Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Jeff Petry for 6 years ($5.5 M AAV)

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
lmaoo Pietrangelo way better on defense eh? That's why he doesn't shut anybody down in the playoffs and doesn't do **** offensively either, losing on one of the best teams year after year in the first round? While Subban dominates defensively and offensively starting from his days as a rookie.

How many norris nominations or norris trophies does this overrated Pietrangelo have? How long we gonna hear about this ******** narrative on Pietrangelo by people who have seen 10 total games from Pie?

Team Canada's coaching staff seems to think Pietrangelo is better than Subban, PK was sitting in the stands while Pietrangelo played all the games.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
With the emergence of Beaulieu and Pateryn and several solid prospects in the pipeline I think Tinordi gets packaged for some scoring...

Unfortunately Tinordi has lost some of his lustre.
We absolutely needed him playing NHL minutes to validate his worth.
Too bad we weren't able to "transition" with him this year. :sarcasm:
It may have cost us all of four points in the regular season standings?
I fear this is one we messed up. Tinordi was playing better hockey two years ago.
The problem is he will probably blossom elsewhere. :(

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
You know that everybody in here but us and a couple more have no idea who you're talking about right? :laugh:

Mr Felix and Mr Norton tweeted their joy that mrs.petry, her husband and their dog would remain customers.

Mr Felix and Mr Norton is a cookie maker that started in Montreal, expanded then contracted. Their cookies were like 40% butter, 40% sugar, 10 percent flour and 10% chocolate.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Team Canada's coaching staff seems to think Pietrangelo is better than Subban, PK was sitting in the stands while Pietrangelo played all the games.

True but that can be related to a lot of things: chemestry with other Ds ( on and odd the ice), role needed, with comparable skills the coach can just like u better, etc.

I must say I was suprised however.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston

FWIW, I think they made the right call.

Pietrangelo is a steady D man. They didn't want anybody flashy outside of perhaps one D man, that being Doughty -- and to his credit he delivered.

Piet was part of a cohesive unit that for this kind of tournament of all stars, was what was called for.

In the NHL, it's very different. Subban>Pietrangelo any day of the week. They played the latter in the Olympics because it was a different team philosophy and they knew there wouldn't be any deviation, nor did they need any. And I'm fine with that. Clearly it worked.

Marc Edouard Vlasic was a top 6 guy. That says it all in terms of the D + F corps they wanted on the ice at all times. One team, not individuals.

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
Now, now. Don't let context and, you know, reality get in the way of a solid, stupid comment.

Well I know that when everyone here was screaming for Weaver to be signed to a six year, $33 million contract after that playoffs I was a little bit concerned. I mean, I thought to myself "won't the wheels fall off if they do that??" I thought it might be a good idea to sign him to a one year, cheap deal in the million dollar range so that he could provide some veteran depth and act as a safety net for Beaulieu, Pateryn and Tinordi in case they weren't quite ready for full-time action at the start of the season. I figured that a one year deal would be okay, because I believed that by the end of the year he would be replaced by one of those kids and his contract would be nothing but a dream at that point. But six years, $33 million for a 37 year old?? I couldn't believe people here were actually proposing that. Have him play as a #2 or #3 defenseman? Actually replace Markov in the future? What were people thinking?? Mike Weaver??

So yeah, I understand the original point. People were screaming the exact same thing with Mike Weaver last summer and what a disaster that turned into. I can't believe we're on the hook for another five years of Mike Weaver, at $5.5 million per year. Stupid Bergevin.

:sarcasm:

habs2731

Apr 7, 2015

Yes and so did Vlasic and Bowmeester.. And marty louis was snubbed for chumps like Kunitz. Ever think handedness and the fact that there were similar D like Doughty and Keith ever played a role in Subban not playing?

CGG

Jan 6, 2005

FWIW, I think they made the right call.

Pietrangelo is a steady D man. They didn't want anybody flashy outside of perhaps one D man, that being Doughty -- and to his credit he delivered.

Piet was part of a cohesive unit that for this kind of tournament of all stars, was what was called for.

In the NHL, it's very different. Subban>Pietrangelo any day of the week. They played the latter in the Olympics because it was a different team philosophy and they knew there wouldn't be any deviation, nor did they need any. And I'm fine with that. Clearly it worked.

OT but the only reason for this is Jay Bouwmeister. Canada was very deep on the right side but fairly week on the left after Keith - which is why Vlasic and Bouwmeister and Hamhuis made the team.

Doughty was a given to get big minutes. Same with Weber. After that I think the coaching staff stressed out way too much about who would play with who. If Jay Bouwmeister played on the Habs, you would have seen Bouwmeister-Subban as a pairing. But he played for the Blues and already had chemistry with Piets, so Pietrangelo got the ice time and Subban was stuck on the bench or in the press box.

No one actually believes the coaching staff thinks Hamhuis is better than Subban, but Hamhuis dressed more and got a lot more ice time - only because the left side was weaker. Ketih-Vlasic-Bouwmeister is not nearly as deep as the right side. So if you need a # 7 defenseman, might as well dress Hamhuis over Subban.

Saying "it worked" is a bit misleading too - Canada didn't win because Subban was benched. Naming Chris Kunitz to the team was also not the reason that Canada won.

habs2731

Apr 7, 2015
OT but the only reason for this is Jay Bouwmeister. Canada was very deep on the right side but fairly week on the left after Keith - which is why Vlasic and Bouwmeister and Hamhuis made the team.

Doughty was a given to get big minutes. Same with Weber. After that I think the coaching staff stressed out way too much about who would play with who. If Jay Bouwmeister played on the Habs, you would have seen Bouwmeister-Subban as a pairing. But he played for the Blues and already had chemistry with Piets, so Pietrangelo got the ice time and Subban was stuck on the bench or in the press box.

No one actually believes the coaching staff thinks Hamhuis is better than Subban, but Hamhuis dressed more and got a lot more ice time - only because the left side was weaker. Ketih-Vlasic-Bouwmeister is not nearly as deep as the right side. So if you need a # 7 defenseman, might as well dress Hamhuis over Subban.

Saying "it worked" is a bit misleading too - Canada didn't win because Subban was benched. Naming Chris Kunitz to the team was also not the reason that Canada won.
Exactly but you can spot who are the people making these comments a
Mile away, theyre people who criticize Pk every chance they get.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

That's because they decided to go with a pair that had prior chemistry in Boumeester-Pietrangelo rather than something potentially riskier in Vlasic-Subban. Makes sense given the context of the tournament but not an indication of who was the better player.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I don't recall folks screaming to re-sign Weaver to a hefty long-term contract....pretty silly to compare the two for several reasons..not the least being that Petry is/was top two or three on the depth chart and even the most optimistic Weaver fan saw him as a bottom pairing player. Petry is just entering his prime as a dman while Weaver is on the decline..so to surmise that Petry may follow a similar pattern because history repeats..comparing apples to hot pockets.

Not sure how folks can criticize Petry's acquisition and signing. The odds of drafting future top three dman with a second-round pick are quite low.....and the team's window to contend is right now...an 18-year-old dman isn't going to help this team for a while.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
We drafted Tinordi in 2010 and Beaulieu in 2011, Beaulieu is now starting to take his place and Tinordi still is having some struggles. Tinordi is entering his 6th season, that's the length of Petry's contract, people really think a 2nd round pick would have an impact like Petry down the road when the team is ready to compete now? Come on, it's was a great acquisition and it's a solid signing.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
I don't recall folks screaming to re-sign Weaver to a hefty long-term contract....pretty silly to compare the two for several reasons..not the least being that Petry is/was top two or three on the depth chart and even the most optimistic Weaver fan saw him as a bottom pairing player. Petry is just entering his prime as a dman while Weaver is on the decline..so to surmise that Petry may follow a similar pattern because history repeats..comparing apples to hot pockets.

Not sure how folks can criticize Petry's acquisition and signing. The odds of drafting future top three dman with a second-round pick are quite low.....and the team's window to contend is right now...an 18-year-old dman isn't going to help this team for a while.

well said

its akin to the Stralman signing last year.

Team is set in goal and D (for this year)

Work on the forwards now

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I can remember Weaver looking great in playoffs last year. Everybody on here screaming for him to be re-signed, then the wheels fell off

What is Weaver doing in this thread ? Petry is a #2-3, Weaver a #7...

I don't think many were screaming to get him back, but were happy when MB decided to give him 1 year, then mid-season it was quite clear that the guy was finished.

Petry on the other hand, seemed to thrive when he got used to da system, it eases a Defenseman's job when the forwards are commited to defense, and Petry is a smooth skater, exactly what this defense needed. I think any defenseman will look bad on a team like the Oilers, where all the focus is on getting moar and moar forward top picks, and to catter to said top forward picks, with a playstyle that absolutely dosen't care about defense, and even then, you can see that their offense is mediocre because they have no QB.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00