Habs Powerplay

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
So as great as Weise Condon Flesischmann Emelin and co have been, to me the big development so far after 17 games is the PP being back to a feared weapon.

Last year teams did not hesitate to take dumb penalties against us and often it actually gave THEM the momentum in the end.

This year so far, the PP is what, top 2 or 3? I would have been happy with top 10, but it's a huge plus to be able to count on it to either come back in tight games or put teams away in the 3rd.

Daigneault, with the help of other coaches, has done a great job getting player movement which has increased passing and shooting lanes compared to last year's stagnant PP where it was very stiff and it was all about feeding PK. This new style allows for different players to contribute on the PP. At playoff time it can also be a big asset.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
PP doesn't create enough shots for the amount of time they're on it. It still needs work IMO, they have a high shooting% right now but eventually that'll drop. It seems depended on converting on the one or two scoring chances it gets per game.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
PP is getting it done without subban being relied on, and without Semin, who I thought would be a key peice for a successful PP

They are moving the puck well, and they are showing more patience. I get annoyed sometimes when I hear the crowd yell shoot. Take your time, move the puck, and wear down the penalty killers a bit.

I also think the habs display more desperation in getting loose pucks back. That's a big help too, as it means more time in the offensive zone that did not exist last year.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
PP doesn't create enough shots for the amount of time they're on it. It still needs work IMO, they have a high shooting% right now but eventually that'll drop. It seems depended on converting on the one or two scoring chances it gets per game.

The problem with taking a lot of shots is that if you don't get to the rebound it's 20-30 sec or more wasted trying to re-establish in the zone.

They get more than 1-2 chances per game. My guess is they get the same amount of shots on goal as last year but they get higher quality shots this year and fewer point shots.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
we have to give the hiring of Ramsay some credit here, as mentioned for two years now, the coaching staff just couldn't seem to make the right changes, and now, our PP is once again a real threat...kudos to MB and Dudley brining Ramsay on. :handclap:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Exactly this. Still too many guys standing on the perimeter. Needs more movement and the reliance on Subban and Markov make them predictable. Patch should just be taken off entirely.

President Markov

Nov 10, 2015
Gatineau, Qc
I believe that the new plays we use to enter the offensive zone plays a major role on our upgraded PP. It helps us establish a faster and better PP because we enter the O zone with good puck possession.
(Especially that new drop down technique they've been using which always makes the opposite defensive squads push back -- I bet that's all Ramsay)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I believe that the new plays we use to enter the offensive zone plays a major role on our upgraded PP. It helps us establish a faster and better PP because we enter the O zone with good puck possession.
(Especially that new drop down technique they've been using which always makes the opposite defensive squads push back -- I bet that's all Ramsay)

This was and is the very first fix. We spend more time in the zone with possesion.
We still need more scoring down low but at least we seem to be aware of it now.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Our PP last year consisted of dumping the puck deep, trying to retrieve it and feeding it to Markov to set up a one-timer. All within a pretty static layout. It became too predictable and badly exposed down the stretch and especially in the POs.

MB saw the problem and hired Ramsay. Now we run a much more dynamic and less predictable PP. No more dumping and boom! We're back at 25%, as it should be.

And some guys were defending the coaching staff by saying it was becausewe didn't have enough firepower. :laugh:

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
PP is getting it done without subban being relied on, and without Semin, who I thought would be a key peice for a successful PP

They are moving the puck well, and they are showing more patience. I get annoyed sometimes when I hear the crowd yell shoot. Take your time, move the puck, and wear down the penalty killers a bit.

I also think the habs display more desperation in getting loose pucks back. That's a big help too, as it means more time in the offensive zone that did not exist last year.

I agree with you, but I sometimes agree with those yelling to shoot. Sometimes, The Habs look for the perfect play, with the one receiving the puck, cross-crease, taking his sweet time to stop the puck, place it, wind up for the shot, etc. By the time we shoot, the G is back in place, square with the shooter.

That's when we should shoot as one-timers, to take advantage of the G being out of position.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Our PP last year consisted of dumping the puck deep, trying to retrieve it and feeding it to Markov to set up a one-timer. All within a pretty static layout. It became too predictable and badly exposed down the stretch and especially in the POs.

MB saw the problem and hired Ramsay. Now we run a much more dynamic and less predictable PP. No more dumping and boom! We're back at 25%, as it should be.

And some guys were defending the coaching staff by saying it was becausewe didn't have enough firepower. :laugh:

You laugh, but they were right. It only works since they put Galchenyuk and Desharnais on the same PP wave ;) Real fire power!

I kid, obviously, but the fact that Therrien mixes and matches the forwards on his PP waves, instead of just rolling out his regular lines, helps keep the opponents on their heels and makes the PP less predictable.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Patches on our PP:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...t-meconnaissable-en-superiorite-numerique.php

Translation:

Patches says last year they were too static and predictable, always trying to set up Subban for the one-timer. He and Subban both say that this year, all the players are asked to move a little more to create space and opportunities.

Basically what some of us have been saying from day 1 of the season.

Compared to last year this team plays differently when in possession of the puck. Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad