideways. MT will do what's best for him, but unlike his dad, I don't think it will always completely mean "best = max money". I honestly believe that his next contract will be less than 9 mil. But negotiations wise, I'd wonder if it's an arguments between mid term vs long term contracts (ie: $8 x 5 years vs $8 x 8 years; where he's aiming for the best circumstances for another pay day around the age of 27-29). MT could hold out or just take the 1 year 9 mil QO, but I'd honestly believe it hurts him more than helps him to go down that path.

Furthermore, if you're asking for Tkachuk, there's a difference between the Flames asking for certain players is a bad roster fit for the Habs thus would declined vs we are not allowed to ask at all. There is absolutely no one on the Habs who cannot enter the conversation at all if Tkachuk is on the table. However, it's fair that Habs are completely not interested in moving a guy like Suzuki for Tkachuk because it wrecks their already fragile centre make up.

But don't act like negotiating Suzuki in for a potential Tkachuk trade is like putting an average middle 6 player for a top 10 in the league player. They are similar calibre of value players. This isn't like starting with Mangiapane or Dube and blowing up the ask to a Draisaitl or Makar calibre of player. Habs can absolutely decline/counter offer/ask for a bit more, but it is not unreasonable to bring Suzuki's name in as part of the discussion.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
But don't act like negotiating Suzuki in for a potential Tkachuk trade is like putting an average middle 6 player for a top 10 in the league player. They are similar calibre of value players. This isn't like starting with Mangiapane or Dube and blowing up the ask to a Draisaitl or Makar calibre of player. Habs can absolutely decline/counter offer/ask for a bit more, but it is not unreasonable to bring Suzuki's name in as part of the discussion.

It is fair to ask Suzuki, but by doing so, you also remove all the incentive from MTL to acquire Tkachuk in the first place. It's like saying I'll give you these high spd tires for your car mags in exchange of these same mags..... Why would I get the tires then???

so in a vacuum it may make sense, from a reallity point of view, it does not. CAL and MTL are not good trading partners despite MTL needing a player like Tkachuk

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad