• Chiarot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kulak

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Since it’s now the off-season for the Habs I thought it would be an interesting idea to rank the Habs assets. These are current players, prospects, and future draft picks.

From the Habs perspective if they were looking to trade any asset which asset would return the most back in a trade.

Basically the higher the rank the more it would take for another NHL franchise to acquire that asset and the more valuable that asset is to the Habs franchise.

This does not mean the Habs are going to trade or want to trade that asset.

Things to consider when voting:
  • Talent
  • Contract situation, how many years left on their current contract, status at the end. Information can be found here - Montreal Canadiens - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
  • Position (for example centres are typically more important than wingers)
PositionPlayer% of vote
1​
Suzuki​
70.8​
2​
Kotkaniemi​
72.4​
3​
Price​
26.7​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Price n.3??? :loony:

Gallagher, Caufield and Danault would fetch a much better return than Price.

He's a 33 year old goalie on a 10.5 mil a season contract! Are some here expecting 2 1st round picks if he was traded away?
lol. Gallagher's done, Caufield is an unproven, potentially unidimensional midget, and Danault is a #3C. Any team going for cup would love Price. Doesn't mean we wouldn't have to take a cap dump.

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Am I wrong ?

How can you think a prospect (mid 1st round pick and less) have more value than an actual main piece of a team in the NHL. I get the contract (soon to be UFA) play a big part.

Something I notice over the years...we always have awesome prospect...but if 1-2 prospect make it per years...it’s good.

So for example...

Caufield: for me, there is a bigger chance he doesn’t make it (I mean be an impact player, 1st/2nd line). If you truly believe he has a 100% chance of making it... scouting would be much easier.

If someone offer me a caufield for Webber...the answer is easy for me

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

He's a 33 year old goalie on a 10.5 mil a season contract! Are some here expecting 2 1st round picks if he was traded away?

Yeah I wonder if people factored into the equation that any trade involving price would likely require eating a chunk of his salary before we even get to a potential return.

That factor hurts his value right off the hop.

Reactions: calder candidate

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013

Uhm are you high?
It’s Carey price.

He fetches 3 late first in subsequent years and a prospect.

mid pacio got Suzy Tatar and Norlinder then price gets you more..

Reactions: Gamimenos

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Am I wrong ?

How can you value a prospect (mid 1st round pick and less) have more value than an actual main piece of a team actually in the NHL. I get the contract (soon to be UFA) play a big part.

Something I notice over the years...we always have awesome prospect...but if 1-2 prospect make it per years...it’s good.

So for example...

Caufield: for me, there is a bigger chance he doesn’t make it (I mean be an impact player, 1st/2nd line). If you truly believe he has a 100% chance of making it... scouting would be much easier.

Prospect for a star player one for one? Sign me up.

Reactions: Gamimenos

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Uhm are you high?
It’s Carey price.

He fetches 3 late first in subsequent years and a prospect.

mid pacio got Suzy Tatar and Norlinder then price gets you more..
Yeah because clearly Pacioretty and Price have the same salary and years.
Your post don't make any sense.

Nobody is gonna overpay for Carey Price at 10.5m for 7 years without salary retained

we are talking about value in a trade here.

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Am I wrong ?

This is a loser mentality. You build a team for win the cup. So today, im askingto you. Would you choose between caufield or weber if next year you want to win the cup? You gonna receive many calls for weber. No one for caufîeld. Caufield has only value for montreal.

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
This is a loser mentality. You build a team for win the cup. So today, im askingto you. Would you choose between caufield or weber if next year you want to win the cup? You gonna receive many calls for weber. No one for caufîeld. Caufield has only value for montreal.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough for you.

By easy answer, I meant I would not accept an offer like that. Obviously Weber has more value than Caufield.

The question is simple. Context change almost nothing here. Rebuilding or contender...doesn’t change anything...

I have no idea why you start your post the way you did

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Reading this thread, and how everybody seem pretty sure of their totally different opinions, I conclude that we have absolutely no clue as a group (I include myself in this) what the players true trade value is.

If some NHL exec is reading this thread, I'm sure they must have a good laugh.

I'm having a lot of trouble myself to evaluate the value of soon to be UFA, like Danault, Gallagher, Petry and Tatar. It probably fluctuates if the team acquiring them believe they can re-sign them or not.

Last edited:

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Yeah because clearly Pacioretty and Price have the same salary and years.
Your post don't make any sense.

Nobody is gonna overpay for Carey Price at 10.5m for 7 years without salary retained

we are talking about value in a trade here.

We will probably never know because Price will not be traded during his prime years. You may claim it is because of a lack of trade value, but MB and many others would claim it is because he is too good of a player to trade and that trading a player like him has bad repercussions on the team for years.

Reading this thread, and how everybody seem pretty sure of their totally different opinions, I conclude that we have absolutely no clue as a group (I include myself in this) what the players true trade value is.

If some NHL exec is reading this thread, I'm sure they must have a good laugh.

I'm having a lot of trouble myself to evaluate the value of soon to be UFA, like Danault, Gallagher, Petry and Tatar. It probably fluctuates if the team acquiring them believe they can re-sign them or not.

It's definitely not possible to know in all cases. Even GMs evaluate and guess to the best of their ability. I think that, if Buffalo GM knew what Scandella would fetch at the deadline, he would have asked for more.

I also believe that the real trade value and the ability for a GM to get the best deal for a player is two different things. If two GMs or more are willing to go in a bidding war for a player, you may get a very nice price for a player. In a different circumstance, you may have to sell low on a better asset.

A good example is TB this year deciding they needed to add grit to avoid playoff failure like the previous year. They were willing to pay much more for Goodrows and Colemans than they would have the previous year. A team selling such a player this year was in a better position than last year.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
lol. Gallagher's done, Caufield is an unproven, potentially unidimensional midget, and Danault is a #3C. Any team going for cup would love Price. Doesn't mean we wouldn't have to take a cap dump.

I think there should be more options for Price and Weber. The trade value of Price at 8m is much better than at 10.5.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Am I wrong ?

How can you think a prospect (mid 1st round pick and less) have more value than an actual main piece of a team in the NHL. I get the contract (soon to be UFA) play a big part.

So for example...

I agree. I'd even say you fetch more in a trade for Weber and Price, and many other guys than you do for Kotkaniemi.

Let's get real. He's shown some promise in the playoffs, but to non-Habs fans, it doesn't mean a whole lot of things. The team that gets him sees the 8 points he got this season and the 30 points the season before. You're not selling your mother for a guy like that.

Suzuki, though, I could see some teams giving very solid assets to get him. But I think a contender that looks to win now would possibly give an even higher return for either Price or Weber. Pretty sure Colorado would sell its right kidney to get Price. And pretty sure a team like the Jets would give up tons of assets to get Weber.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad