Speculation: Habs trades

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Since Price came back in beast mode and since management probably didn't even got close of thinking about a rebuild, i can see Bergevin making a hockey trade and maybe buy at the deadline.

One deal that has been agreed by some fans on another thread would be Pacioretty for Muzzin with other pieces to balance it out.

That trade gives the Habs that big, efficient top pair lhd to play with Weber that we badly need.

Off course, we lose offense big time but finding a stop gap on the wing or a legitimate replacement would be way easier at the deadline. How about E.Kane, J. Neal or Perron at the deadline?? What would it cost from a Habs POV??

Personnaly, i love E.Kane's game and not only he would provide us the offense and goal scoring Patches gives us but he would also bring toughness and grit that we also need.

So, how about E.Kane for 2019 1st, 2018 3rd and Brook/Ikonen?? Enough or not??

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Since Price came back in beast mode and since management probably didn't even got close of thinking about a rebuild, i can see Bergevin making a hockey trade and maybe buy at the deadline.

One deal that has been agreed by some fans on another thread would be Pacioretty for Muzzin with other pieces to balance it out.

That trade gives the Habs that big, efficient top pair lhd to play with Weber that we badly need.

Off course, we lose offense big time but finding a stop gap on the wing or a legitimate replacement would be way easier at the deadline. How about E.Kane, J. Neal or Perron at the deadline?? What would it cost from a Habs POV??

Personnaly, i love E.Kane's game and not only he would provide us the offense and goal scoring Patches gives us but he would also bring toughness and grit that we also need.

So, how about E.Kane for 2019 1st, 2018 3rd and Brook/Ikonen?? Enough or not??

No to the Pacioretty for Muzzin trade

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
With all due respect to Muzzin who is a good dman, just no as the Habs need goals as much if not more than another guy on d. Getting someone back that would actually replace the offence lost would not be easy.

E.Kane is to unpredictable and is a UFA at the end of the season and no he does not bring the same goal scoring as MaxPac, he has hit 30 goals on the dot once and that was 6 years ago. Neal is also going to be a UFA and with Vegas being very much in the playoff hunt I don't see them moving one of their most important offensive tools. Perron is more likely to be moved but does not bring anywhere near the offence Max, Evander and James do and of course is also a UFA.

Giving up a first and third and a prospect for a few months of Kane when the Habs are a bubble playoff team....not good asset management. It's especially dangerous if you consider that based on the mess this season has been, there is a good chance next season could be the same or worse and that pick could be a lottery one.

Reactions: Souffle

thebonscott

Jun 1, 2017
I am totally on board with trading pacioretty, and muzzin is a solid player. But I would prefer if habs put a package together for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins instead. Oil need wingers and D-men. I wonder if Pacioretty + Carr + Benn + 2 rounder would be enough?

Regarding
Perron concussion city
Neal sure
Kane sure but that a overpay by a lot

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I am totally on board with trading pacioretty, and muzzin is a solid player. But I would prefer if habs put a package together for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins instead. Oil need wingers and D-men. I wonder if Pacioretty + Carr + Benn + 2 rounder would be enough?

Regarding
Perron concussion city
Neal sure

The Habs wouldn't do that.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Yesterday we were supposed to rebuild and today we're suddenly buyers at TDL? This is ridiculous.

Nodoby said we were SUPPOSED to be rebuilding. Fans want a rebuild and so do i. But seriously, do you even think Molson cam close to consider it?? i seriously don't.

That was the premiss of my thread as in : ''Ok, we hope this happens but most probably, what will happen is totally different''.

Reactions: NoQuinn

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
With all due respect to Muzzin who is a good dman, just no as the Habs need goals as much if not more than another guy on d. Getting someone back that would actually replace the offence lost would not be easy.

E.Kane is to unpredictable and is a UFA at the end of the season and no he does not bring the same goal scoring as MaxPac, he has hit 30 goals on the dot once and that was 6 years ago. Neal is also going to be a UFA and with Vegas being very much in the playoff hunt I don't see them moving one of their most important offensive tools. Perron is more likely to be moved but does not bring anywhere near the offence Max, Evander and James do and of course is also a UFA.

Giving up a first and third and a prospect for a few months of Kane when the Habs are a bubble playoff team....not good asset management. It's especially dangerous if you consider that based on the mess this season has been, there is a good chance next season could be the same or worse and that pick could be a lottery one.

Kane for me is the perfect pickup for the playoffs. Got the grit, the speed, about the same 200 ft game Patches have and a pretty good scoring touch.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Regarding
Perron concussion city
Neal sure

Are you serious about that for RNH? Talk about a very huge overpayment. RNH would not get Max alone.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Kane for me is the perfect pickup for the playoffs. Got the grit, the speed, about the same 200 ft game Patches have and a pretty good scoring touch.

That's a lot to give up for the playoffs considering it has better odds of being a short playoff than a long one. A 2019 first could very well be a lottery pick depending on what moves are made between now and then, especially this coming summer.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Agreed. Overpayment. But RNH is pretty good player and he would fill a big need on our team.
What second center? RNH has become overrated because of a strong start but is starting to slow down. He is currently on pace to about match his career highs of 24 goals and 56 points while making over $6M a year I believe.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
What second center? RNH has become overrated because of a strong start but is starting to slow down. He is currently on pace to about match his career highs of 24 goals and 56 points while making over $6M a year I believe.

I think that's his normal pace more than anything, while being great defensively.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think that's his normal pace more than anything, while being great defensively.
Problem is he has reached that twice but then fallen off a cliff offensively the last two season. If you add that he signed at $6M for three more season after this one you are suddenly taking a big gamble as his contract along with the cap hits from Price and Weber suddenly are taking up about $25M in cap space or about 32% if the expected $80M cap next season. If we are going to have a forward that takes up that much cap room he better be a blue chip producer.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Problem is he has reached that twice but then fallen off a cliff offensively the last two season. If you add that he signed at $6M for three more season after this one you are suddenly taking a big gamble as his contract along with the cap hits from Price and Weber suddenly are taking up about $25M in cap space or about 32% if the expected $80M cap next season. If we are going to have a forward that takes up that much cap room he better be a blue chip producer.

I agree he is overpaid by about 1M$. But considering we currently are paying Plekanec 6M$...

AS for the bold, there are none disponible.

But at the end, i can understand you don't want to trade Pacioretty for RNH.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I agree he is overpaid by about 1M$. But considering we currently are paying Plekanec 6M$...

AS for the bold, there are none disponible.

But at the end, i can understand you don't want to trade Pacioretty for RNH.

It's a gamble that could very well payoff or could hurt the team more as Max is a goal scorer and RNH is not but is a good setup man. Who does he set up? Drouin is also more of a set up man than goal scorer. Galchenyuk? Would he maybe click with RNH and become a consistent 30+ guy?

DConn902

Dec 22, 2016
Price and Weber suddenly are taking up about $25M in cap space or about 32% if the expected $80M cap next season.

I believe you are looking at their respective Salaries which is completely different from the cap hit. Price will be a 10.5M cap hit and Weber 7.85M. So for a little more than 18M its looking more like 22-23% should the cap rise to 80M.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I believe you are looking at their respective Salaries which is completely different from the cap hit. Price will be a 10.5M cap hit and Weber 7.85M. So for a little more than 18M its looking more like 22-23% should the cap rise to 80M.
I meant with the $6M from RNH also I kind of worded it awkwardly.

thebonscott

Jun 1, 2017
VALUE
center>>winger
6M for a first or second line centre is excellent.

RNH>> any centre we have, including Drouin who i love

At some point Pacioretty gone, as his next contract will be huge, and he not worth it as would be paying for past goals.
Bergevin trades for guys with term on good contracts, as a rule.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
If and when you trade Paciretty you need to get back a package in return especially a future #1 center like....Lias Andersson,Henrik Borgstrom,PLD.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
This King fan would like to back out of my Muzzin + for Patches + offer. I think our forward group is full and we will need to actually rid ourselves of a couple when Clifford and Carter get back. However if Petry is available i could see us making a offer.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Yesterday we were supposed to rebuild and today we're suddenly buyers at TDL? This is ridiculous.

4 wins in a row doesn't prove anything, but:

1. They weren't as bad as the 1-6 start. The group just played as bad as it possibly could collectively.
  2. Jerabek is a solid, NHL caliber puck mover. His insertion helps a lot.
  3. Schlemko is a good 4-6 guy, who can also skate and move the puck.
  4. Petry has massively stepped up his play since Weber went out. He's playing as many minutes as Weber does and playing well. He was off to a horrible start playing the worst hockey I've seen him play.
  5. Of the 4 wins, only Columbus represents a true playoff test. To be .500 now, after that start, is a good thing. Let's see where they are on January 1. I'm not prepared to call them buyers at this point. I'm still not enthused with the idea that Bergevin is allowed to do the buying or selling.
  6. If they're a bubble team in January, I sell.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
4 wins in a row doesn't prove anything, but:

1. They weren't as bad as the 1-6 start. The group just played as bad as it possibly could collectively.
  2. Jerabek is a solid, NHL caliber puck mover. His insertion helps a lot.
  3. Schlemko is a good 4-6 guy, who can also skate and move the puck.
  4. Petry has massively stepped up his play since Weber went out. He's playing as many minutes as Weber does and playing well. He was off to a horrible start playing the worst hockey I've seen him play.
  5. Of the 4 wins, only Columbus represents a true playoff test. To be .500 now, after that start, is a good thing. Let's see where they are on January 1. I'm not prepared to call them buyers at this point. I'm still not enthused with the idea that Bergevin is allowed to do the buying or selling.
  6. If they're a bubble team in January, I sell.

I agree on all points. I just find it kind of funny all the Habs fans just wanted to trade Price, Weber, Patches etc. but after getting these 4 wins in a row there's suddenly a proposal for acquiring Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad