News Article: Habs: The Original ONE baby

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Wow, came here to say "duh, who didn't know that..." never mind. I guess not everyone spent their youth watching hockey history docs...

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Well no matter the break down we owe it all to James Naismith.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I actually kind of enjoyed that. I'm assuming his facts are all correct here.

The original Toronto team (not the one left behind in NHA but the first NHL Toronto team) was called the Arenas. That's about the only place he was a little incorrect.

He's right they are treated like they are the "Inaugural Six" instead of the "Oldest Six". They are originals compared to the 24 expansion teams but some teams like the Canucks are actually pretty old. They existed since 1945. They just weren't originally in the NHL.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The original Toronto team (not the one left behind in NHA but the first NHL Toronto team) was called the Arenas. That's about the only place he was a little incorrect.

He's right they are treated like they are the "Inaugural Six" instead of the "Oldest Six". They are originals compared to the 24 expansion teams but some teams like the Canucks are actually pretty old. They existed since 1945. They just weren't originally in the NHL.

Ah, alright. I liked the part about the Victoria Cougars, even if they were 70 years before my time. :laugh:

Saintpatrick*

I loved this video. If you want to be technical about it the leafs have only really won 11 cups because they credit them with the St. Pats and 1918 Toronto cups.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I loved this video. If you want to be technical about it the leafs have only really won 11 cups because they credit them with the St. Pats and 1918 Toronto cups.

No, those are the same team.

If they credited Toronto with the Blueshirts Cup in 1914, that'd be a problem. It'd be like giving the Canadiens the four Cups of the Wanderers.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
It's Keith Olberman - doesn't really matter what he said, it must be wrong

IceHockeyfan

Feb 18, 2012
Habs were there before the league. Of course it's the original franchise. :p:

The Montreal Canadiens are the only surviving member of the Original Seven. The other so-called Original Six teams were created after the league was formed. The Canadiens are truly unique.

The NHL was actually created in 1909 as the NHA. The name was changed to NHL in 1917 for a silly reason but it is the same league.

IceHockeyfan

Feb 18, 2012

No. The 1917 Toronto team had no name at the time. The NHL in the 40s or 50s decided to give it a name for history records.

IceHockeyfan

Feb 18, 2012
No, those are the same team.

If they credited Toronto with the Blueshirts Cup in 1914, that'd be a problem. It'd be like giving the Canadiens the four Cups of the Wanderers.

Actually, the Blueshirts were the same franchise as the later Arenas and St.Patricks. The Maple Leafs could have counted that Cup if they wanted to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad