Prospect Info: Lukas Vejdemo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I still think Avtsin just wasn't developed properly.. we brought him over too early.. if he would've been drafted into the CHL and brought him there, things might have been differently.. or had we left him in Russia to develop.. He had some good moments, but the coaching staff in the AHL really didn't do him any favors.

Hope lessons were learned

Same thing happening with Crisp right now and was happening with DLR at the start of the year. I'm almost in favour of sending late birthday guys back now.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I still think Avtsin just wasn't developed properly.. we brought him over too early.. if he would've been drafted into the CHL and brought him there, things might have been differently.. or had we left him in Russia to develop.. He had some good moments, but the coaching staff in the AHL really didn't do him any favors.

I've thought that there are 3 types of players/prospects:

1) The player who will make it no matter what development path he takes

2) The player who won't make it no matter how nurturing an environment he's in.

3) The player who needs that proper push and is more malleable to external circumstances.

I think Avtsin, Collberg and to a lesser extent Leblanc (though I know you didn't like him) are players who fall in the #3 category. Had Avtsin and Collberg been handled better (Collberg would've been better off in the CHL imo) I think they could've benefited big time.

Hell if I wanted to get really philosophical, I'd argue that those are the 3 types of people as well. ;)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Timmins said in his interview that he should make the U20 team.

well it's not looking good for him, he was left off the roster for Team Sweden at Lake Palcid

If he makes WJC team, I think it'll be a good indication that he'll be a keeper.

I don't think he has to make the team, it would be nice if he did but Collberg was one of the top scorers for the Swedes since the days of Petr the Great and things aren't going so great for him.

Avtsin couldn't do much of anything in the AHL, he should have gone to the CHL but I've heard that some don't want to go that route since they barely get any money, after making coin in their respective Euro clubs.

Same thing happening with Crisp right now and was happening with DLR at the start of the year. I'm almost in favour of sending late birthday guys back now.

Crisp was like Thrower in that he had an off-season injury that impacted him. I'm against 19 year olds in the AHL unless they are like DLR, already have NHL physical tools like size, skating, speed, strength.

I've thought that there are 3 types of players/prospects:

1) The player who will make it no matter what development path he takes

2) The player who won't make it no matter how nurturing an environment he's in.

3) The player who needs that proper push and is more malleable to external circumstances.

I think Avtsin, Collberg and to a lesser extent Leblanc (though I know you didn't like him) are players who fall in the #3 category. Had Avtsin and Collberg been handled better (Collberg would've been better off in the CHL imo) I think they could've benefited big time.

Hell if I wanted to get really philosophical, I'd argue that those are the 3 types of people as well. ;)

It's an interesting take on development. Not sure if you can squeeze all prospects into just 3 options.

A guy like Avtsin, he wasn't handled well by the coaching staff, but he also struggled to do much of anything so I don't know how it would have gone for him if he went the CHL route or was under a different coaching staff. I know I never understood why he was taken off Leblanc's line after they started to play well together.

Collberg his lack of physical strength was the concern, I haven't seen him since he was traded so I don't know how he was handled since then. Lots of skill though, still think he could so something some day.

Leblanc I think it's a mixture of things. Injuries hampered him, lack of mass/strength was a concern, the way he was handled in the AHL. His odd development path, being brought up too soon, lots of things went wrong there.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Kid is being interviewed on tsn690 right now.

He might have missed making the Swedish team due to a car accident that left him with 6 broken ribs. He went through rehab and has been playing since.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kid is being interviewed on tsn690 right now.

He might have missed making the Swedish team due to a car accident that left him with 6 broken ribs. He went through rehab and has been playing since.

did he say when the car accident was? I know the games aren't for like 6 weeks or so I believe.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
did he say when the car accident was? I know the games aren't for like 6 weeks or so I believe.

I believe there was a miscommunication during the interview. I understood it as, the car accident is what kept him out of commission for his first year of eligibility in the draft (13-14), but the TSN guys thought he meant the 2014-15 season.

Edit: looking at his eliteprospects page, I think I'm right. He played a limited number of games in '13-14

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I believe there was a miscommunication during the interview. I understood it as, the car accident is what kept him out of commission for his first year of eligibility in the draft (13-14), but the TSN guys thought he meant the 2014-15 season.

Edit: looking at his eliteprospects page, I think I'm right. He played a limited number of games in '13-14

that makes sense since I didn't think if he was back and the games 6 weeks away that it would keep him from making the roster. On the other hand I'd rather hear he missed for injury then just not making it.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
So TT seems to be really high on this guy.

For those if you who havent read Grant's interview with Timmins this is the piece about Vejdemo :

His first impression of Vejdemo was “Jeez..this guy’s a hockey player. I saw it first shift.â€

Timmins does see some similarities to Columbus center and fellow Swede Alexander Wennberg, the 14th-overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.

“I would say he’s a Wennberg type…I’m not saying he’s him.. but he’s smart, good vision, strong skater, puck possession, and he has strong character. He’s a good kid. We were very excited to get him.â€

Vejdemo, pronounced ‘VAY-de-mo’ is signed for 2 years with Djurgarden, and the plan is for him to play there, but if he still needs some seasoning he may end up in the Allsvenskan.

Timmins has high hopes for the young prospect. “He makes others better. I think he’ll be a second-line center..third line at worst. These days lots of teams have three lines that can contribute. This guyis going to produce.â€

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I'm trying not to get too excited over a guy who odds are against making the NHL, but the Wennberg comparison makes me very happy.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
When I watched his highlights video, I immediately thought of Eller but with a better vision.

I'm looking forward to see how he does this season in the SEL or Allsvenskan.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
We can say all the **** we want about Lefebvre... It's hard to blame him for Avtsin come on. If i remember correctly, the guy was at development camp and he was handling puck alone in the corner instead of doing the drills? Lol..

This being said, Vejdemo his hyped a lot, remind of Joonas Nattinen. He is impressive in the video and i can't wait to see him at development camp. He could be a great surprise

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We can say all the **** we want about Lefebvre... It's hard to blame him for Avtsin come on. If i remember correctly, the guy was at development camp and he was handling puck alone in the corner instead of doing the drills? Lol..

This being said, Vejdemo his hyped a lot, remind of Joonas Nattinen. He is impressive in the video and i can't wait to see him at development camp. He could be a great surprise

He had a wrist injury..

At 19 he had 20 pts in 58 games then 2 pts in 4 in the play-offs.
Then he started getting dicked around the line-up, scratched, all kinds of crap and never improved upon a pretty promising 19 year old campaign.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
A Swedish Scout Friend of mine mentioned to contact @Joelills who closely follows the Swedish Jr clubs and has seen Vejdemo more than most.

this is what he had to say -

James Stephan @J_Habs
Hey @JoeLills would you be able to tell me anything about new #habs prospect Lukas Vejdemo? What kind of player is he in your opinion?

Joel Lillbroända @JoeLills
@J_Habs Elusive, great skater, above average shot. Very similar to Wennberg at same age. Held back by injuries. Great development 14/15.

James Stephan @J_Habs
@JoeLills Do you think his package can translate to a top 6 NHL forward? Will he play with big Djurgarden club next season?

Joel Lillbroända @JoeLills
@J_Habs Very hard to say, I'd say by pure skills yes. But untried versus men. He'll have a chance in pre-season otherwise loan to SWE-2.

James Stephan @J_Habs
@JoeLills How would you rate his hockey sense? Offensively is he the type to be creative? or is he a north american style guy?

@JoeLills
@J_Habs He plays a "european" style game with good instincts to go to the net. He's an offense first guy, but that usually evens out vs men.

Rock On

May 29, 2006
Saint-Jean
So if I understood correctly everybody is going crazy over a player (according to Timmins) who wouldbe rated at something like 6.5 D ln hfboards ? That with Juulson who projects as a 4th or 5th dman, not top4 (according to Timmins again) is making me wonder if it wouln't be better to draft players with a better upside.

I have a lot of respect for Timmins btw, I'm just wondering

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
So if I understood correctly everybody is going crazy over a player (according to Timmins) who wouldbe rated at something like 6.5 D ln hfboards ? That with Juulson who projects as a 4th or 5th dman, not top4 (according to Timmins again) is making me wonder if it wouln't be better to draft players with a better upside.

Vejdemo has upside.

Went back and watched parts of his last games this season. He can really skate well and he's able to make plays at high speeds. Overall a really smart player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

After the numbers he put up in juniors as an older player, I would think his HF rating would be closer to 7.5D, but I haven't seen him play so it's a moot point. Juulson who I have seen, projects to be a top 4, perhaps better.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
After the numbers he put up in juniors as an older player, I would think his HF rating would be closer to 7.5D, but I haven't seen him play so it's a moot point. Juulson who I have seen, projects to be a top 4, perhaps better.

I'm with you on this one. I think he's between an 8.0D or a 7.5D purely based off what I've heard about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad