Post-Game Talk: Habs Rookies Lose 4-3 to Sens Rookies (After Being Down 4-0 Heading Into the 3rd)

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
That's good. Without the influx of young talent like Houle and Tardif , we don't upset the Bruins and Hawks in the 1971 playoffs. Of the players that I watched yesterday, he is one of the very few ( him, Guhle and Fairbrother) who have a reasonable chance of making the NHL. If Mysak turns out to be as good as Houle, that would make him a heck of a second round draft pick.

Last edited:

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That's good. Without the influx of young talent like Houle and Tardif , we don't upset the Bruins and Hawks in the 1971 playoffs. Of the players that I watched yesterday, he is one of the very few ( him, Guhle and Fairbrother) who have a reasonable chance of making the NHL.

I remember both fled to the WHA and thought Tardif was the more skilled of the two. My memory of Houle was on a breakaway and tripped over the blue line when he was with the Habs, the things you remember as a kid

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I remember both fled to the WHA and thought Tardif was the more skilled of the two. My memory of Houle was on a breakaway and tripped over the blue line when he was with the Habs, the things you remember as a kid
Houle was the more versatile player, who could play in all situations. He was never a scorer but whose superior skating and hockey I.Q. allowed him to largely shut down Hull in that memorable 1971 series.

Tardif was largely a one dimensional/stationary player, who had superior scoring ability, a bit of size but was rather mediocre in all other facets of the game. But with the Mahovlich brothers, Shutt, Lambert, Lefley, Gainey and Murray Wilson (all of whom could or did play left wing) already on the team or who were about to emerge, the Canadiens rightly decided not to engage in an expensive bidding war for a player (Tardif) that was easily replaceable.

Not retaining Houle, was clearly a mistake. A mistake that was rectified when the Canadiens re-signed Houle for that glorious run of Stanley Cups in the late 1970's.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad