Proposal: Habs Vancouver

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Montreal lose their best shootout performer, their fastest skater and one of their best penalty killers. What are they "winning?"

Because while Byron is a good hockey player, we have at least 6 wingers who are flat out better. Byron will play on the 4th line, not matter what. With the 2021 edition, we don't have to pay 3,5M$ for what he brings. And we'll need the cap space in the future

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Because while Byron is a good hockey player, we have at least 6 wingers who are flat out better. Byron will play on the 4th line, not matter what.

Actually, no, he won't play there no matter what. Injuries and his versatility could see him play up and down the lineup. He's infinitely more valuable then the piece coming back from Vancouver who really is only useful on the fourth line.

With the 2021 edition, we don't have to pay 3,5M$ for what he brings. And we'll need the cap space in the future

If the Canadiens don't want to pay him in 2022, they can trade him. Or buy him out. Both of those preferable then making this years team worse and bringing in a "grinder."

Reactions: loadie

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Byron is way better than Roussel and I'm convinced that we won't have to pay a 3rd round to save 400K.

No from the habs.
The pick I assume is for the additional year, so it's not a $400k savings it is a $3.4 cap savings in the final year of Byron's contract

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I see no reason for Montreal to do this now.

I'd do it.

We lose the better player by far, but either one of them will play on the 4th anyway.
More importantly, we save one year.

Vancouver win one of the fastest skater in the league, and an excellent PK-er. Still putts between 10 to 20 goals for sure. And they get an OK pick for taking the one + year

Win-Win I think

Montreal doesn't have the elite forward talent to not want to optimize their talent on the 4th line. They can't beat teams star to star, so having the depth to be able to play guys like Byron and Armia on the 4th line is how they'll be able to win games.

Montreal's basically paying for size and a year shorter contract, but it doesn't really make sense for Montreal right now. They were already a pretty physical team and paid a pretty hefty size premium this offseason already. Roussell (like Byron) misses a ton of games too.

Habs do this because they need to meet their quota of French names on the team. The 3rd is because of the French name premium charge.

And its literally just the French name, since Byron is bilingual too.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Byron is a better player than Roussel, but the Canucks need to shed cap and players with term, not add them Doesn't make sense for them. By the same token, I'm not sure why MTL adds a 3rd...

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
The pick I assume is for the additional year, so it's not a $400k savings it is a $3.4 cap savings in the final year of Byron's contract

Well then you trade him in his final year instead and you keep the better player until then.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks need to shed Roussel, not deal him for another contract.
The Canucks are down to really only two choices if they want to jettison Roussel's contract. They can either sweeten the pot with a high draft pick or take on another bad contract in return. And unfortunately, Benning isn't really in a position to do either.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Well then you trade him in his final year instead and you keep the better player until then.
not so easy to trade over paid players in this environment. If the cap doesn't increase that deal will be difficult to trade. Byron will be 34 when that deal expires, and he has some miles on that body, as evidenced by significant time lost to injuries the past 2 seasons.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The habs arent going to trade Byron for a worse player that has almost the same cap hit, let alone add a 3rd round pick to it...

Reactions: Rass

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
But we need the cap space the season before and we would be stuck with Roussel.
Rather just play Byron this season and then dump him if needed.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
not so easy to trade over paid players in this environment. If the cap doesn't increase that deal will be difficult to trade. Byron will be 34 when that deal expires, and he has some miles on that body, as evidenced by significant time lost to injuries the past 2 seasons.

We just revisit the possibility in 2 years, no reason for Montreal to pull the trigger on that offer tho. Buyout might be another options by then.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
We just revisit the possibility in 2 years, no reason for Montreal to pull the trigger on that offer tho. Buyout might be another options by then.
I'm not advocating for the trade, and as a Vancouver fan I can agree 100% Byron is the better player. I would also not pull the trigger on this deal from a Canucks point of view because we already have way too many over paid players and the sooner those contracts are off the book the better. I was responding to the critique that down grading from Byron to Roussel isn't worth the $400k savings and my point was it isn't a $400k savings, it's a $400k savings for 2 seasons and 1 year of a $3.4 savings. Looking at the 2 players it is quite obvious that many of the posters have not watched Roussel play, because over the coarse of their careers the 2 players offensive and defensive metrics are fairly close. Both players are over paid for their role but Byron is older, has had recent injury history (56 games in 18/19 and 29 games in 19/20) and he is signed for more cap, more actual dollars and more years. Roussel will be 32 when his contract is up, Byron will be 34.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I consider this post a joke.. Byron is not french, it would be Biron though he does speak french.

Now on the topic, Byron is a very useful player and I don't mind him on the team at all as long as the cap allows it. If the Habs can't keep him, I hope he goes to a team that wants him, he'll be there.

Kinda like Roy is not French if he was it would be spelt Ruewha. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad