Proposal: Habs trades for a rebuild

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I know many of you are probably frowning or thinking "great another one of these".... I'll try my best to make them fair for both teams and make sense:

To Edmonton: Max Pacioretty

To Montreal: Jesse Puljujarvi and 2018 1st round pick.

Why they do it: Oilers get a trigger man with size, speed and someone who doesn't have to be the main guy in Edmonton. Also has a great contract and adds depth to the wing for a playoff run. Habs get a up and coming right winger with size, and a first rounder in a deep draft.

To Calgary: Brendan Gallagher

To Montreal: Sam Bennett and 2018 second round pick.

Why they do it: Gallagher adds depth to the right side on the Flames roster, and is somebody that can slide up and down the roster. Has ability to score and goes to the dirty areas and gets under opponents skin. Bennett has struggled so far this season but has talent and would get more opportunity to develop as a bonafide number two center in Montreal.

To Pittsburgh (at deadline): Tomas Plekanec
At 50% retained

To Montreal: 2018 2nd round pick

Plekanec joins the Pens as a third line shutdown center, anchoring the PK and defensive abilities at which he still excels, while getting a shot at a cup.

Habs get a 2nd rounder for eating half the salary.

That would leave the Habs with 2 first round picks in the 2018 draft, and 5 second round picks. One of those first rounders would certainly be a lottery pick, where they could draft a top defenseman (Dahlin) or center (Tkachuk) to help expedite the rebuild.

Habs lineup in 2018: (Ideally)

Scherbak - Drouin - Galchenyuk
Lehkonen - Bennett - Puljujarvi
Hudon - Danault - Shaw
Byron - McCarron - Mitchell

Dahlin - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Lernout/Juulsen

Price
Montoya

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Puljujarvi alone gets you Pacioretty. Either that or Pacioretty walks in 1.5 year

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I just don't think the McDavid line is what Edmonton should be looking to upgrade. Maroon already works great there and the line was already one of the best in the league last year. Maybe I'm just not as down on Puljujarvi as others but that seems like a lot to give up for a not so pressing need. I would be much more inclined if I were Edmonton to offer Pulu + 1st for a puck moving PPQB.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Calgary isn't adding to Bennett. I like Gallagher but from the Flames POV it makes sense to keep Bennett and see if he can develop into the #2 C role.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d move Puljujarvi with an add for Patches. Not sure about adding the first.

If Montreal is going full rebuild would this be fair?

Puljujarvi
1st
Strome
Jones
2nd
Fayne (cap reason)

Gallagher
Patches
Petry

Maroon McDavid Gallagher
Patches Draisaitl Yamamoto
Lucic Nugent-Hopkins Kassian
Jokinen Letestu 12th rotation

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Petry
Nurse Benning

Last edited:

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Calgary isn't adding to Bennett. I like Gallagher but from the Flames POV it makes sense to keep Bennett and see if he can develop into the #2 C role.
#2c tend to get points. Hopefully for Calgary 's sake he finds his scoring touch. But boy it doesn't loom like it right now.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I’d move Puljujarvi with an add for Patches. Not sure about adding the first.

If Montreal is going full rebuild would this be fair?

Puljujarvi
1st
Strome
Jones
2nd
Fayne (cap reason)

Gallagher
Patches
Petry

So lets break this down.

Pactches, Gally = Poolparty & 1rst + 2nd
Petry = Strome + Jones

This deal is really fair unless im really under rating Petry around the league. Also, Habs are giving too much salaray. Edm takes on around 14M. So I guess u need to send back some salary in addition to fayne who i assume is making max 2-3M$ AAV

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
So lets break this down.

Petry = Strome + Jones

This deal is really fair unless im really under rating Petry around the league. Also, Habs are giving too much salaray. Edm takes on around 14M. So I guess u need to send back some salary in addition to fayne who i assume is making max 2-3M$ AAV

I’d look to move Russell and his 4 million in another deal for a late pick

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
So lets break this down.

Petry = Strome + Jones

I don't see how Patches and Gallagher (which both are on sweet deals) wouldn't fetch more thab Puljujarvi, a first and a second. In my opinion, that's not even close to being full value for both players. We could probably get much more by creating a bidding war over the league (and selling then separately)

Petry is a very good #3 and he could probably fetch more.. or better assets for Habs. Also, I doubt he waves his NTC to the team that first traded him because he didn't want to sign an extention with them

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I don't see how Patches and Gallagher (which both are on sweet deals) wouldn't fetch more thab Puljujarvi, a first and a second. In my opinion, that's not even close to being full value for both players. We could probably get much more by creating a bidding war over the league (and selling then separately)

Petry is a very good #3 and he could probably fetch more.. or better assets for Habs. Also, I doubt he waves his NTC to the team that first traded him because he didn't want to sign an extention with them

Jones is almost NHL RD he’s a really good prospect. I’ll admit Strome doesn’t hold high value yet he’s still got high potential and is a proven middle 6 player and versatile

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Jones is almost NHL RD he’s a really good prospect. I’ll admit Strome doesn’t hold high value yet he’s still got high potential and is a proven middle 6 player and versatile

What I meant is if Habs are selling they will want younger assets. Strome becomes a no-no. We could also fetch a better prospect than Jones (In my opinion -- Not that I don't like him or value him).

There's also Petry's NTC which would probably kill any deals Habs and Oilers agrees on

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

not too many contending teams have the prospects of the potential of Poolparty. Poolparty will be a massive piece of our future.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
not too many contending teams have the prospects of the potential of Poolparty. Poolparty will be a massive piece of our future.

No one knows that for sure. At the moment, he's still a prospect that has yet to prove anything in this league or AHL. If he showed progression in his first NHL season with decent stats - 25-30 pts, then I would be all over the trade. However, as I said, right now he's still just a prospect (albeit a very good one/blue chip) and I don't think he showed enough to justify trading Patches for him... At least not at the moment

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I don't want to trade Gallagher, I think he's the right kind of guy to have around setting ane xample for young guys if Montreal does go into some kind of rebuild

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Scherbak - Drouin - Galchenyuk
Lehkonen - Bennett - Puljujarvi
Hudon - Danault - Shaw
Byron - McCarron - Mitchell

does this look good to anyone? There is some youth and skill but I can't see that group winning many games... If the Habs do want to go younger they should try to move Price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad