Confirmed with Link: Habs Sign Tyler Toffoli (4 Years @ $4.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DamianHabs

Aug 11, 2004
That’s because your looking at the positive. You can’t put the fall of the Habs On Drouin alone. We overachieved at the start of the season and could have fell no matter what. It was pretty clear we were not competitive this year.

If Edmunston is in fact a 6 D like a lot suggest it’s bad and it does not help the team.

If Anderson does not get his groove and gets stuck on the 4 pts in 26 games like last year, we have nothing more than a Travis Moen.

If Toffoli is really nothing more than another Drouin it could get really sad really fast and all those acquisition will serve to compensate for Domi’s lost.

Suzuki could really well get sophomore jinx or just stop progressing, for the moment we don’t know where is his ceiling.

KK could really just be not more than we seen this year and become a Lars Eller. In that case, we are jot more advanced.

The truth is we are probably a little improved. Is it enough to make us a playoff team... I’m still not so sure.

But the idea of all those new players looks really good. And one thing is for sure, for the first time in 15 years... we are now big, so it will change the dynamic of how we will play.
You lost me - completely - when you compared Anderson to Travis Moen. And there is zero comparison between Drouin and Toffoli. Might be a good thing to watch some games next season.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I don't really know him but seems like a great deal, so why didn't the nucks just sign him for that?

Was holding out hope for a Danault + for Laine trade but at least the Habs should be a lock to make the normal playoffs for a a change.
Because they wanted Schmidt more aparently... They couldnt afford both.

Reactions: montreal

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Congrats on adding Tof. He was my priority ufa signing for Vancouver - unfortunate it couldn't work out but I'm thrilled with Schmidt! Happy to see Tof go to one of my favorite Canadian clubs!

He looked fantastic in Vancouver I can't imagine he wont look amazing in MTL. Congrats on the add what a great contract too!

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Playing alot of team sports when I was a kid, a guy like JD is not what a TEAM needs. I can only imagine guys who go balls to the wall every shift think of this kid.

He has all world talent, and a zero brain.....and NO heart.

So, we will have to agree to disagree here, we would be better to get something, anything for a guy who slacks it almost all the time, all the while drawing a wage of 5.5M

1. The "I played sports" argument doesn't fly.

2. He puts up around 50 points a season. Points only arrive surrounding goals, thus he has a hand in around 50 goals. So saying it's not what this team needs is wrong. This team needs offense.

3. 5 million for fifty points is the going rate in this league to be honest. That neighborhood is what you pay for that, just like with toffoli.

4. I'm not defending drouin. Just saying that to give him away for nothing is not an addition.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Now if Bergevin can find a way to trade Byron + Lehky and sign Hoffman to a 4 year 6 million $ deal our bottom 6 could be;

Hoffman - Kotka - Toffoli
Poehling - Evans - Armia

:eek2:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't really know him but seems like a great deal, so why didn't the nucks just sign him for that?

Was holding out hope for a Danault + for Laine trade but at least the Habs should be a lock to make the normal playoffs for a a change.

I think C position becomes a weakness if we do that. We'd need to balance that with another trade like a winger for a C.

Think Danault+ for Laine followed by Tatar for a C.

Reactions: Gravity

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I haven’t seen him play much. Is he comparable to Micheal Ryder?
Not really. He’s not a pure static shooter like Ryder. Beats goalies with a quick release and smarts more than just grippin and rippin. Always seems to be in the right place. Plays an all around game too.

Reactions: dralaf

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yeah... sure. Because adding a 25 goals scorer (which Ryder used to do) doesn't really help us much...

Come on now.

?
I don't get your point.

Do you really not understand that this isn't ea sports?

Roster/team building isn't a matter of "adding" past stats...

Ryder is a perfect example of a player who scored a lot yet wasn't as useful to the objective of winning as his goal output might suggest to a superficial analysis.

Come on, you don't the no this is a video game, do you?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Toffoli at 4,25M versus Hall at 8M is a no brainer to me in our current circumstances. With Hall we would have had to get rid of a lot of salary to make it work.

Yes... And...

The only question that matters is wether or not we have the pieces in place to build a contender.

Hall + Lundquist/Murray > Toffoli +Allen/Edmundson.

So if we're talking from a full offseason lens... Hall was a better target/fit than Toffot, based on our needs, hands down...

Once we made the Allen/Edmundson moves, then yes, of course, we were limited & any subsequent move was framed by those limitations

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not really. He’s not a pure static shooter like Ryder. Beats goalies with a quick release and smarts more than just grippin and rippin. Always seems to be in the right place. Plays an all around game too.

Yes... I think we all hope that he'll be a better overall contributor than Ryder...

But, to be fair, at the deal he signed, if he's a 1-dimensional 30 goal scorer for the bulk of his contract, it's still good value (even if not enough to fill our needs)

Reactions: Doc McKenna

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Shout out to everyone just cherry picking deals after they are made and adding them up to make a roster! You guys make hockey forums great!

Reactions: HankyZetts

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Toffoli still remains hands down the best even strength player of the 2, much more complete and tougher to play against, he fits perfectly here...

I'm okay with toffoli, but hoffman was the better fit. Montreal already does well as a team in even strength situations. In that sense, toffoli is redundant.

Hoffman however, would move the needle quite a bit on the PP, where the habs actually have alot of room to improve.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I haven’t seen him play much. Is he comparable to Micheal Ryder?

Basically. I think Toffoli gets more dirty goals than Ryder did, but yeah pretty average skater, not great defensively, not super physical but he can score goals.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I wouldn't call the habs a lock to make the postseason at all, but their moves so far should theoretically make them more suited to the rigours of a long season, or in this case, a condensed season.

Hard to imagine that this particular lineup will go through a couple 7 game losing streaks like last year.

I at least expect more consistency this year, but certainly not a lock in my estimation.

Reactions: DavePeak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad