Habs should call up Pateryn

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Emelin just isn't cutting it on the right side. Pateryn has been solid defensively when hew's been called up and has shown some offense in Hamilton. I think it's time to give this guy a legitimate chance.

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Pateryn
Gorges - Diaz

Give him at least a few games and if he doesn't cut it then you can put back Bouillon :cry:

edit: Meant to write Pateryn in the title

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone know what Pateryn's status would be on a call-up, in terms of club options?

My understanding is that the Habs couldn't cut Pateryn next year without exposing him to other teams.

What is his status this year -- is there a finite number of times they can demote him without consequences?

As for the thread topic, he's played well enough to deserve a call-up. Who sits -- Diaz or Murray? Would be fun watching Bouillon complain with another body in his way.

habitue*

Anyone know what Pateryn's status would be on a call-up, in terms of club options?

My understanding is that the Habs couldn't cut Pateryn next year without exposing him to other teams.

What is his status this year -- is there a finite number of times they can demote him without consequences?

As for the thread topic, he's played well enough to deserve a call-up. Who sits -- Diaz or Murray? Would be fun watching Bouillon complain with another body in his way.

You heard him complain ???

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
simple solution : Gorges on the right

played most of his NHL games on that side.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
At this point he's probably better than Bouillon and/or Murray.

I wouldn't put him on the 2nd pairing though.

Markov-Subban
Emelin / Gorges - Diaz
Gorges / Emelin - Pateryn

It would probably be better for Greg's development if he just remains in Hamilton though. I could see him fighting for a spot next season when he's 24.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Emelin having to always clear the zone on his back side is not ideal. Pateryn IMO is ready but hey, what do I know?

NewHabsEra*

I didnt watch the Dogs much this season but I catched one about 2 weeks ago and Pateryn sucked.. Obvious lack of mobility and was defensively bad..

NewHabsEra*

I didnt watch the Dogs much this season but I catched one about 2 weeks ago and Pateryn sucked.. Obvious lack of mobility and was defensively bad..

Beaulieu was even worst and Tinordi was decent..

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Leading Hamilton in points and +/- for D definitely deserves a shot, how much worse can he be on the PP than Gorges or Cube

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think I rather see him getting 1st pairing in the AHL than 3rd pairrng in the NHL. I saw a hugh improve for last season to this year if he make half that progress progress this season he will be the 5th D next season. but if there is a injury he would deserve to be called up

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Emelin just isn't cutting it on the right side. Pateryn has been solid defensively when hew's been called up and has shown some offense in Hamilton. I think it's time to give this guy a legitimate chance

Not a fan of using Emelin on the right side, but Pateryn needs to continue his development in the AHL imo. No need to rush him now.

Pateryn can be recalled at will this year and next without having to go through waivers, unless he ends up playing 70 games in the NHL.

lack of mobility is likely the biggest knock on him, but he's usually solid in his own end.

westcoastCH

Dec 28, 2013
British Columbia
Would def. be nice to see the young guys develop. They'll make the mistakes along the way but we are not winning a cup right away. I really like Tinordi although he could play a little tougher, and Pateryn looks solid to me. Step up from Cube and Murray for certain.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pateryn can be recalled at will this year and next without having to go through waivers, unless he ends up playing 70 games in the NHL.

Thank-you very much. That provides a nice window of flexibility, not as critical as I had initially believed.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Blogger Sid Wood from the Dogs' game yesterday:

Pateryn picked up 2 assists and was a +2 and now leads the team in that category at +9. Pateryn is quietly having a good year 5 goals, 9 assists for 14 points in 25 games.

Here's a blurb (from blogger Mitch Brown) describing Pateryn's play for the week of Dec. 16-27:

There’s no doubt that Greg Pateryn has been absolutely fantastic for the Bulldogs this season, but this past week was a tough one for the defenceman. The lowest point of the week and probably the season came against the Wolves, where he was -3. Pateryn turned the puck over many times in his own zone. Pateryn was also ineffective offensively and was held shotless for just the third time this season. Against the Wild, Pateryn improved, but his giveaway problems continued. It was a similar story against the Heat, but Pateryn got better as the game wore on. Pateryn has four goals and seven assists in 23 games this season.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Well, next time there is need for an injury call-up, it should be his turn again. I don't see any need to rush these guys. They aren't eating the AHL alive or anything.

habitue*

Well, next time there is need for an injury call-up, it should be his turn again. I don't see any need to rush these guys. They aren't eating the AHL alive or anything.

Right. With Bouillon, Murray and possibly Diaz - and even Markov - gone by next July, there will be plenty of spots to fill on the blueline. And we should not forget that Drewiskie will be back someday.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Right. With Bouillon, Murray and possibly Diaz - and even Markov - gone by next July, there will be plenty of spots to fill on the blueline. And we should not forget that Drewiskie will be back someday.

Meaning we can potentially have 3 rookies on the back end

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Let him develop in Hamilton. he still is a bit shaky in his own zone , he creates turnovers. I remember seeing a game in preseason where he gave up the puck twice. HIs offence has improved and he is a lock for a bottom pairing d in this league.

habitue*

Meaning we can potentially have 3 rookies on the back end

I don't really think the management would like it. They would probably get at least one veteran via a trade or on the UFA market.

But they probably gonna re-sign Markov to stabilize their top-four. The bottom pairing could be occupied by Tinordi-Patteryn, Beaulieu, Drewiskie or Diaz. Murray could be re-signed for another season if they feel they need his size and experience.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
We haven't had a steal in trades for a long time. Most of our trades have been equal of epic fails. Pateryn for Grabovski, forgetting the headaches that he had with Kostitsys the minor, got us Pateryn and some draft choice. I hope he achieves success with the Habs, but I doubt he will have the impact that Grabovski had on the league. For some reason we always get head cases, that we then have to trade away for lesser players that are more psychologically balanced. S. Kotstisyn was given away for nothing, we lost so many players to contracts ending. I had faith in Gainey, but it was ill served. Hopefully if we make trades in the future it is because we want to, and not because we have to.

Pateryn to me seems like a possible 4-6 guy, at best. From what I read on the boards he needs to improve mobility, and I sure hope that he has a great evolution over the next 12 months, as we need him to take the step up to being at least a regular #5-6 if he is to have a future with the Habs. Perhaps he will need another 24 months, but I would like to see some win in this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00