Habs mis-handling the media this series

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Maybe this has already been discussed at length, but I really feel the Canadiens as an organization have really mishandled the media during the series, playing right into the hands of the Ottawa Sens. A couple of the top of my head obviously is Brandon Prust's remarks concerning the "fat walrus"
Another one that really bugged me was before game 4 when Therien was asked about who would be starting and he laughed very sarcasticly and said "are you serious" "Price" I mean this doesn't send a good message to your back up goalie, it be-littles him IMO. there were countless others, but I fear the team as a whole listened a bit much to what the Sens were saying and should have stuck to their formula which was successful most of the season.

Roy Gerbil

Hang up the phone
Oct 17, 2007
Roy, New Mexico
Maybe this has already been discussed at length, but I really feel the Canadiens as an organization have really mishandled the media during the series, playing right into the hands of the Ottawa Sens. A couple of the top of my head obviously is Brandon Prust's remarks concerning the "fat walrus"
Another one that really bugged me was before game 4 when Therien was asked about who would be starting and he laughed very sarcasticly and said "are you serious" "Price" I mean this doesn't send a good message to your back up goalie, it be-littles him IMO. there were countless others, but I fear the team as a whole listened a bit much to what the Sens were saying and should have stuck to their formula which was successful most of the season.

I definitely agree that they seemed to often be playing into exactly what the Senators wanted them to be doing. Therrien had multiple chances to simply use something that the Sens did as fuel in the locker room, and not bite back at them through the media.

I disagree about that game 4 comment about Price though. That was obviously meant as a vote of confidence for Price, that game 3 wasn't all on him, and that it was laughable that they'd move away from him for game 4.

Even Subban's comments before tonight, another good example of giving the Sens more to work with.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Offending Budaj? Come on man.

I'm critical of MT but I think every coach in the NHL would say that. Budaj accepts his role, which is why he re-signed at that low price.

CanadiensVault

Jan 22, 2013
Sure, we could've handled the media piece better, but that's not the reason we're losing the series. Look no further than the 3rd period for your answer. No killer instinct.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
I definitely agree that they seemed to often be playing into exactly what the Senators wanted them to be doing. Therrien had multiple chances to simply use something that the Sens did as fuel in the locker room, and not bite back at them through the media.

I disagree about that game 4 comment about Price though. That was obviously meant as a vote of confidence for Price, that game 3 wasn't all on him, and that it was laughable that they'd move away from him for game 4.

Even Subban's comments before tonight, another good example of giving the Sens more to work with.

Sorry if I'm in the dark, but what did he say?

And I agree with the premise of the OP, Therrien is a hothead and it's not the first time he loses his cool in the playoffs.

But what can you do? Martin was lifeless, and everyone complained then too.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Sorry if I'm in the dark, but what did he say?

Said that the Habs are going to come to play tonight and that they feel they're the better team.

I don't see anything wrong with that but then again I'm a pretty pompous guy who's been likened to Lapierre when I play sports.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Said that the Habs are going to come to play tonight and that they feel they're the better team.

I don't see anything wrong with that but then again I'm a pretty pompous guy who's been likened to Lapierre when I play sports.

Eh, if that's all then much ado about nothing there.

Subban can say that honestly, he's been our MVP.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
there is nothing wrong with players saying what they want to say to the media

you guys really want to go back to that Gainey/Gauthier lockdown? We had the most boring organisation of all time, and a terrible one too.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Maybe... But still, beside the #3, they dominate all the games in this series up until now. So it seems they weren't deconcentrate, and it didn't seem to have over-motivate the Sens much.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
MT shouldnt tell the media that Gionta cried on his shoulders... That should stay in the lockerroom

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Bob Cole? Is that you?!?

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
More never had a handle on the media from day one or about 2 months ago.

The media, CBC, have been humping Karlsson's and the rest of the Sens legs all season.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Not sure where you see any "mis handling" there? I like the attacking of MacLean, it's a good plan to create an "us against them" atmosphere.

I'm pretty sure Budaj knows he only starts if Price is hurt, he knew that when he signed his last contract as well as this one.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Offending Budaj? Come on man.

I'm critical of MT but I think every coach in the NHL would say that. Budaj accepts his role, which is why he re-signed at that low price.

Agreed. The coach's job was to pump his starting goalie, not pump up his backup at his starting goalie's expense. This is pro sports and Price makes 5 times what Budaj does for a reason.

Honestly in terms of the English media, there's not much Therrien could've done. The anti-Montreal bias on CBC is pretty remarkable to watch. The intermission panel is a fricking joke.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Last I heard series are won and lost on the ice.

Yea but the mental aspect is very important. Like freshly re-painting the visitor's dressing room before the game... mind games are part of playoffs hockey and every great coach used these tactics in the past.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Last I heard series are won and lost on the ice.

I agree, and thats why trash talking other teams and players post game can be a giant distraction, that seemed to hurt us more than it hurt them. Even the Eller hit I believe was overplayed and our guys should have focused and went out and won that series instead of letting their emotions get the best of them. Tough to play a great game on the ice when you are constantly thinking about revenge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad