Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Wild.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
That being said, I like Gallagher a lot. He has little gas left in the tank but he's giving everything he have. He should be an example to others who doesn't give 20% of what Gally gives. I saw Gally being maltreated yesterday and neither Xhekaj or Anderson dropped gloves to defend him. This team is not yet a real team like in the good old time of Nilan, Corson and Roberge.
As some know, I have been one of Gallagher's biggest critics here. I have often stated that he has the worse stamina of any athlete I can remember. The proverbial one and done player. Today, because of age and injury, he's largely been reduced to half and done, showing exhaustion after only 20 seconds into his shift. That being said, no one can ever question his elite level of competitiveness. Regrettably, while having the heart of a lion he has the lungs of a fruit fly. But just image if Anderson had just a fraction of the passion and drive that Gallagher possesses. Wouldn't that would be something to see.

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
As some know, I have been one of Gallagher's biggest critics here. I have often stated that he has the worse stamina of any athlete I can remember. The proverbial one and done player. Today, because of age and injury, he's largely been reduced to half and done, showing exhaustion after only 20 seconds into his shift. That being said, no one can ever question his elite level of competitiveness. Regrettably, while having the heart of a lion he has the lungs of a fruit fly. But just image if Anderson had just a fraction of the passion and drive that Gallagher possesses. Wouldn't that would be something to see.
He did the first dozen or so games he was with the Habs. It was pretty fun to watch. Since then, not as much.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
A guy hits another severely. What's the response even if it's legal? It's to attack the guy that hit. You remember seeing a tough guy inviting another tough guy to fight because ANOTHER guy hit somebody from your team? What Xhejaj did was great. As he also chased Rossi and hit him without being portrait as a fake tough guy for dropping the gloves against him. Also, Xhejaj isn't Brian McGrattan. He has WAY more to offer than being a fighter.

Also, while the NHL'errs doesn't see it this way, in my world, I would have had NO PROBLEM with the Rossi hit. I have WAY more problems with Slafkovsky not realizing that he's in a NHL rink. And TOTALLY agree with St-Louis. The game isn't over till it is. And you have to protect yourself at all time. Slaf looked like a pee-wee in that sequence. Xhejaj did nothing wrong.
I'm totally agree about Slaf. He have to learn to protect him. What I saw yesterday was like seing a car accident in slow motion. Usually an accident happen fast but that one was very slow and predictable. I mean not only the hit but the naive attitude of Slaf, the disneyland rookie. It's good in a certain way that it happened and he was not injured. That hit was for his ego (and his learning experience), a kind of welcome to the NHL you kid.

So after writing this, the Xhekaj non-fight comes secondary. I am aware of the real value of Xhekaj with his fighting abilities and it's later in the season that I will judge that. Patience, patience, like with the rest of the rebuilt.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Yep his job. If you are the tough guy and you see the 18 yr old take a tough hit you don’t watch Jake Evans do the receipt. Sorry but that was the exact time he should have been all in. All the stupid stuff at the very end was weak and lame.

AX should be sent down as soon as Eddy or Math are set to return.
Perhaps Xhekaj is not just a fighter who plays hockey but a hockey player that can fight.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... Or maybe, just maybe, Xhekaj doesn't want to fight twice in two games and decided to fry a bigger fish next game. After all, he did show he had no qualms settling accounts from earlier seasons. Not to mention, he would've jumped a guy who doesn't even have weightclass.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Perhaps Xhekaj is not just a fighter who plays hockey but a hockey player that can fight.
There is a zone of mystery. This is why we have opposite opinions about what happened (and what didn't happened) yesterday. Even myself I'm mixed in between two opinions. This season is still young, so is Slaf and Xhekaj. I think when Eddy and Mathes comes it will become more regular. Nothing replaces experience and experience comes with time.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There is a zone of mystery. This is why we have opposite opinions about what happened (and what didn't happened) yesterday. Even myself I'm mixed in between two opinions. This season is still young, so is Slaf and Xhekaj. I think when Eddy and Mathes comes it will become more regularl. Nothing replaces experience and experience comes with time.

... Is this whole "instigator with less than 5 or 10 minutes left in the 3rd = suspended next game" in effect?

If that's the case, then of course Xhekaj can't jump anyone, as there's only 6 healthy D-Men on the team and I'm definitely positive that Xhekaj doesn't want to strong arm his GM into waiving a player just so Corey Schueneman can be called up for a single game against the Winnipeg Jets.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
... Or maybe, just maybe, Xhekaj doesn't want to fight twice in two games and decided to fry a bigger fish next game. After all, he did show he had no qualms settling accounts from earlier seasons. Not to mention, he would've jumped a guy who doesn't even have weightclass.
The real match would be Lucic or Reaves. Kassian has been destroyed, not really destroyed but he was no match vs Xhekaj. I will be curious when Xhekaj will meet Lucic. Who will invite the other one and who will win? ... or they will both avoid the match ...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The real match would be Lucic or Reaves. Kassian has been destroyed, not really destroyed but he was no match vs Xhekaj. I will be curious when Xhekaj will meet Lucic. Who will invite the other one and who will win? ... or they will both avoid the match ...
It's not about a match. It's about making MS his (insert expletive).

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
There is zero reason for Xhekaj to go and try fighting 5'9" Rossi. I think his response was appropriate in giving him a few shots near the end of the game, but I don't think there was any reason to fight a non-fighter like Rossi.

I think the hit was unnecessary at that point in the game, but I don't get what Slaf was even doing and putting himself in that situation.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Yep his job. If you are the tough guy and you see the 18 yr old take a tough hit you don’t watch Jake Evans do the receipt. Sorry but that was the exact time he should have been all in. All the stupid stuff at the very end was weak and lame.

AX should be sent down as soon as Eddy or Math are set to return.

Honestly I would have been uncomfortable seeing Xhekaj jump Rossi.

First, it was a grey zone hit. Reckless but not a complete cheap shot.

Second, there is a code in the NHL where you want guy fighting players in their size range.

By comparison, if Gallagher had to answer to Ryan Reaves for a hit on a player much bigger than him, I would call it crazy too.

And finally, Rossi probably would not have drop the gloves and just protect himself by laying down on the ice. No way Rossi takes on Xhekaj

Reactions: rik schau

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
There is zero reason for Xhekaj to go and try fighting 5'9" Rossi. I think his response was appropriate in giving him a few shots near the end of the game, but I don't think there was any reason to fight a non-fighter like Rossi.

I think the hit was unnecessary at that point in the game, but I don't get what Slaf was even doing and putting himself in that situation.
Did you see Slafs's reaction? A mix of surprise and the look in his face of a child starting to cry and running on his mother's knees. He did crawled to the bench that way, lol. He's still very young and he doesn't show he became a man yet. That was embarrassing but that's okay. He's learning. His body and his ego had that hit, equally. That was Part 1 of his learning process.

TheGr8Cornholio

Oct 20, 2022
Xman played a very decent game. And didn't he get tied down by a ref at the end of the game while to Wild players were allowed to swarm Moneyhab? What a BS reffing this game was.
Yep, the linesman made sure that he’d hang onto AX and let our guys get pushed around. The officiating sucked the whole game btw. But I’m happy with the result.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
LIke I said before... habs need a lot more nastiness to them. Forwards, for the most part, are still a bunch of creampuffs. There is very little of dishing out going on when an opposition defense going along the boards. I was more nasty.

Yep, the linesman made sure that he’d hang onto AX and let our guys get pushed around. The officiating sucked the whole game btw. But I’m happy with the result.
Especially since Arizona beat Panthers :cool:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
LIke I said before... habs need a lot more nastiness to them. Forwards, for the most part, are still a bunch of creampuffs. There is very little of dishing out going on when an opposition defense going along the boards. I was more nasty.

Especially since Arizona beat Panthers :cool:
That game yesterday was revealing. For those who think Habs will not tank, I think they are wrong. I expect Habs to lose a lot of games, especially vs teams with toughness. We have too many creampuffs and tourists.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
That game yesterday was revealing. For those who think Habs will not tank, I think they are wrong. I expect Habs to lose a lot of games, especially vs teams with toughness. We have too many creampuffs and tourists.

The people that don't think Habs are going to be lottery bad just positive souls. Don't agree with them but the ones who aren't trying to shove their opinions down people's throats are needed in this world.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
We will be considerably lower than 50/50 team and our winning percentage will take a material hit as we start trading off our most marketable assets.

The good or bad news is that we will again be drafting high in the upcoming deep draft.
Besides Monahan, we don't really have any marketable assets, who have been contributing much so far.

Reactions: Runner77

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His job was to peel Shaw off Evans before anything happened because it was a total mis-match. That's what a policeman does they don't go around chasing after fights. When a scrum ensues find the mismatch and negate it. Shaw would have calmed right down no doubt.
Shaw is 5'9", and even that's a stretch.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
His job was to peel Shaw off Evans before anything happened because it was a total mis-match. That's what a policeman does they don't go around chasing after fights. When a scrum ensues find the mismatch and negate it. Shaw would have calmed right down no doubt.
You're thinking too old school. If Xhekaj would have jumped in. He gets called as the 3rd man in and would end up with a game misconduct.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Hope the kids aren't dejected after the loss which I thought they gave a very good effort.Came out strong but couldn't sink one and then Allen lets in a softy.Some questionable officiating happening never helps either and before ya know it,a deeper hole.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Did you see Slafs's reaction? A mix of surprise and the look in his face of a child starting to cry and running on his mother's knees. He did crawled to the bench that way, lol. He's still very young and he doesn't show he became a man yet. That was embarrassing but that's okay. He's learning. His body and his ego had that hit, equally. That was Part 1 of his learning process.
For sure. He's an 18 year old kid, people forget that sometimes because he's a big body. Just because you're big doesn't mean you're tough or physical. It's all mindset

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad