Speculation: Habs to bring back Joel Bouchard!?

MightyYo

Aug 10, 2021
I have been absorbing and pontificating on the Habs struggles this season so far. I believe coaching is our biggest problems. If it's time to pull the plug on Ducharme why not line up Joel Bouchard to take over. Maybe this is in process already. I was always impressed with his work in Laval and disappointed when he left the organization.

Reactions: themilosh

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I have been absorbing and pontificating on the Habs struggles this season so far. I believe coaching is our biggest problems. If it's time to pull the plug on Ducharme why not line up Joel Bouchard to take over. Maybe this is in process already. I was always impressed with his work in Laval and disappointed when he left the organization.

He's under contract already and I doubt Anaheim would be ready to let us speak to him right now. Plus, apparently a lot of shit happened on his way out and it's probably best we parted ways. Finally, he has no NHL coaching experience either and has just as much pro experience as DD. Granted, Bouchard has been a head coach longer, but I don't think he's the solution.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Let him make his NHL debut somewhere else. Maybe bring him back eventually, but not now. Look at Boucher, he was super promising in junior and NHL but never made a splash in the NHL...

I'm also pretty sure Bergevin would never sign Bouchard after how things ended...

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Let him make his NHL debut somewhere else. Maybe bring him back eventually, but not now. Look at Boucher, he was super promising in junior and NHL but never made a splash in the NHL...

I'm also pretty sure Bergevin would never sign Bouchard after how things ended...
What happened? First I hear of this, anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Reactions: Gyfu and Treb

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

What is maybe in the process already, that their looking to fire Ducharme or fire him and hire Bouchard?

Because while the Habs have the power to fire Ducharme, they won't do that not even 10 games into his new 3-year extension.

But more to that, Bouchard is under contract with the Ducks. Habs can't just go get him from there. Joel is not a free agent.

And even further than that, Bouchard didn't leave the Canadiens' organization only to return there a few months later.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
What happened? First I hear of this, anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Bouchard apparently wasn't seeing eye to eye with MB in regards to prospect development.

Bouchard took the job in San Diego because he was pretty much promised to take Dallas Eakins' job in Anaheim next year.

If you have an Athletic sub: Joël Bouchard’s departure from the Canadiens organization has a familiar feel to it

Behind a paywall but this article describes it well. He wasn't ever given a contract until after he became a free agent. Was given a choice to be in Laval or Montreal.

It's my personal belief he wasn't happy that Ducharme got the job instead of him.

Joël Bouchard’s departure from the Canadiens organization has a familiar feel to it

Edit: Beat to the punch.

That, and there were some comments from Bergevin about how he was unaware Bouchard didn't want to come back until he signed elsewhere, discussions weren't clear...

and Dale Weise had some harsh comments about Bouchard's coaching style on his podcast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gyfu

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Molson could offer to Anaheim Ducharme + Bergevin + 2nd round pick for Martin Madden Jr + Joel Bouchard

Seriously, I think the next Habs coach is in Arizona right know

Reactions: Habs10Habs

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
No one is getting fired 7 games into their new deal... Like it or not.
Especially not by the guy who gave him that contract. If nex year we have a competent gm, then Ducharme will be on a short leash, but speculating on his replacement is a waste of time for the next 11 months

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Bouchard apparently wasn't seeing eye to eye with MB in regards to prospect development.

Bouchard took the job in San Diego because he was pretty much promised to take Dallas Eakins' job in Anaheim next year.

If you have an Athletic sub: Joël Bouchard’s departure from the Canadiens organization has a familiar feel to it

About that first part... I'm not sure how to feel about this. Prospect development under MB has been... a disaster to put it mildly. It doesn't mean someone with a differing opinion has the right answers, but it sucks to read that MB wants to impose his philosophy on prospect development so much as to be a point of controversy when discussing a new contract.

MB can't leave soon enough. I'm sure he wants the best for this team, but it's just not working out

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad