Habs now 2nd on Forbes Value List

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

-Only Canadian team to not lose value.
-Habs TV Audience was on average 20% greater than the Leafs when you factor in both languages.
-Highest operating income in the NHL.

Not sure if this needed to be posted elsewhere.. so sorry in advance

I posted this in the out of town thread earlier today. The Rangers are 1st and the Leafs are now down to number 3 but all 3 teams are very close in value.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
It's mostly symbolic, but it's nice to see that a struggling team in TO can indeed drop in the standings. I mean, at some point, a decade of pure suckage and choking has to have some financial consequences.

Also, my guess is that these values are still grossly underestimated. Especially for the top teams. Not sure Molson would sell the Habs for 1.2B$. This is a cash cow and will be so for the next 100+ years barring any catastrophe. As long as Montreal is there, you'll have people paying the price to see the Habs play.

Pretty safe investment if you have a billion or two lying around. :laugh:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
What?

I was looking at this and thought "What?".

No doubt the Rangers move to number one due to the US/Cdn dollar, but I was curious to see why such a jump in one Canadian team and drop in the other. I know MLSE is loaded and has too much money. They had enough free to offer to buy the Buffalo Bills at over $1 billion.

Several odd things: look at the debt ratio; the Toronto fan base shows 5.6M when it is closer to 11.5M (one third of Canada's population lives within 200 miles of the ACC. That's also the number MLB and NBA use for the "golden horseshoe" area.); Canucks are as big as the Leafs? Seriously now, that's messed up; the other thing is it points to a survey done last year when the when the Leafs were out and when the poll was done. (That was a poll done by CityTV which is owned by Rogers who owns the Leafs. Why would Rogers do that?) I'm curious what the poll would show now that the Leafs are showing some life. They have that huge fan base. The TV marketing guys still put them at the top.

All in all though, I don't think the Leafs don't mind leaving the spotlight for a while, but as an added point, something smells almost contrived. Hmmmm .... so looking further, these numbers were put up by Mike Ozanian, not a real auditor, but rather a media sports writer working for Forbes who was previously a magazine editor and who wants a TV show.

What these new numbers do though is now justify Bettman putting a second team in the Quebec market, i.e. new Nordiques, instead of pursuing a second team for the Huronia area market. Hmmm ....

Last edited:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
like you said: its nice to see that sucking for 10+ years has consequences for the owners. if anything, it will be a nice motivator

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
It's mostly symbolic, but it's nice to see that a struggling team in TO can indeed drop in the standings. I mean, at some point, a decade of pure suckage and choking has to have some financial consequences.

Also, my guess is that these values are still grossly underestimated. Especially for the top teams. Not sure Molson would sell the Habs for 1.2B$. This is a cash cow and will be so for the next 100+ years barring any catastrophe. As long as Montreal is there, you'll have people paying the price to see the Habs play.

Pretty safe investment if you have a billion or two lying around. :laugh:

what is not symbolic is 91.3 operation revenu... wow... (hab cost over 600 millions... it's already payed for!) next time they are on sale, count me in! (need to find a new bank before...))

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

-Only Canadian team to not lose value.
-Habs TV Audience was on average 20% greater than the Leafs when you factor in both languages.
-Highest operating income in the NHL.

Not sure if this needed to be posted elsewhere.. so sorry in advance

Whose 1st New York Yankees, as a team they are the only one that is in the same stratosphere IMHO!!!...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
So the Florida Panthers are worth 186M and the NHL wants 500M for expansion. In-fact only 11 teams are worth more than 500M.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
what is not symbolic is 91.3 operation revenu... wow... (hab cost over 600 millions... it's already payed for!) next time they are on sale, count me in! (need to find a new bank before...))

Agreed. 100M operation revenue is huge.

And it's not just that, but the fact that it's as rock solid as you'll get. Just like the Guiness brewery in Dublin. When you have a city with a few millions people culturaly addicted to your product, your business is safe for a f-ing while.

And yeah, Trevor Timmins should get a share of all that money. :laugh:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
So the Florida Panthers are worth 186M and the NHL wants 500M for expansion. In-fact only 11 teams are worth more than 500M.

11 teams out of 30. Still not that far from 50%. Especially if you consider that expansion should be in markets with good potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad