Post-Game Talk: Habs make it to the SC Finals!!!! Beat Vegas in OT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandR

May 15, 2011
There are a lot of generous takes from a very broad fanbase, which is nice to see.

From my end, I'm surprised to a degree but I felt that we had a competitive team. I also believed in many of the signings and trades done last fall (I gave MB a good grade for his offseason). I viewed it as an attempt to emulate the Blues or Isles, to a degree (hence the Allen and Edmundson signings, which didn't bother me), and compete based on a stingy defense and an opportunistic offense, which was always more within reach given our starting point last year, than trying to emulate the Lightning or Avalanche.
He also went against the grain with the reliance on big shut-down D who can play a lot of minutes while the league trend has been to get more puck-moving D. There is a good reason for that... this team is built around his superstar goalie and the big 4 D on this team do a great job at allowing Price to shine.

I also think that Bergevin recognized that without Tampa or Boston in their division and with both Suzuki and Kotkaniemi possibly becoming top-6 centres based on last year’s gift of playoff experience, this was the year to spend all that unused cap space.

He also added a good backup goalie as Allen was needed to make sure they didn’t miss the playoffs again by a few points, he added Stanley Cup winners to help the young kids, and he even took care of the smallest pieces by adding bottom pairing D to help with the penalty kill (Merrill) and power play (Gustaffson). Heck he even got Bob Gainey to talk to the team one day during the playoffs to pass on his wisdom from multiple championships.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
But then I can’t party :laugh:

That's okay, we'll get this guy to fill in for you :laugh:

OIP.eaqWn3fL2zcOZOuHvO9AvAHaEu

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I still can't get over how smart Caufield was on his goal. He deflected the pass from Edmunson to create a battle with McNabb knowing that it was the only way to get past him. If he had received that pass and stopped it, McNabb could have smoked him. And then the speed to blow by him and roof daddy short side against a goalie who had trash talked that he only did that and the book was out on him. Insane. Caufield is getting better every game, that's just insane in the playoffs like that. But it's his all around game that is surprising the heck out of me, and how he doesn't let his size be a detriment to his usefulness on the ice. It's like he's a veteran out there. I am pretty sure he has the highest hockey IQ of anyone on the team, close second Slick Nick. Then, if that was not enough, the kid has a contagious smile and top notch attitude, humble, says smart things... I could not be more impressed with him.

Makes me want to buy a Caufield jersey.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
That's the kind of stuff I don't mind someone doing. It's harmless, but annoying for the opponent. So this Perry we've seen in Habs jersey is something that I really like.

Agreed, even if the roles were reversed, I still would have laughed. He just did it so nonchalantly though. You could almost hear Marchessault say in shock "WTF?"

Reactions: Garbox
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad