Rumor: Habs made an offer for Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You forgot a part about them making a “substantial” offer for PLD that was enough to make him attend the draft, and ended up with him and his agent looking pretty dumb… so to say they are not involved at all is naive at best and deceitful at worst.
How serious they are really depends on the offer entails that we will never know…. But if it was trash a cap dump and a 2nd rounder how dumb is PLD’s agent to let him attend? Lol
There was no trade and no one knows if there was an offer (i.e. who initiated the offer) or how substantial it was. Claiming to know is disingenuous.

As of now, Habs are not involved. They made a trade for Kirby Dach to address the future top-6 C position. They have no need to talk to Winnipeg about PLD because they have no capspace to accommodate. Habs have no reason to trade for PLD.

There is no rationale explanation for trading for PLD now unless they can get him for scraps and capdumps, which won't happen.

So as of today, Habs are not involved. There really is no reason for Hughes to answer the phone if Chevy calls. And there is zero reason to call Chevy other than to give him tips on developing PLD for his inevitable signing in 2024. ;)

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
As of now, Habs are not involved. They made a trade for Kirby Dach to address the future top-6 C position. They have no need to talk to Winnipeg about PLD because they have no capspace to accommodate. Habs have no reason to trade for PLD.

There is no rationale explanation for trading for PLD now unless they can get him for scraps and capdumps, which won't happen.

So as of today, Habs are not involved. There really is no reason for Hughes to answer the phone if Chevy calls. And there is zero reason to call Chevy other than to give him tips on developing PLD for his inevitable signing in 2024. ;)
Sure they didn’t…… If after all that has happened in the last week if your GM has not even made a low ball offer to Chevy he should be fired right away for having no idea how to run a team :D

Come on now let’s not be that simple lol

But I guess keep believing that the Habs have no interest in getting PLD at a discount before 2024

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Dubois doesn't move you out of lottery territory, especially in the Atlantic division. If the Canadiens can acquire Dubois without losing their 2023 1st, they should do it. They'll still be in the basement next year and also have their a long-term top 6 center locked up.

He absolutely moves us out of the top three; possibly the top five. Dubois would have been our second highest point scorer last season. Not to mention, we had an insane amount of injuries, which contributed to us being so bad. So even without him, we probably won't be tanking to the degree Chicago and Arizona are. Regardless, why pay assets on top of worsening our draft position for a player we can simply sign a few years later and be better for it?

If Winnipeg wants our junk contracts like Hoffman. Sure, we can entertain a trade. No chance, Dach, Barron, Guhle or even our 2nd is apart of it.

That "long-term top six center" has quit on two teams now and been a complete baby about it. I'm not exactly keen on giving up any decent assets then throwing a 7M+ contract at a kid whose career season is 61 points.

Well free except for the 9+ million UFA contract. He may want to play for the Habs, but he's still going to get paid and 26 year old UFA centers expect to get paid a lot...

Dubois can demand whatever he likes. We aren't obligated to give it to him. Right now, he isn't worth anywhere near 9M. If he wants to play for the Habs, he'll be taking less or we'll just not sign him. Keep in mind, he wants to play for us. We weren't actively trying to acquire him.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pongs21

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Imagine using a four game sample size as evidence.

Montreal fans need to realize PLD to Montreal in free agency is not a lock. All PLD said was he would like to play in Montreal at some time in his career. In two years Montreal still may be absolutely terrible and maybe he signs with a contender for 7-8 years and finishes his career after that in Montreal.
If he was a superstar, then there would be some internal pressure to get him on the team and beat the market to him. That’s not what he is. He’s a distraught second line player with a bunch of question marks surrounding his name for various reasons. We’re a rebuilding team in Montreal. There’s absolutely no rush to make a deal like this. All the pressure right now is on Winnipeg and Dubois. It’s really none of our business. If there’s a reasonable deal to be made, it will be. But Winnipeg may find better options for 2 or however many years he ends up signing for. Just because he’s French and mentioned our name doesn’t mean we’re beating down the door to acquire him.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Just because he’s French and mentioned our name doesn’t mean we’re beating down the door to acquire him.

I mean if he was tipped off he could be traded to Montreal and Kent Hughes seemed to make it clear to the media he's trying to get the right price, they might not be beating the door down but they are certainly knocking.

Jets fans need to stop acting like this isn't a problem they need to get fixed soon.

Habs fans need to stop acting like their organization doesn't want Dubois.

I feel like this will get done sooner than the Kevin Durant trade.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Dvorak, Hoffman, Fla 1st...

As another poster suggested, that's the absolute best return I'd want the Habs to consider (minus the odd depth prospect or late pick... If Chevy wanted some foliage to spruce up the perceived return).

If there's a better offer out there, good for the peg... I feel for them as it's one of the toughest markets to get players to want to play in... But heck no should the Habs offer up anything more than that. PLD is far too big of a risk, character-wise, to both extend & pay a premium for.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Just seeing what mess PLD creates want to play for Montreal, I would laugh if Bedard says during this season, he only wanna sign with Vancouver and will refuse offers from any other teams, oh man the panics =D

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I mean if he was tipped off he could be traded to Montreal and Kent Hughes seemed to make it clear to the media he's trying to get the right price, they might not be beating the door down but they are certainly knocking.

Jets fans need to stop acting like this isn't a problem they need to get fixed soon.

Habs fans need to stop acting like their organization doesn't want Dubois.

I feel like this will get done sooner than the Kevin Durant trade.

If the offers are not substantially better that what the Jets can get at the trade deadline in 2024 then they don't need to get it fixed soon. IMO a player like PLD the expected return as a rental is a top level prospect, a first in the bottom third of the draft and a roster player. If the Habs are not willing to exceed this then there is no incentive for the Jets to make a deal now because they can benefit from having him on the roster and still a good return later,

Something else to consider is that the line of Conner - PLD - Perfetti was the strongest the Jets had all season long. If that line reproduces those results over a full season the Habs could be looking at the asking price for an 80-90 point #1 center instead of a 60 point #2 center. If they want to "wait and sign him as a UFA", the AAV could end up being ridiculous, you just don't see 26 year old #1 centers on the market so the bidding would be intense.

Reactions: Guffman

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
That's what Buffalo thought 10 years ago.

IMO There are no superstars in the Habs prospect list. Even the ones that develop into NHL players are 4-5 years away from making an impact. Half of the ones with real potential to be impact players won't develop the way you hope. (That goes for the promising prospects on pretty much every list) The Habs have a lot of top 9/Top 4 spots they need to fill to be a playoff contender and I just don't see them having this in their prospect pool. It's going to be a long rebuild unless they supplement it somehow to keep their young players from jumping ship on account of all the loosing.

It really doesn't matter. The rebuild has just started and there is no rush at getting guys to compete right now. Call me back in ten years if we're Buffalo but highly doubt it.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Trade will be Dvorak, Florida's first and prospect caliber of Mysak or Smilinac. No team is going to give up a major piece for Dubois because they don't have long term control and everybody knows he wants to play in Montreal.

Habs know this and can wait it out as they are in rebuilding phrase. Jets, on other hand, I doubt they want to keep disgruntled player in their dressing room. I think the deal will get done before start of camp

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lets look at the Avs? They could use a 2C in Dubois. Care to play this game cause I think there is some value to this in terms of other teams thinking about Dubois? What contract goes the other way and what futures do they offer that trump the Panthers 1st and Kidney? Sakic surely tries to get an extension in place before the deal is made right? And can they afford a $8M center at 2C?

Do the Jets prefer this over the Habs?
Girard and Avs 1st
for
Dubois

Lets say Sakic doesn't get Dubois on an extension cause he prefers Dubois at his qualifying offer of $6M? Then what happens in the following season when he is asking for $8M+ at the same time Mackinnon needs a new contract? Right now for 23/24, Avs have 12 players signed with about $26.5M in cap space. Mackinnon is getting $10M and the discount he talked about in recent years is not asking for $12M IMO. So that's 13 players signed with $16.5M in cap. Subract Dubois at $8M. That's 14 players signed with $8.5M in cap. 9 players would be at under $1M. Doable? You tell me cause I bet Sakic is thinking about it

Reactions: murrough

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Expect this to go through at least 3-4 threads of 1000 pages each before another "update" that states the obvious is released. Going to be a fun year 🤮...

It's what we do as fans and how can we ignore the context that has been released? Can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen and go to the other threads.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trade will be Dvorak, Florida's first and prospect caliber of Mysak or Smilinac. No team is going to give up a major piece for Dubois because they don't have long term control and everybody knows he wants to play in Montreal.

Habs know this and can wait it out as they are in rebuilding phrase. Jets, on other hand, I doubt they want to keep disgruntled player in their dressing room. I think the deal will get done before start of camp

One team I am watching out for is Sakic and the Avs. Kadri has not signed yet and maybe Sakic is still trying to get him back at $8M or under. If Kadri signs somewhere else, what are the Avs plans at 2C? Rantanen? Not sure Sakic prefers this.

Possible Sakic will look to flip Girard and their 1st for Dubois and try to convince Dubois to stay. I question their cap structure though cause if Sakic values the $6M qualifying offer this season on Dubois, what happens next off season when both Dubois and MacKinnon needs new contracts?

Kadri signing might accelerate things.

Question for Jets fans?
* Is Girard and their late 1st
better than the Habs offer in
* Panthers unprotected 1st, Prospect like Kidney, Dvorak, and one of Hoffman, Dadonov, Armia, Drouin, Byron?

I'm assuming you pick the Avs offer if that's on the table?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the offers are not substantially better that what the Jets can get at the trade deadline in 2024 then they don't need to get it fixed soon. IMO a player like PLD the expected return as a rental is a top level prospect, a first in the bottom third of the draft and a roster player. If the Habs are not willing to exceed this then there is no incentive for the Jets to make a deal now because they can benefit from having him on the roster and still a good return later,

Something else to consider is that the line of Conner - PLD - Perfetti was the strongest the Jets had all season long. If that line reproduces those results over a full season the Habs could be looking at the asking price for an 80-90 point #1 center instead of a 60 point #2 center. If they want to "wait and sign him as a UFA", the AAV could end up being ridiculous, you just don't see 26 year old #1 centers on the market so the bidding would be intense.

It's easier said than done. Dubois clearly don't want to be there and usually, teams move that player out to avoid in season distraction. Not saying they have to send him to Montreal but I do expect them to move Dubois somewhere.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

It feels wierd that Tampa broke their bank for players like Hagel and Coleman for just 2 years of control....
I stated many times, if PLD gets his head out of his ass and sign a 2 year deal around 6 to 6,5 mil, he will by the TDL next spring be out of Winnipeg. PLD at 3 to 3,5 mil for 2 playoff runs.....
I think Jets rather want dead cap of PLD than a dead corpse like Hoffman for 2 seasons

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Just seeing what mess PLD creates want to play for Montreal, I would laugh if Bedard says during this season, he only wanna sign with Vancouver and will refuse offers from any other teams, oh man the panics =D

That is perfectly in his right to do so. But that would also make him lose at least a year of salary (if not 2), and not those ELC years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He absolutely moves us out of the top three; possibly the top five. Dubois would have been our second highest point scorer last season. Not to mention, we had an insane amount of injuries, which contributed to us being so bad. So even without him, we probably won't be tanking to the degree Chicago and Arizona are. Regardless, why pay assets on top of worsening our draft position for a player we can simply sign a few years later and be better for it?

If Winnipeg wants our junk contracts like Hoffman. Sure, we can entertain a trade. No chance, Dach, Barron, Guhle or even our 2nd is apart of it.

That "long-term top six center" has quit on two teams now and been a complete baby about it. I'm not exactly keen on giving up any decent assets then throwing a 7M+ contract at a kid whose career season is 61 points.

Dubois can demand whatever he likes. We aren't obligated to give it to him. Right now, he isn't worth anywhere near 9M. If he wants to play for the Habs, he'll be taking less or we'll just not sign him. Keep in mind, he wants to play for us. We weren't actively trying to acquire him.

Habs might be picking 5-10 range with our without Dubois anyways. Last season was a complete disaster with historic amount of injuries. I don't expect the Habs to play .250 winning % from Oct to Jan. Record with MSL that included both ups and downs and moves after the deadline was 9th last from Feb 10th to end of season (.432%).

Habs fans are too emotionally attached to Bedard thinking we are a sure shot bottom 3 team again. I think our pick can be anywhere from 3-12 range (with our without Dubois).

I do agree that salary in needs to match salary out. Dvorak is the likely one to be in that package and some fans calling him a negative value are reaching to devalue. He's an above average 3C and a below average 2C on a very fair contract. The other contract can be guys with one year left... Dadonov, Drouin, or Byron. Maybe they value having Armia back? He had a rough season last year but so did the entire team. Jets would know Armia well.

Futures at play with me are Panthers 1st, Kidney, Mysak. Pieces like that. If they ask for Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Barron, I'm out. Dach is one I would ponder about but his salary is less than Dvorak and we would have to keep Dvorak if we trade Dach cause after Poehling was traded, our centers are very thin after our top 4. So the contracts going the other way get worse. Got to take two of Dadonov, Hoffman, Drouin, Armia, and Byron

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lets look at the Avs? They could use a 2C in Dubois. Care to play this game cause I think there is some value to this in terms of other teams thinking about Dubois? What contract goes the other way and what futures do they offer that trump the Panthers 1st and Kidney? Sakic surely tries to get an extension in place before the deal is made right? And can they afford a $8M center at 2C?

Do the Jets prefer this over the Habs?

Girard and Avs 1st
for
Dubois

Lets say Sakic doesn't get Dubois on an extension cause he prefers Dubois at his qualifying offer of $6M? Then what happens in the following season when he is asking for $8M+ at the same time Mackinnon needs a new contract? Right now for 23/24, Avs have 12 players signed with about $26.5M in cap space. Mackinnon is getting $10M and the discount he talked about in recent years is not asking for $12M IMO. So that's 13 players signed with $16.5M in cap. Subract Dubois at $8M. That's 14 players signed with $8.5M in cap. 9 players would be at under $1M. Doable? You tell me cause I bet Sakic is thinking about it

They're able to afford Suzuki, so yes.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
So they are going with a Buffalo style 10 year plan? Tanking generally only works if you can add an elite player and already have a solid supporting cast, otherwise the pick typically flounders. Even a generational layer like McDavid can't carry a team by themselves.

Well free except for the 9+ million UFA contract. He may want to play for the Habs, but he's still going to get paid and 26 year old UFA centers expect to get paid a lot...
Montreal already have a couple of nice pieces in place. They’re not going Buffalo & Edmonton tank style.
He could have just gone the route of arbitration x2 with consecutive 1 year deals. The reason he didn't file is because he wants out NOW.

That's why more jets fans are saying "let him sit".

And Habs fans... FOR THE 1000TH TIME, JETS FANS DON'T WANT GUHLE!

We have a glut of lefties. We're actually trying to move one or two ourselves to make room for our youngsters that are arguably better prospects than him anyway. Fack
I don’t know why you are so angry about this. Any tine Guhle was mentioned by a Habs fan was to say he is not available for PLD. So why are you angry, lmao? You should be happy about it.
I mentionned guile because a bunch of Habs fans are talking about how untouchable he is even though not a single jets fan has included him in a proposal.

As for PLD, apparently Hughes disagrees because he made an offer for him at or before the draft. So regardless of how much interest random anonymous Habs fans on a hockey forum have, the actual guy who runs the show seems to have at least a little

Lots of Jets fans have asked for him or Caufield as the main pieces. Both aren’t happening. You should just be happy he isn’t going to be part of the deal. At least there’s that settled

Reactions: Habs Halifax

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's easier said than done. Dubois clearly don't want to be there and usually, teams move that player out to avoid in season distraction. Not saying they have to send him to Montreal but I do expect them to move Dubois somewhere.

I expect he plays for the Jets this season. These players have dealt with this kind of thing before with Trouba. They're pro hockey players, they understand it's a business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad