Confirmed with Link: Habs trade Danny Kristo to NYR for Christian Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So what are we expecting from Christian Thomas this year? I know many fans pincelled Kristo onto Habs 3rd line this year. Make me wonder.

That's probably just people who REALLY like to be wrong about their predictions.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Wouldn't surprise me if Thomas was acquired to replace Gionta.

Gionta & Briere are both on the last legs of their career, Gionta may have a few more years, but I don't see the captain being given an extension unless its at a discount, and a more specific role.

players like Thomas, Collberg, Gallagher, they may lack size, but make up for that with their skill, speed, or tenacity, and they'll mesh nicely with both the players we have now in our core (Eller, Galchenyuk, etc...) and the prospects in the pipe line that have some size to them. DLR & Crisp (Like it or not) both have big size that will be welcome additions to the roster, and that's not even slotting in 6'5 McCarron. I think Montreal will have a unique roster, but it will be well balanced.

Exactly how do you place Thomas with the likes of Collberg and Gallagher? Other than "size"? Collberg is a proven and highly touted U18 international player that plays in a league the equivalent of the Swedish Premier League in his teens... Gallagher? Do you get paid for this, because I want in! Kristo, and yes I have seen him play, is going to bite us HARD! What is the saying? "Once jaded" I believe

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
People are thinking about how he wouldn't address our size issue when they should be thinking if he can become a NHLer or not. To know what his role will end up being in the franchise and for how long is unimportant.

The most NHLer you develop and you can ice, the better your franchise will be on the long run. It doesn't mean that size isn't important, but having depth (in the NHL and in prospect poll) is always a plus, no matter how big they are.

If Thomas can make it, great! It means he will have to be better than some others who are also auditionning for the same icetime. If he's replaced a year after by someone better (and probably bigger), and this new player will also have to be better than Thomas. It's the circle of life.

Having depth rase the bar for everyone, and this is way more important for the long-term health of a franchise than the average height of the players in a given season.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Exactly how do you place Thomas with the likes of Collberg and Gallagher? Other than "size"? Collberg is a proven and highly touted U18 international player that plays in a league the equivalent of the Swedish Premier League in his teens... Gallagher? Do you get paid for this, because I want in! Kristo, and yes I have seen him play, is going to bite us HARD! What is the saying? "Once jaded" I believe

I wasn't comparing skill, but highlighting their size, and then saying that though we have talented forwards who lack a few inches to be a "big menacing forward" by some people's standards, there are players coming down the pipeline such as DLR, McCarron, etc... who do have a good amount of size to balance the team. I didn't think I was being too ambiguous but my apologies if there was confusion.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I read earlier Sather had no idea who Kristo was or ever seen him play.
He went on the words of his scouts.

This is typical for Sather.....he really is clueless about the game. The single greatest benefactor in the history of the league of being in the right place at the right time.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Well the fact that NYR's have Kristo is just desserts as far as I'm concerned. Getting Thomas in return must really burn both NYR's & Tor.'s fans :laugh: Now I'm always interested in getting the best player in any trade but when the NYR's get a sampling of Kristo's act.:shakehead I wouldn't want to be the scout's that asked for the trade.

Thomas will have about 97% of the posters on this thread eating their words in the near future, I for one won't be on that list. Thomas will play for the Habs and while I don't expect him to carry the team, I do expect a player that gives his all every shift and competes the h... out of every other player on the ice. Oh yeah and he will produce that's something I don't expect from Kristo at least on the positive side, Kristo will be a negative side player for his team in the NHL. While Thomas will always be on the positive side no matter who his competition, Christian plays the game like his life and his teammates lives depend upon it, and that my friend is the type of player I would always choose for the Habs.:handclap:

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
:laugh:

Brutal.

Cracks me up to see everyone penciling Collberg,McCaron,Hudon,Bozon,DLR,Ghetto and Lehkonen etc. into the future line ups. We'll be lucky if 2 of them make it full time on the team.

And normally, the player that always ends up the best is one that we never acknowledged. So I wouldn't be shocked to see...Gregoire be the best of that bunch.

Actually, I would be extremely shocked but I just wanted to make a point.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
And normally, the player that always ends up the best is one that we never acknowledged. So I wouldn't be shocked to see...Gregoire be the best of that bunch.

Actually, I would be extremely shocked but I just wanted to make a point.

Doubt it, but I get your point :laugh:

I think it'll be Andrighetto, but just like the original point I made.. no one really has a clue.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Cracks me up to see everyone penciling Collberg,McCaron,Hudon,Bozon,DLR,Ghetto and Lehkonen etc. into the future line ups. We'll be lucky if 2 of them make it full time on the team.

I used to do that all the time as young man, I think when you live through a few different prospect changeovers you stop doing this. It's still fun to track and follow them but I don't pencil anyone in too often anymore. Some guys seem like sure-fires and never make it, others come out of the blue.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I used to do that all the time as young man, I think when you live through a few different prospect changeovers you stop doing this. It's still fun to track and follow them but I don't pencil anyone in too often anymore. Some guys seem like sure-fires and never make it, others come out of the blue.

lol man i know EXACTLY what your talking about, years ago i had the mentality that all our prospects would make it for sure, now, your absolutely right, its great to see all these collbergs, bozons, hudons, lehkonens, but honestly if only ONE makes it , ill still be thrilled

its just a different mentality now

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
lol man i know EXACTLY what your talking about, years ago i had the mentality that all our prospects would make it for sure, now, your absolutely right, its great to see all these collbergs, bozons, hudons, lehkonens, but honestly if only ONE makes it , ill still be thrilled

Eric Chouinard centering Terry Ryan is going to be sick!

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Well the fact that NYR's have Kristo is just desserts as far as I'm concerned. Getting Thomas in return must really burn both NYR's & Tor.'s fans :laugh: Now I'm always interested in getting the best player in any trade but when the NYR's get a sampling of Kristo's act.:shakehead I wouldn't want to be the scout's that asked for the trade.

Thomas will have about 97% of the posters on this thread eating their words in the near future, I for one won't be on that list. Thomas will play for the Habs and while I don't expect him to carry the team, I do expect a player that gives his all every shift and competes the h... out of every other player on the ice. Oh yeah and he will produce that's something I don't expect from Kristo at least on the positive side, Kristo will be a negative side player for his team in the NHL. While Thomas will always be on the positive side no matter who his competition, Christian plays the game like his life and his teammates lives depend upon it, and that my friend is the type of player I would always choose for the Habs.:handclap:

I doubt it, if Thomas is playing on this team with Briere, DD, Pleks, Gallagher and Gionta also playing, whether he plays well or not, there is nothing good that come from this. Other then the GM possibly getting fired and deservedly so, but if I'm wrong I'll be the first to eat crow.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I have been following prospects for over 30 years now and I roll my eyes at all of these future lineups that are posted. I was guilty of the same mistake at one point but have now learned to temper my expectations. This is the reason that the current management group has put such an emphasis on character as it is often what separates successful picks from busts.

I know that many of our more junior posters can find me to be condescending but when someone makes the same mistakes that you used to make and are adamant in doing so it can be very frustrating to deal with. I certainly don't claim to know everything and enjoy sharing and learning with other quality posters on this board.

I personally believe that Collberg, DLR and McCarron are very good bets to make it eventually as their makeup and strength's are conducive to the pro game. I am not much of a believer in Bozon and while I like Hudon he seems awfully frail. Lehkonen is a pure wildcard who could just as easily be an impact player in the NHL as a career Euro-leaguer who either never comes over or can't adapt to the more physical North American game. Andrighetto really intrigues me and Reway is interesting but screams a mini-Avstin/Keli Corpse/Corey Locke to me in relation to potential sleeper hype from over-exuberant fans. Fucale is a goaltender thus making his development completely unpredictable and a waste of time to try and prognosticate.

It is fun to watch these players develop and to discuss their respective progress on these boards. As long as we are dealing with as much objectivity as reasonably possible when doing so. It is the polar difference between fanboys and Hyper cynics that cause these discussions to deteriorate.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I personally believe that Collberg, DLR and McCarron are very good bets to make it eventually as their makeup and strength's are conducive to the pro game. I am not much of a believer in Bozon and while I like Hudon he seems awfully frail. Lehkonen is a pure wildcard who could just as easily be an impact player in the NHL as a career Euro-leaguer who either never comes over or can't adapt to the more physical North American game. Andrighetto really intrigues me and Reway is interesting but screams a mini-Avstin/Keli Corpse/Corey Locke to me in relation to potential sleeper hype from over-exuberant fans. Fucale is a goaltender thus making his development completely unpredictable and a waste of time to try and prognosticate.

It is fun to watch these players develop and to discuss their respective progress on these boards. As long as we are dealing with as much objectivity as reasonably possible when doing so. It is the polar difference between fanboys and Hyper cynics that cause these discussions to deteriorate.

Couldnt of said ANYthing in this last part any better, great great post
and i feel the same way about collberg, mccarron and DLR, to me, i truly honestly see them making it at some point , theres just something different about them (and of course simply just what they're each going to bring to the team), everyone else, exactly like you said, who knows really, but still fun to monitor them!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I wasn't comparing skill, but highlighting their size, and then saying that though we have talented forwards who lack a few inches to be a "big menacing forward" by some people's standards, there are players coming down the pipeline such as DLR, McCarron, etc... who do have a good amount of size to balance the team. I didn't think I was being too ambiguous but my apologies if there was confusion.

"players like Thomas, Collberg, Gallagher, they may lack size, but make up for that with their skill, speed, or tenacity"

You wrote this... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad