Post-Game Talk: Habs @ Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Didn't think so tonight. He lost a few puck battles, fell down alot. Hoffman and condra stood out more than him on that line. Condra may not be flashy.. But he does the little things right.. Kills penalties, gets the puck out and is an effective checker.

Lazar was fine. He wasn't great, but I wouldn't call his game weak. I'm not sure what you saw from Condra today that out shun Lazar. I'm a Condra fan, but it wasn't his greatest game. He even got replaced with Bobby a couple shifts.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I really liked Borowiecki tonight and he's everything I thought he would be. He has is place on this team there is no question about that. Gryba got cought a little bit on or two times but it's still preseason. Chiasson is great, simple effective plays, he knows where to go and oh man that wouldve been a nice goal on the drop pass.

Other thing I really liked, Zibanejad on the point! Been saying this for a while now. A shot at 106mph, we should take advantage of that. Of course Hoffman played great and used is greatest asset, speed.

I thought Karlsson had a rather poor game but he looks more comfy on the ice.

Legwand reminded me of Alfy tonight.(not to compare) but was really good and calm and it just feels great when he has the puck.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Legwand-Chiasson
Smith-Pageau-Whoever

That looks soooooo deeeeeeeeep.

Stone looks brilliant alongside Turris and Mac. Hoffman and Zibanejad's speed with Ryan on the wing can click. That 3rd line would probably be best in NHL.

I'd still put Neil in there. I think we saw what he can bring on a limited basis tonight.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Reading PGT/GDT makes you realize how subjective opinions on hockey players are, because it varies so much from a poster to another. Hockey is like painting, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... Bias and microscoping prevails. So, always take opinions with a big grain of salt.

Dany Dube said it best the other time on the radio : "Subban will make 9.0 now... I hope people will realize that hockey is a game of errors. But the fact that someone is ready to pay that money is because the good should outweigh the bad for them"

If by outplaying us you mean using your faces as punching bags then yes I whole heartedly agree.

I'm pretty sure all Habs players were in locker room saying "we totally outplayed them, too bad they were lucky and outscored us 20-9 in 5 games. Sucks that they had refs on their side once again"

Hockey fans are delusional. Too much fanatism.

His hockey sense was supposed to be one of his strengths.

It's because people are beating the wrong horse... Cowen's problem is not hockey sense but decision making... You can't think too much out there. I know I have read many times that he is literally dumb (joke's on them then), but the problem is that he thinks too much. He needs to let his instincts dictate his play, but to feel that confidence you need to acclimate to the NHL. Must pretty damn hard to play in that league, even if you're really good.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Rewatched the Boro/Subban altercation because people thought it was a clear win for Boro...

After watching it again, it really looked like Boro knew who he was tied up with, and didn't want to fight him. Almost an understanding that if he fought Subban, he knew there would be consequences. But then Subban kept pushing it so he acquiesced.

Was really impressed with the way it appeared (at least from my perspective). Guy knows the code

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Reading PGT/GDT makes you realize how subjective opinions on hockey players are, because it varies so much from a poster to another. Hockey is like painting, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... Bias and microscoping prevails. So, always take opinions with a big grain of salt.

Dany Dube said it best the other time on the radio : "Subban will make 9.0 now... I hope people will realize that hockey is a game of error. But the fact that someone is ready to pay that money is because the good should outweigh the bad for them"

I'm pretty sure all Habs players were in locker room saying "we totally outplayed them, too bad they were lucky and outscored us 20-9 in 5 games. Sucks that they had refs on their side once again"

Hockey fans are delusional. Too much fanatism.

Love the bolded because it's so true.

Some people hate some certain players so much they will watch them under a microscope and catch ANYTHINg they do wrong that they can use against them.

MusicTeacher

Mar 10, 2008
Rewatched the Boro/Subban altercation because people thought it was a clear win for Boro...

After watching it again, it really looked like Boro knew who he was tied up with, and didn't want to fight him. Almost an understanding that if he fought Subban, he knew there would be consequences. But then Subban kept pushing it so he acquiesced.

Was really impressed with the way it appeared (at least from my perspective). Guy knows the code

I noticed this too. It seemed like Mark said let's not do this, let go of PK, the refs came in but PK wouldn't let go of Mark.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
2nd period was pretty bad. The Habs have great forecheck and they really use their speed effectively.

I think Legwand will be like last years signing of MacArthur. A great under the radar signing that will really pay off. He's played for years on a great defensive team and you can tell he's calm with the puck.

Obviously the AHL would be perfect for Lazar this season, too bad he can't be sent there. Tough decision, but I'd send him down. He looked like a kid today.

Cowen is already looking better this year compared to last year. Still some improvement to be made though.

Haven't liked much of Gryba's game this whole pre-season, he'd be my choice to send down/trade.

Edit: I liked that the PP didn't seem to rely a 100% on point shots. On RDS, they showed the setup on Chiasson's goal. Legwand was the only lefty and had 4 righties waiting for the one timer, great setup!

Milan the God*

Yeah, but what really are the consequences? Maybe if Subban was a Bruin...but the Habs don't have anyone to fight back. The Sens have been bullying the Habs since the 2013 playoffs.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I noticed this too. It seemed like Mark said let's not do this, let go of PK, the refs came in but PK wouldn't let go of Mark.

After PK took Boro down to the ice, Boro finally had enough and tossed the mittens. Kid gets it, thats for sure.

If PK was tied up with Neil, the gloves come off almost immediately lol.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Yeah, but what really are the consequences? Maybe if Subban was a Bruin...but the Habs don't have anyone to fight back. The Sens have been bullying the Habs since the 2013 playoffs.

Not so much physical/retaliation consequences, but reputation consequences. Not many people want to be known as the guy who fights superstars, and I imagine less so for a young guy trying to break into the league.

MusicTeacher

Mar 10, 2008
I thought Cowen was terrible in the first. His passes were behind players and he telegraphed his go-to move of passing the puck to EK.
Felt he settled down later, but he was the most disappointing player to me.

I don't know how Greening draws back into the lineup - Hoffman uses his speed better than Greening, Lazar is more involved in the play than Greening, and Stone has better hands than Greening. The only plus I'll give him is his board work, but the others will surpass him with experience. At least Condra does PK.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head

There's lots of variables. Boro is a young guy breaking into the league, he doesn't wanna risk getting a bad rep in the refs books so early on. Everyone knows there's a star bias in every league when it comes to reffing, so best to tred lightly in scrum situations unless it escalates like that scrum did.

Carrie Underwood

Jul 28, 2010
I am confident cowen can turn his game around. He has only actually played 2 seasons. It took hedman about 3 years to get his **** going. Patience is important with big dmen who has some offensive instincts

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Love the bolded because it's so true.

Some people hate some certain players so much they will watch them under a microscope and catch ANYTHINg they do wrong that they can use against them.

And what's astounding is the little emphasis on the fact that hockey is a team game. People dissect players on individual basis when in fact, they are really subject to the overall chemistry. Of course some players skate better than others or have more puck skills... Not everyone is Crosby or Karlsson out there

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What kind of a team doesn't respond to their two stars getting jumped at the same time? That was absolutely pathetic of Montreal, eye-opening. If that was Karlsson/Ryan/Turris you know full well what's going to happen.

The whole NHL recognizes how weak they are.

I was in the stands tonight.

Sloppy game with no flow due to endless special teams.

Some people are calling this a rivalry game, but rivalries are built on competitive match-ups in the playoffs.

Our series with the Canadiens was hardly competitive.

Maybe if we meet up again in the post-season and it goes longer than 5, we'll see something really develop.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Habs PGT is hilarious. It seems like most of them have a short memory when we whooped their ***** in the playoffs.

Team full of softies except for Prust, who Neil normally feeds anyways. Soft team with a soft coach.

Price, Maxpac, Galchenyuk and Subban are alright, but they're really aren't going to go far with MT

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
IMO Cowen's problem is his confidence. He just panics every time he is expected to do something and doesn't know what to do. You would think it has to go away with experience but not much has changed since his injury.
I feel like he is a victim of his quick start in NHL and should've played 1-2 more years in AHL.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The whole NHL recognizes how weak they are.

I was in the stands tonight.

Sloppy game with no flow due to endless special teams.

Some people are calling this a rivalry game, but rivalries are built on competitive match-ups in the playoffs.

Our series with the Canadiens was hardly competitive.

Maybe if we meet up again in the post-season and it goes longer than 5, we'll see something really develop.

I think it's quite clear that the teams do not like eachother

That's what it takes for me

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I think it's quite clear that the teams do not like eachother

That's what it takes for me

Same here. I hope in a few years we can rekindle the bad blood with the Sabres. That was honestly one of the more underrated rivalries for years. I always got tix for games against the slugs because **** almost always went down and they were almost always a 1 goal game too.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
I don't think it's fair for Habs fans to criticize Neil for what went down , but id be in the same boat if someone like Prust got into it with Ryan, regardless of who started it. This is the exact reason why Neil will be a regular for us, even though some think he shouldn't . He brings a factor that can't be underestimated. He ruffles feathers, and is our only big body out of all the forwards. When push comes to shove , Neil shows that he can do the things that help us win. This preseason wasn't the first time Neil had been heavily criticized , and won't be the last but Come playoff time Neil will have one of the biggest impact's out of all the Senators.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I loved what Neil did. Penalties in the pre season mean jack all, especially when you're sending a message to someone you're going to see a lot over the course of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad