Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Jiri Sekac (2 years)

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yeah no idea I think it was bunch of tryouts and some ahl bound guys and prospects.

Even if his stats weren't overly impressive but they were decent consireding the guy played as a 21-22 year old in the KHL. He also was the leading cscorer of his USHl team at age 18-19. I can see the talent on this guy, good work Timmins.

Ultimately it's Timmins who makes the recommendation, but kudos to the Euro scouts. It's my understanding the Habs increased scouting manpower there since the arrival of MB.

I cant wait for rookie camp this year. All of our shiny new toys.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Ultimately it's Timmins who makes the recommendation, but kudos to the Euro scouts. It's my understanding the Habs increased scouting manpower there since the arrival of MB.

I cant wait for rookie camp this year. All of our shiny new toys.

It's sweet seeing the Habs having depth like they once had in the 70's again, and good luck to all of the promising prospects trying to earn a role this Sept.:handclap: So many really talented kids at the Training Camp that could make the team, it's an exciting time for Hab fans once again!

Oct 22, 2012
Hard not to set high expectations for this guy.

-Chooses habs over 15 other teams (fact that he choose us was big enough deal, but that there were 15 other teams means he opened a lot of scouts eyes)

-Stands out at development camp (as he should of according to his resumé, but still good to see)

-Practising with Pleks and Jagr over the summer can only help him

-Highlight videos look promising, showing a player with great poise, speed, skill, puck retreival, playmaking and two-way play.

Allan Walsh likes to exaggerate, but the fact that positive things are being said can only be a good thing.

Just weird seeing us land a young, free agent who was well sough after. I'll take it :yo:

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Heard on radio that Sekac is in town now. In fact, he landed here last Sunday. He practiced with Havlat and some other Czech players. He spent the morning in the gym, and the afternoon on ice.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
One of the most intriguing questions at training camp- "What exactly do we have in Jiri Sekac"?

habitue*

I can see him playing with Plekanec or Eller ang getting (depending if he is playing on a 2nd or 3rd line) betwwen 35 and 50 points.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I can see him playing with Plekanec or Eller ang getting (depending if he is playing on a 2nd or 3rd line) betwwen 35 and 50 points.

I can see him getting 4th line minutes with an entry level deal with some shifts on the third line and maybe get to kill some penalties and maybe 30 points if we are all lucky. I would say my prediction is close to what will happen. If he does better than that it will be all bonus. Eller will be the Hab that has to step up the most this year, they have shown confidence in him with the new deal and he had a good playoff run. I hope to see Eller get 50 points or I will be disappointed.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He will be given every chance to make the team, it's up to him and the other youngsters to seize the opportunity!

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I can see him getting 4th line minutes with an entry level deal with some shifts on the third line and maybe get to kill some penalties and maybe 30 points if we are all lucky. I would say my prediction is close to what will happen. If he does better than that it will be all bonus. Eller will be the Hab that has to step up the most this year, they have shown confidence in him with the new deal and he had a good playoff run. I hope to see Eller get 50 points or I will be disappointed.

You know how many players get 50 points with 0 PP time? Marchand was the only one and he still played on the top line at ES.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
With the Habs depth chart on forward, I'd be surprised if Sekac gets much PP time next season.

In the minutes he's likely to play, if Sekac gets more 25 points he probably had a good rookie season.

Similarly, unless Eller gets different role than he most years in Montreal previously, if he's above 30 points he likewise probably had a good year. Guys who get to 30 points on even strength are rarer than one might think (although Eller probably also gets a couple SH markers).

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I don't think Sekac is going to stay with the big club if he gets a minor role. He'll be in Hamilton instead and we'd get to see Bournival/Moen on a regular basis. The guy is really in a make it or break it situation. It's no half measures here, he needs to have the ambition to shoot for the Calder and nothing less.

Imho players like that (signed out of another pro league as rookies) need to want it more than anyone else in order to succeed.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I don't think Sekac is going to stay with the big club if he gets a minor role. He'll be in Hamilton instead and we'd get to see Bournival/Moen on a regular basis. The guy is really in a make it or break it situation. It's no half measures here, he needs to have the ambition to shoot for the Calder and nothing less.

Imho players like that (signed out of another pro league as rookies) need to want it more than anyone else in order to succeed.

One must take into account the Habs are taking the next step in building a team that can play for the whole enchilada. Sekac will play on the 3rd line, so to speak, with Eller and most likely Bourque. Each of Bourque & Sekac being able to switch off sides with one another, while Eller has learned the center's game in Europe and NA. Between these three a very disciplined defensive game is present, with the abilities to transition quickly to offence, they will give the Habs balanced scoring throughout the lines. Especially if JDLR manages to stick too, then the puck possession becomes a power point for the Habs and pressuring the opponents will become their gameplan, with puckmoving Dmen the Habs will score more often than in the past few yrs. quite easily.:nod:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
A good sign for Sekac is how on-target our pro scouting has been. He might be less of a crapshoot than we think, if our talent-assessment works as well in the KHL as it has in the NHL. Sekac could fit right into our 3rd line with a short adjustment period.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You know how many players get 50 points with 0 PP time? Marchand was the only one and he still played on the top line at ES.

Eller's role will be different this year, this has to be the year that he puts it together. He is getting paid to produce and he will get his opportunity. Or do you believe otherwise?

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Eller's role will be different this year, this has to be the year that he puts it together. He is getting paid to produce and he will get his opportunity. Or do you believe otherwise?

He's getting paid 3.5 million. Lets not act like that's supposed to buy you top 6 production here.

With all the other attributes he brings, a 30+ point season is fair value for that kind of money. Anything else is gravy.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He's getting paid 3.5 million. Lets not act like that's supposed to buy you top 6 production here.

With all the other attributes he brings, a 30+ point season is fair value for that kind of money. Anything else is gravy.

30 points is fair value for 3.5 million????? I feel like I could get 30 points in 80 games. I feel bad for Gordie Howe and Guy Lafleur.

PricePkPatch*

30 points is fair value for 3.5 million????? I feel like I could get 30 points in 80 games. I feel bad for Gordie Howe and Guy Lafleur.

Thats because you talk outta your ass on this one.

You obviously have no idea how good you still have to be to even be a bottom-feeder in the NHL

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Depends on what else he's able to contribute, but 30 is a bit low, I think, even for "just" $3.5 mil. A very unscientific taking of the average of all $3.5 million earning forwards from last year yields roughly 45 points as an "expectation", but players with significant worth outside of point production shouldn't necessarily be held to that "standard".

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

I just don't see him getting a lot of top-6 minutes or PP time to put up enough points.

Even with the raise, I still don't see him getting offensive opportunities ahead of DD, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, and PAP.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I just don't see him getting a lot of top-6 minutes or PP time to put up enough points.

Even with the raise, I still don't see him getting offensive opportunities ahead of DD, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, and PAP.

I could totally see a line of Sekac-Plekanec-PAP forming, though, if Sekac proves up to the task. I'm sure Bourque will grease his way in there to start, but... That could leave something like Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher, then maybe Prust-Eller-Bourque and Bournival-DD-Briere/Weise. Damn, I don't know how well that would hold up against the West, though. The real problem I see in there is the deadwood of $3-4 mil/year players that get relegated to the bottom 6 (DD, Bourque, Briere), where Eller will likely be, too.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Welcome to 2014.

30pts for a 3rd liner is reasonable. I think Eller will be closer to 40+pts though. His 50 game drought mess all his stats up last season, if we can give him 2 decent wingers, I'm pretty sure he will produce. If one of that winger is Bourque, well it will depend a lot on him, if we see the playoff Bourque, Eller will hit the 40pts mark easily, if we see the regular season Bourque, well a 30 pts season would be somewhat satisfying.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Thats because you talk outta your ass on this one.

You obviously have no idea how good you still have to be to even be a bottom-feeder in the NHL

I have been a Habs fan for at least 35 years and you do not need to define a bottom feeder player for me. I have seen quite a few of them wear the CH in that time frame. What does amaze me however is the way that they are valued while wearing our jersey as opposed to the way they are seen by the rest of the league in terms of talent.

We have always expected our goalies to be all world but the rest of the team not so much. Not talking out of my ass here but how many of you can look back and say that we are even a playoff team last year without Carey Price in net and the way he stood on his head? Or other great "playoff runs" with the likes of Jaroslav Halak, Patrick Roy or Jose Theodore and Steve Penney standing on their collective heads.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I could totally see a line of Sekac-Plekanec-PAP forming, though, if Sekac proves up to the task. I'm sure Bourque will grease his way in there to start, but... That could leave something like Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher, then maybe Prust-Eller-Bourque and Bournival-DD-Briere/Weise. Damn, I don't know how well that would hold up against the West, though. The real problem I see in there is the deadwood of $3-4 mil/year players that get relegated to the bottom 6 (DD, Bourque, Briere), where Eller will likely be, too.

Sekac will be given a role similar to that of Bournival last year. He will need some time to get used the NA style of play. I would be very happy if he steps in and is a star but that's not likely the case.

The Habs will struggle to score this year even more so than last year and I don't know where the extra scoring will come from. Our 5 on 5 scoring will be bad and we will rely on the PP once again to keep us in most games.

PricePkPatch*

I have been a Habs fan for at least 35 years and you do not need to define a bottom feeder player for me. I have seen quite a few of them wear the CH in that time frame. What does amaze me however is the way that they are valued while wearing our jersey as opposed to the way they are seen by the rest of the league in terms of talent.

We have always expected our goalies to be all world but the rest of the team not so much. Not talking out of my ass here but how many of you can look back and say that we are even a playoff team last year without Carey Price in net and the way he stood on his head? Or other great "playoff runs" with the likes of Jaroslav Halak, Patrick Roy or Jose Theodore and Steve Penney standing on their collective heads.

You can have that opinion with no problem. But dont start saying really stupid things like "I could do as much". That sort of ignorant talk just makes the whole room stupider, and you really come across as someone with no clue whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00