Confirmed with Link: Habs Sign Sami Niku to One year Contract

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Not a fan of constantly going for the cheap knockoff budget PMD every year, because I consider that type of player to be pretty important. But the move answer a need on paper, so whatever.
One of these is going to pay off eventually...we are due. Nice signing

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
It's not necessary to grasp at straws to find examples to 'bash' Bergevin's asset management skills. All one needs to do is say: Karl Alzner. A less than inspired free agent signing that will cost Montreal $1,958, 333 in cap space this year and $833,888 in both 2022/23 and 2023/2024. General Managers both in sport and in industry get fired for lesser errors in judgment.
Oh cmon...every GM has a mistake or 2 on their resume.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
To pile on the Petry trade, he did not do anything of significance until 29 or 30 years old - his 3rd full season as a Hab.

How many guys do that? I mean, be average well into their 20's and suddenly become staples on their teams?

And just because Reilly sogned a big contract doesn't mean he's now a great player

Petry looked like like a great find from the very beginning.

If your basing his significance based on his point total jump in his 3rd year, it coincided with markov's departure.... More opportunities.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Petry looked like like a great find from the very beginning.

If your basing his significance based on his point total jump in his 3rd year, it coincided with markov's departure.... More opportunities.

Did he look like a top NHL defenseman like he did the past few years?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Did he look like a top NHL defenseman like he did the past few years?

He looked good within the role he was provided. He can only show so much when he had Subban and markov ahead of him. It's the exit of markov, the trade of Subban, and the decline of Weber that continued to increase his role.

The only time I got frustrated with him for a long stretch was that year he got smoked by benn in dallas, but he was also playing through something back then.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He looked good within the role he was provided. He can only show so much when he had Subban and markov ahead of him. It's the exit of markov, the trade of Subban, and the decline of Weber that continued to increase his role.

The only time I got frustrated with him for a long stretch was that year he got smoked by benn in dallas, but he was also playing through something back then.

Thats fair, I was just saying that its very rare that a guy suddenly becomes a bona fide #1D around 29 years old - usually players peak before that.

In particular, letting go of Mike Reilly ahould not be seen as poor asset management since he was already 26 or 27 and was a borderline NHLer on our terrible defense. Petry is an exception not the rule

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
People just completely ignore context, cap space, and everything else...

That post is the same as blaming the Oilers for trading Petry... I mean it was a dumb trade for sure but Petry today is x10 the player he was at that time...

To pile on the Petry trade, he did not do anything of significance until 29 or 30 years old - his 3rd full season as a Hab.

How many guys do that? I mean, be average well into their 20's and suddenly become staples on their teams?

And just because Reilly sogned a big contract doesn't mean he's now a great player

IIRC, Petry wanted out of Edmonton.

They had to trade him or lose him for nothing as he was going to be UFA. They took the best trade they could so I wouldn't call it a dumb trade as much as a dumb situation caused by years of failings.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
As for Niku, it's a great situation for him.

Team is starved for PMDs.
Edmundson is currently injured so he only has to beat Ouellet, Schueneman and Belpedio for 7D. Then he just needs to do better than Wideman as 6D.

Even if he goes down, Laval 1st RD is open with Brook injured for months. Just need to beat Belpedio.​

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Thats fair, I was just saying that its very rare that a guy suddenly becomes a bona fide #1D around 29 years old - usually players peak before that.

In particular, letting go of Mike Reilly ahould not be seen as poor asset management since he was already 26 or 27 and was a borderline NHLer on our terrible defense. Petry is an exception not the rule
Petry is not a #1D. Never was. He's an excellent guy to have as your #2D, but he should not lead your blueline. He's too inconsistent.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
It's not necessary to grasp at straws to find examples to 'bash' Bergevin's asset management skills. All one needs to do is say: Karl Alzner. A less than inspired free agent signing that will cost Montreal $1,958, 333 in cap space this year and $833,888 in both 2022/23 and 2023/2024. General Managers both in sport and in industry get fired for lesser errors in judgment.

If hockey GM's got fired for Alzner type contracts there would be no GM's left in the league.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Petry is not a #1D. Never was. He's an excellent guy to have as your #2D, but he should not lead your blueline. He's too inconsistent.

Petry is definitely a #1D.
I dont see any inconsistency issues either unless you're talking about the playoffs where he was playing banged up.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Petry is definitely a #1D.
I dont see any inconsistency issues either unless you're talking about the playoffs where he was playing banged up.
Give me 3 healthy Petry’s and we would be competitive against Tampa last playoffs, even if some don’t consider him a #1 defenceman.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
@salbutera Apparently it was not actually confirmed officially that it's Covid related but he's not at the camp right now and the majority of HFNucks posters suppose it's related to Covid. :popcorn:

Didn't Hamonic not play in the bubble because of a child with a respiratory condition? I would assume he'd be vaccinated but has bigger things to worry about than hockey.

Jul 6, 2016
Didn't Hamonic not play in the bubble because of a child with a respiratory condition? I would assume he'd be vaccinated but has bigger things to worry about than hockey.
Hamonic doesn't want to be vaccinated.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Give me 3 healthy Petry’s and we would be competitive against Tampa last playoffs, even if some don’t consider him a #1 defenceman.
How many teams have what we call a true, #1d? And what's a true, #1d anyway? Petry is fine in that role. Not the best in the league, but not the worst either. Wish we had better depth tho, and I mean depth in terms of talent. Having 4 or 5 #5/6 isn't the kinda depth I'm talking about lol

Jul 6, 2016
As for Niku, it's a great situation for him.

Team is starved for PMDs.
Edmundson is currently injured so he only has to beat Ouellet, Schueneman and Belpedio for 7D. Then he just needs to do better than Wideman as 6D.

Even if he goes down, Laval 1st RD is open with Brook injured for months. Just need to beat Belpedio.​
you forget Wideman and Goloubev plus maybe Norlinder.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Its good to be a member of the ‘ole boys club’.
Even Steve Yzerman have some bad contract sign... Even in a market where he have the tax advantage. And Julien Brisebois was probably highly involved in those signing and they are considerate 2 of the best GM in the league

Ryan Callahan 5,8 AAV for 6yrs
Matt Carle 5,5AAV for 6yrs
Braydon Coburn 3,7AAV for 3 yrs

are exemple

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Even Steve Yzerman have some bad contract sign... Even in a market where he have the tax advantage. And Julien Brisebois was probably highly involved in those signing and they are considerate 2 of the best GM in the league

Ryan Callahan 5,8 AAV for 6yrs
Matt Carle 5,5AAV for 6yrs
Braydon Coburn 3,7AAV for 3 yrs

are exemple
Ineptness is more contagious than COVID.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad