Confirmed with Link: Habs Re-sign Brandon Baddock (1-Year, 2-Way @ $750K {NHL} / $175K {AHL})

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The ''Smash'' in our ''Ax and Smash'' Laval duo :nod: He was a big part of last season's success , I'm glad he's back. FWIW, I still maintain there might be some untapped NHL energy line potential in him, he's got some legitimate hockey tools, he's not a complete jabroni.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Pezetta instigates, Baddock finishes.

I remember one game vs. the Sens this year. They both had fights at the same time. And in both cases, Baddock and Pezzetta won their fights.

Pezzetta is old school in the way he fights. He drops the gloves, grabs the guy's sweater and starts punching non-stop. Puts his head down and starts wailing.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Proof was in the pudding last season -- that type of player is needed to protect your best players given how opponents roster the same type of player.

Exactly. The farm team doesn't all have to be prospects. You need these sandpaper guys who will defend you to no end.

Not to mention, Baddock is better at hockey than initially expected.

I remember he was the first player signed in free agency last October when the UFA market opened. Everyone was understandably very underwhelmed and confused more than anything. Little did we know there was a Toffoli on the way a few days later and a few months later, a Corey Perry.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I remember one game vs. the Sens this year. They both had fights at the same time. And in both cases, Baddock and Pezzetta won their fights.

Pezzetta is old school in the way he fights. He drops the gloves, grabs the guy's sweater and starts punching non-stop. Puts his head down and starts wailing.

I believe the simultaneous fights had taken place vs. the Stockton Heat:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Exactly. The farm team doesn't all have to be prospects. You need these sandpaper guys who will defend you to no end.

Not to mention, Baddock is better at hockey than initially expected.

I remember he was the first player signed in free agency last October when the UFA market opened. Everyone was understandably very underwhelmed and confused more than anything. Little did we know there was a Toffoli on the way a few days later and a few months later, a Corey Perry.

If the second tweet below, establishes a reliable correlation, we can more readily appreciate Baddock's impact:

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
175K to play in the AHL, he's got a good agent.

The guaranteed money being handed down in the A is something this year.

My buddy, who went to the A all star game, played in the NHL had to go to europe this past year because the offers were well below normal. Baddock getting 175K is wild

I guess maybe they are trying to compensate for many players being paid way less this past year.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The guaranteed money being handed down in the A is something this year.

My buddy, who went to the A all star game, played in the NHL had to go to europe this past year because the offers were well below normal. Baddock getting 175K is wild

I guess maybe they are trying to compensate for many players being paid way less this past year.

Many AHL player were very upset of the way they were treated this year, so they probably squeezed more than usual. Habs are also one of the richest team, so they can afford to keep their important AHL vet. Hopefully, Blandisi and Belzile are back as well, plus whatever good replacement they can get for Veilleux (headed to DEL apparently) and Weal (unless we can him back on a two way deal).

Not sure we need a LD replacement for Olofsson. An RD top4-guy would be nice though, especially if Fleury stays with the Habs/doesn't make it through waivers. Some depth also, although I'm sure we're going to sign a bunch of guys come ECHL FA.

Ouellet - Brook
Schueneman - XXX
Fairbrother - Bisson
Amorosa

Reactions: canucklover123

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If there is a cash squeeze on AHL salaries by some or many NHL clubs, would this not put the Habs in an advantageous position in order to be able sign better free agents? I’m assuming the Habs do not have very strict internal budgetary constraints relative to their AHL spending.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
the_babadook_by_eemeling_d8aydfu-fullview.jpg

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

Good. Habs should be spending millions on AHL development. It doesnt count towards the cap, and this is one area where we should dominate. Same with scouting the Q. We should have scouts in stands of every Q game to identify potential. There is no reason on Gods earth the Habs should ever miss out on a Q Future: any player beyond 2nd rd at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad