Speculation: Habs on Tradecentre Part 5 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
You refuse to put any blame on the head pro scout after we made one of our worst trades involving pro players in recent memory? Welp, ok.

We really don't know who was the mastermind of that trade, all the more reason that the number one culprit was Gainey. Gauthier had plenty of power back then and could certainly be considered part of the problem since he's responsible somewhere between coming up with the idea of that trade and not objecting to it enough, but ultimate it was Gainey's trade.

Gauthier should have probably never been GM as he was a bad leader and was too close to Gainey to really bring us new ideas, but I find it ridiculous that he's portrayed on this board as a cartoon supervilian responsible for everything from Fischer over Giroux to the lack of size on the team to Gomez. All we know is when Gauthier had the last say, he made some bad moves himself but nothing nearly as destructive as the Gomez trade that we would still be suffering from if the new CBA didn't bail us out.

As a player and a human being I have nothing but respect and support for Gainey, even as an executive he was successful until after 2006, at which point he got increasingly erratic and by his last year seemed to have lost all judgement. It's horrible what he has dealt with and it's possible that Gauthier was the one pulling the strings after that, it's also possible Gauthier was just one voice of many and responsibility lies with the entire front office, especially the boss.

I'm not trying to make Gauthier into a good GM, because he wasn't, but based on what we know and the situation he inherited, he seemed more mediocre than terrible, a continuation of the status quo. But it's ridiculous how he's scapegoated for everything.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I am not saying I think the Habs should absolutely try to get him but , Jaromir Jagr looks good. Great passing, hockey sense, vision, shot and strong play along the boards.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We really don't know who was the mastermind of that trade, all the more reason that the number one culprit was Gainey. Gauthier had plenty of power back then and could certainly be considered part of the problem since he's responsible somewhere between coming up with the idea of that trade and not objecting to it enough, but ultimate it was Gainey's trade.

Gauthier should have probably never been GM as he was a bad leader and was too close to Gainey to really bring us new ideas, but I find it ridiculous that he's portrayed on this board as a cartoon supervilian responsible for everything from Fischer over Giroux to the lack of size on the team to Gomez. All we know is when Gauthier had the last say, he made some bad moves himself but nothing nearly as destructive as the Gomez trade that we would still be suffering from if the new CBA didn't bail us out.

As a player and a human being I have nothing but respect and support for Gainey, even as an executive he was successful until after 2006, at which point he got increasingly erratic and by his last year seemed to have lost all judgement. It's horrible what he has dealt with and it's possible that Gauthier was the one pulling the strings after that, it's also possible Gauthier was just one voice of many and responsibility lies with the entire front office, especially the boss.

I'm not trying to make Gauthier into a good GM, because he wasn't, but based on what we know and the situation he inherited, he seemed more mediocre than terrible, a continuation of the status quo. But it's ridiculous how he's scapegoated for everything.

I can't say how much credit or blame Gauthier should get for Gainey's moves while GM, whether good ones like the Gorges trade, or bad ones like the Gomez trade.

But I do know this: Gauthier himself did not make only bad moves.

First of all, he got us a first-round draft pick who was already in the pros, Lars Eller, for a half-time goaltender, in a market where goalies do not fetch much if not other goalies.

He is also the one who moved up to draft Tinordi, and also picked Ellis, Beaulieu, Dietz, Gallagher. He traded for Bournival. He is the one who got some extra picks while moving Gill and A. Kostitsyn and Cammalleri.

After years and years of failure, it was Gauthier who succeeded in convincing Alexei Emelin to come over, and who signed free agents Diaz and Budaj.

So while I blame Gauthier for several BAD moves, he also had a part in forging the nucleus of this club.

Last edited:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
my wish list

1. clowe type forward, tough and at least 6 feet
2. tough d man, at least 6 feet
3. toughness all around, would make this club balanced, ready for the grind of playoffs

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I wouldn't do too much this shortened season. Go shopping in the off-season, see what the kids and vets can do this season.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Go get Clowe or Boyle and Regehr and I will be one happy camper. Plus our roster will be ready to roll in the playoffs.

Realistically I think we would have to give Leblanc plus a second for Clowe
&
A third + B Prospect for Regehr.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'm still hoping for tough as nails forwards that aren't necessarily goons. Crombeen would fit the bill. No thanks to Clowe, Boyle, J-Bow and the likes. The price would just be too crippling. This org needs to build for the long run not for a short moment in the spot light. We don't have stars like Crosby & Malkin so build slowly and surely.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Do we still have rights on Engqvist? And if so, does his season in the KHL make him a valuable trade asset? Or does his failure to put up solid numbers in the AHL and NHL make him almost an irrelevant asset?

Mue

Oct 20, 2006
Do we still have rights on Engqvist? And if so, does his season in the KHL make him a valuable trade asset? Or does his failure to put up solid numbers in the AHL and NHL make him almost an irrelevant asset?

Habs still own his rights - I can't see how he would have any trade value though.

cjbhab*

pac desh gal
ryder plek gio
galch eller bourque
moen halpern prust
white armstrong

markov emelin
subban gorges
diaz bouillon

price
budaj

there isn't even a spot open. The only thing I do is upgrade Bouillon's spot and push him to 7th D.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
pac desh gal
ryder plek gio
galch eller bourque
moen halpern prust
white armstrong

markov emelin
subban gorges
diaz bouillon

price
budaj

there isn't even a spot open. The only thing I do is upgrade Bouillon's spot and push him to 7th D.

We have no idea if bourque or Diaz will be back anytime soon

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I can't say how much credit or blame Gauthier should get for Gainey's moves while GM, whether good ones like the Gorges trade, or bad ones like the Gomez trade.

But I do know this: Gauthier himself did not make only bad moves.

First of all, he got us a first-round draft pick who was already in the pros, Lars Eller, for a half-time goaltender, in a market where goalies do not fetch much if not other goalies.

He is also the one who moved up to draft Tinordi, and also picked Ellis, Beaulieu, Dietz, Gallagher and Hudon. He traded for Bournival. He is the one who got some extra picks while moving Gill and A. Kostitsyn and Cammalleri.

After years and years of failure, it was Gauthier who succeeded in convincing Alexei Emelin to come over, and who signed free agents Diaz and Budaj.

So while I blame Gauthier for several BAD moves, he also had a part in forging the nucleus of this club.

Good summary.

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
Eller, Beaulieu and 1st for Vanek

Vanek-Plekanec-Ryder
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Bourque-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Prust-Halpern-Moen

Just dreaming!

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Rangers, Habs and Bruins are in for Clowe, I don't see him waiving his NTC for NY, rumor has it that he was a habs fan in his youth, it seems we have good odds of seeing clowe in a habs jersey.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Jagr - depending on assets required
hartnell if no jagr
and a crease clearing Dman with a mean streak a mile wide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad