Post-Game Talk: Habs shut out by Oilers, first losing streak.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wonder if Armia can play center? You mention puck possession and he comes to mind. Hes good at protecting the puck and amazing at creating turn overs. Just a thought.

Armia protects the puck very well but his top end speed is not good enough. I'd actually try Mete at center to be honest.. in certain games. Wingers take the faceoffs and let Mete fly around with the puck where he can get creative with his skating. I think he could help with exiting our zone and creating time and space for his wingers.

Only guy we got who is a puck possession beast is Petry. This is an area of concern of mine... in terms of going on a deep run

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
It's funny that other team's fans think our team is fast. It isn't. Aside from Evans and Byron, I can't see who's that fast up front. Drouin maybe? Anderson is fast on a straight line. But he's not a fast skater like the other two.

We had intensity, for sure. But I personally believe it's misplaced intensity. You get tired fast by playing this style. This is a team built more like the Kings of old than the Habs of old. Sort of. It needs a short-pass game. Not this mumbo jumbo I'm seeing since teams have figured the Habs out.
We do have a quick team, but I think their reference has more to do with how we play fast, when we're on. Short passes, quick exits, etc...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's funny that other team's fans think our team is fast. It isn't. Aside from Evans and Byron, I can't see who's that fast up front. Drouin maybe? Anderson is fast on a straight line. But he's not a fast skater like the other two.

We had intensity, for sure. But I personally believe it's misplaced intensity. You get tired fast by playing this style. This is a team built more like the Kings of old than the Habs of old. Sort of. It needs a short-pass game. Not this mumbo jumbo I'm seeing since teams have figured the Habs out.

There's also Romanov and Mete

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Our tempo is fast and our forecheck in the offensive and neutral zones are dangerous. However, when we have the puck and trying to exit our zone with time and space, our team is not that fast. Two different areas that most don't understand. Suzuki, KK, Danault are not puck possession beast when you look at centers. They are solid in several areas and a better center depth vs what we had before but I see KK as the only potential puck possession beast down the road. I like Suzuki a lot but he's not going to burn you with skating.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
We do have a quick team, but I think their reference has more to do with how we play fast, when we're on. Short passes, quick exits, etc...
Yeah, when we have puck support. This system is not really about puck support as much as rushing the puck carrier to provoke mistakes in the O-Zone. It happened earlier on when teams were still getting their act together. It has happened every single season since I can remember. Our better system would be a 5-unit team, like the Laffs.

Reactions: Runner77

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I almost forgot about that. It adds-up to the chances CJ might leave if things don't turn around, and maybe even if they do.

Next year is his last year under contract. Although it’s not unheard of for coaches to go into their last year, it’s not standard practice. That means that at the end of the season, a decision on his future is likely.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Our tempo is fast and our forecheck in the offensive and neutral zones are dangerous. However, when we have the puck and trying to exit our zone with time and space, our team is not that fast. Two different areas that most don't understand. Suzuki, KK, Danault are not puck possession beast when you look at centers. They are solid in several areas and a better center depth vs what we had before but I see KK as the only potential puck possession beast down the road. I like Suzuki a lot but he's not going to burn you with skating.
Our tempo is too fast for the quality of skaters that we have. Thus the reason why this team is already spent. We can't play that up tempo system anymore. Our newfound best wingers would be more suited with a 1-3-1. Like the latest Anderson goal. We are wasting a shit load of energy trying to run at players in the O-Zone. It translates into some fatigued players come the 3rd period.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I mean why are we not skating? The whole year last year we were losing but we were still skating hard and a bounce or two away from winning most games. 4 games ago we stopped skating. Not really sure why.

Reactions: angusyoung

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
There's also Romanov and Mete
Mete is not there. Romanov is not a speedster, but he's like Petry. Smooth. But we saw the difference yesterday. We were slow as molasses compared to this 3-player squad called the Oilers. It's been the case against Ottawa and Toronto too.

I don't believe in this system.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Next year is his last year under contract. Although it’s not unheard of for coaches to go into their last year, it’s not standard practice. That means that at the end of the season, a decision on his future is likely.

IMO, the next 3 weeks are crucial. If Habs don't get over the hump by then, I think it'll be the end of Julien in Montreal. All depends if the players are still listening or not, if the message is getting through and if the mea culpas we're hearing are not just simply lip service. And if Julien can adapt.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I mean why are we not skating? The whole year last year we were losing but we were still skating hard and a bounce or two away from winning most games. 4 games ago we stopped skating. Not really sure why.
Burned energy? Players not believing we're playing the best system for their capabilities?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our tempo is too fast for the quality of skaters that we have. Thus the reason why this team is already spent. We can't play that up tempo system anymore. Our newfound best wingers would be more suited with a 1-3-1. Like the latest Anderson goal. We are wasting a shit load of energy trying to run at players in the O-Zone. It translates into some fatigued players come the 3rd period.

At the end of the day, our team strength is causing turnovers in the offensive end and neutral zones. We are dangerous in transition in that area cause the forwards then have time and space going the other way. However, when the other team is in position and we have the puck going towards them, I'm not seeing anything dangerous at all! We are getting lots of shots but weak ones cause they are kept outside the box

Our speed without the puck is different than with the puck. If that makes any sense

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It might be true during a regular 82 games season. Not this year. The GM won't be patient. The coaching staff needs to deliver. And, strategically, because of the compressed calendar, the 'window of opportunity' for a coaching change is next week. There aren't any after that. So if they lose against the Laffs, it could happen. Marc is pissed right now (evident by his non-verbal language caught on TV yesterday). He's not happy.

Claude's system has been the same for years. It is not adapted to the staff he has right now. This is not a fast skating team, like before, when we had midgets who couldn't score, but could skate (i.e. Byron, Weal, Cousins, etc.). This is a team with some more heavy forwards, who need to play a much more puck control system in zone entry. And more puck support down low. This is a team that would thrive with more of a 1-3-1 (I know, gosh, how boring) system, than this pressure-2 that is fine and dandy with speedy players, but tires the heck out of ordinary skaters. We need to clog down the neutral zone. Players like Anderson and Toffoli thrive on the rush, when they jam up the neutral zone. Case and point : Anderson's goal against the Laffs. It was a textbook new Habs'-like goal, manufactured by the clogging of the neutral zone and on one of their most reliable defenders (Muzzin).

This is a different team than what Claude had before.

Toronto has adapted well to this. I love their system right now. And yes, they have more firepower, but we're not too shabby if we think of it. Also, it would allow our bigger, but 'slower' forwards to keep their energy level over 60 minutes. Right now, all I see is some players skating like maniacs for 10 minutes, all over the place, flipping the puck to the Ds at the blue line, who, in turn, shoot randomly at the net like it was Boston -circa 2010. But have no energy left for the rest of the game. Teams have adapted to our rush-style. Need to adapt.

In our zone, the slower Ds have problems because our forwards are way too high most of the time. Same thing here. That is why Toronto is better. Their Ds have better puck support.

Funny to say this, but it's my opinion that Jacques Martin's old system (where the unit of 5 was playing lower) would be better with this squad than Julien's.

Not sure Julien will change his system, though. Only because during this week's practices, he put emphasis on the pressure to the puck carrier in the offensive zone. With bigger bodies on the wings, you need to clog the neutral zone. Not rush them on the puck carrier. But that's just my opinion.

As of today:

The Habs are the 4th best scoring team in league.
The Habs allowed 18 goals at 5-on-5 in 14 games, which makes them the best NHL team in that category.
Tied for 2nd place in the NHL for regulation wins
34.8 shots on goal per game, Habs are 1st in the NHL
28.8 shots on goal against, which is good for 11th place in the NHL

What is the results you are expecting from a coaching change at this point?
You're saying a lot of things but numbers are saying the opposite and the next coach you put there better be the best one available cause anything less than that would be a failure.

Habs have problems.
- We have 11:51 penalty minutes per game, 2nd worst in the NHL, Most team are around 8-9 minutes.
- We are 27th in the NHL for faceoffs.
- We are 17th on the PP and 19th on the PK

But I don't see a new coach being able to change any of that.....especially since our special units are mostly runs by the asst-coach.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
At the end of the day, our team strength is causing turnovers in the offensive end and neutral zones. We are dangerous in transition in that area cause the forwards then have time and space going the other way. However, when the other team is in position and we have the puck going towards them, I'm not seeing anything dangerous at all! We are getting lots of shots but weak ones cause they are kept outside the box
Yep, agree. Because we have let down playing to our strength, because the system is forcing our 3rd man too high (opponent teams have understood to bring a forward behind our defensive line, forcing the Habs to keep their 3rd forward wayy too high. It started against the Flames, and I believe Guy Boucher picked it up and showed it on RDS). Thus the reason why I think (and it's just me here) that a 1-3-1 would be more suited to our strength, which is having bigger wingers (and our top two centres, while - too? - young, aren't exactly small kids).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yep, agree. Because we have let down playing to our strength, because the system is forcing our 3rd man too high (opponent teams have understood to bring a forward behind our defensive line, forcing the Habs to keep their 3rd forward wayy too high. It started against the Flames, and I believe Guy Boucher picked it up and showed it on RDS). Thus the reason why I think (and it's just me here) that a 1-3-1 would be more suited to our strength, which is having bigger wingers (and our top two centres, while - too? - young, aren't exactly small kids).

I support this idea. Julien's system is too predictable and I wish they had several systems they tinker with vs being stubborn with just one. We need to keep the other teams guessing more cause if we don't, they will create a game strategy and neutralize our attack cause we are too predictable. I think the Leafs do that well at the moment... they are not afraid to try different things.

Maybe Julien should try to have a different system with each line? That would create some interesting mix and tough for the other coach to counter

Habs came out hot to start the year and now we are going to get the best of every team we face. This is what happened to us and it started against the Sens. Time to put our big boy pants on and go out there and work harder! All divisional games so it's only going to get tougher

Last edited:
Reactions: Yoor

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
As of today:

The Habs allowed 18 goals at 5-on-5 in 14 games, which makes them the best NHL team in that category.

You're saying a lot of things but numbers are saying the opposite and the next coach you put there better be the best one available cause anything less than that would be a failure.

Habs have problems.
- We have 11:51 penalty minutes per game, 2nd worst in the NHL, Most team are around 8-9 minutes.

But I don't see a new coach being able to change any of that.....especially since our special units are mostly runs by the asst-coach.

Different system. All around. And this is the week to do it. Our system is wrong. It's been wrong with this new team makeup. Teams have figured out how to play us : drop a winger very high in the neutral zone, quick passes out of the zone (like Toronto did), and pressure their bigger slower Ds (Habs forwards tend to play higher), who have no puck support for quick zone transition. If you dissect our games, this is what it looks like. The Flames started it. With success.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
As of today:

Habs have problems.

You don't see the writing on the wall. Last 4 games, 11 goals allowed, 6 goals scored. There's a definite huge downward trend and if it keeps going, change will be needed. Stop acting like there's zero indication of this.

Reactions: Tighthead

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
why would they believe that after winning so many games off the start,? Burned out? 10 games in? Hard to believe.

Even Momesso noticed it yesterday. Players just seem out of energy as the game goes along. And it's nothing new. It has happened for many successive seasons. We win early because pressure works when teams are still searching for their composure, and as the season furthers along, we get tired, we get less success with this system. It's been a trend for seasons now.

As for the PP, well, I do believe we have the ingredients to have it worked out. But this belief that the point guys need to have the best scoring chances is very 2010. You need to break the box down low in order for the point guys to get forward and have solid scoring chances. For that to happen, you need movement (which was the case earlier in the season), and a desire to work in close.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I wonder if CJ has lost a little fire since his health issues.

Coaching is an all-consuming endeavour, and it would be completely understandable if he’s in a different headspace now.

That's fine from a human perspective, but from a business perspective that's on MB to assess that and discuss it with Julien. If he's not in the headspace to be at his best, maybe it's time to look for his replacement or give him a little break.

Nothing against the guy but he's paid big money to coach and if he's not feeling it... that's not good

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki time soon.
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

The last few games they collectively appeared to have not been able to make the simplest of clean passes and thwarts any flow, it's as if they all have Novocaine hands.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
As for the PP, well, I do believe we have the ingredients to have it worked out. But this belief that the point guys need to have the best scoring chances is very 2010. You need to break the box down low in order for the point guys to get forward and have solid scoring chances. For that to happen, you need movement (which was the case earlier in the season), and a desire to work in close.

I don’t agree on personnel, but your point about the point shots is spot on. It’s harder and harder to get big shots off/through from the point. It almost has to happen from breakdowns, not by design.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
As of today:

Habs have problems.

How is the Habs offense/game without the Vancouver games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad