Confirmed with Link: Habs re-sign Armia (4 years, 3.4M AAV)

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
His interview in finnish newspaper: briefly: few interested teams but wanted to stay in Montreal. He thinks it is best place to play hockey and best fans.
Some players love being recognised and feted when they're out and about and others don't.

I'm sure MTL is the best place to be if you, as a player, want to be in the centre of the hockey universe. Likewise, not everyone wants it or can handle it even if it's what they want.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
KK, Drouin, Byron, A-prospect + 2nd rounder (to compensate for Byron's value) for Eichel

Don't think Anaheim is ready to give Zegras or Drysdale away, I'm assuming the Kings (Turcotte+) and Rangers (Kakko+) are in.

This is why we are signing Armia - lots of names off the board. Armia is a stable 3rd liner.

So, struggling, but still young centre. Possible cap.dump, injured cap dump, a good prospect and a 2nd for Eichel.

OK.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
So, struggling, but still young centre. Possible cap.dump, injured cap dump, a good prospect and a 2nd for Eichel.

OK.

Sabres are being offered similar packages (they won't get 4 1st rounder equivalent).

Eichel is damaged goods as well, they won't get who they want in return. If he was healthy, he would already have been traded, he's not. They'll have to take some risks or Eichel will sit. He's not playing another game for the Sabres.

At the time I didn't know Byron was injured. But Byron and Drouin is the kind of depth the Sabres have been missing for the Sabres to at least rebound.

Kakko or KK right now, hard to say. Kakko has a higher ceiling but he hasn't put it together yet either.
Turcotte, much less proven.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
When he play with his tools, Armia is a pretty sick player. I really like that contract and big fan of the player.

chapeau

Jan 16, 2019
He's the winger version of Lars Eller. Shows flashes of great talent, but inconsistent. Hopefully he can put it somewhat together for his 28/29/30 years old seasons like Eller did.

Reactions: Fandangle

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Some players love being recognised and feted when they're out and about and others don't.

I'm sure MTL is the best place to be if you, as a player, want to be in the centre of the hockey universe. Likewise, not everyone wants it or can handle it even if it's what they want.

Maybe it's these silent types that the habs should focus on in recruitment lol.

I mean, andrei markov seemed like a bad fit personality wise for this market, but he ended up playing his whole NHL career here.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This guy might be even more infuriating than Drouin. He's got some good hands, great size, and he's shown he knows how to make good offensive plays. He's just a monster when it comes to puck possession. He's also got no work ethic whatsoever and seems to only try it practice.

What was painfully obvious is that we had a free forward slot to protect someone ahead of the expansion draft. That player should have been Jared McCann who's been better than Dvorak. Instead of having a good 3rd line center, we have a streaky 4th liner who has the tools to be a great top 6 player but has low hockey IQ meaning he can't be a top 6 player, but he also doesn't have the work ethic to compensate for it making him a streaky bottom 6 player.

I loved his performance in the playoffs and it just shows that he can be good, but man is he lazy. MB shit to bed on this one. I can excuse the Byron contract more (even though he should have been gone too) because the guy wears his heart on his sleeve, has excellent speed, and showed better production before he got killed with injuries.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This guy might be even more infuriating than Drouin. He's got some good hands, great size, and he's shown he knows how to make good offensive plays. He's just a monster when it comes to puck possession. He's also got no work ethic whatsoever and seems to only try it practice.

What was painfully obvious is that we had a free forward slot to protect someone ahead of the expansion draft. That player should have been Jared McCann who's been better than Dvorak. Instead of having a good 3rd line center, we have a streaky 4th liner who has the tools to be a great top 6 player but has low hockey IQ meaning he can't be a top 6 player, but he also doesn't have the work ethic to compensate for it making him a streaky bottom 6 player.

I loved his performance in the playoffs and it just shows that he can be good, but man is he lazy. MB shit to bed on this one. I can excuse the Byron contract more (even though he should have been gone too) because the guy wears his heart on his sleeve, has excellent speed, and showed better production before he got killed with injuries.

I think he lacks hockey sense, like Drouin. Sometimes that can make it seem like he's not trying.

Hopefully the new GM will be able to move him out. But after the numbers he's going to put up this year, unlikely.

Still boggles my mind that we overpaid by 2M for a 4th liner, yet refused to overpay to keep an elite shutdown C. Shutting the opposition's top forwards down and just being a good top 9 center are extremely valuable. 4th liners should make 1M, 1.7M tops.

Well, it's been clear MB doesn't know what he's doing, so par for the course.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think he lacks hockey sense, like Drouin. Sometimes that can make it seem like he's not trying.

Hopefully the new GM will be able to move him out. But after the numbers he's going to put up this year, unlikely.

Still boggles my mind that we overpaid by 2M for a 4th liner, yet refused to overpay to keep an elite shutdown C. Shutting the opposition's top forwards down and just being a good top 9 center are extremely valuable. 4th liners should make 1M, 1.7M tops.

Well, it's been clear MB doesn't know what he's doing, so par for the course.
He's never engaged. The only time I saw him engaged this season was in practice going hard against Romanov.

Danault seemed like he wanted out and it was the right decision for him, still not excusable to not go for McCann. ESPECIALLY when he knows how hard it is to get centers and how Danault was leaving. At least we got a 3.4 million 4th liner for 3 more years.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's never engaged. The only time I saw him engaged this season was in practice going hard against Romanov.

Danault seemed like he wanted out and it was the right decision for him, still not excusable to not go for McCann. ESPECIALLY when he knows how hard it is to get centers and how Danault was leaving. At least we got a 3.4 million 4th liner for 3 more years.

I didn't like Danault's mindset about his role. It's clear he felt snubbed by the Habs. But that perception if being snubbed started with his last contract. He was an rfa and had no leverage in negotiations. Like he did with Subban, MB used his leverage to sign him to a deal that was for much less than his contributions on the ice.

So Danault said then and there he's not taking less money on his next deal. True to his word, he didn't take MB's final offer which was below market value. I tend to think if MB had paid him his worth, he would have signed that 5M deal. We can't know either way. But that's my hunch.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Usually he’s only useless 80% of the time but this year he’s 100% and he’s the new coaches pet getting PP time and out on the ice in the dying minutes when we are down.

At the 14 game mark I’d have expected a couple of Marian Hossa games but he’s been Marcel Hossa through and through

Hated the contract when it was signed, he’s worth $1.5MM at best

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Bergevin is an idiot.

The cap hit isn't that bad for his production (when he signed his contract) but he gave Suzuki a 7M raise. He'll need every penny so why did he sign Armia?

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
Oh man!! I thought this was another extension for Armia on top of the one that he already had. Scary! I mean, it's OK to suck for a year or two but not for the next 5 years!

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad