Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Broons. Dach with a pair of goals.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
0.833 Alzners buyout cap hit
This still makes me laugh and is the perfect counter to all those silly "armchair GM HA stupid" comments.

I think there may have been about 11 fans in the world happy with this move. Everyone else knew it would end it a buyout.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I'm not arguing we should send Hoffman to the ahl. I'm arguing it wouldn't make sense to buy out his contract when we can just send him down. I don't expect either to happen, but if we were to do something, sending him down would a lot more sense than buying his contract out.

The habs already have enough cap space to do whatever they want next season.

This is what our expected 23-player roster for next season looks like + Edmundson traded:

Caufield (7.5 M contract) - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Farrell - Dach - Anderson
Ylonen - Dvorak - Gallagher
RHP - Evans - Hoffman
Armia

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Harris - Xhekaj
Wideman, Kovacevich

Allen
Monty

48.39 M forwards
13.82 M dmen
4.85M Goalies
--------------------------
67.9 M

That's 15.6 M in cap space.
Buying out Hoffman's contract just to save 3.3 M for next season and have a total cap space of 18.9 M instead is not needed.
And with that you have enough space for PLD's new contract and a cap dump like Mantha or Tyler Myers we could take on in exchange for picks.

But you are right. We might be able to do just that without even buying Hoffman out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Felt the same way when we played the leafs,was satisfied with the effort and would have preferred the same type of loss,does anyone miss Armia,Drouin.....NOT! hope they find a way to get rid of Hoffman and the other two dead heads.

I'm not the type to engage in the "Get Rid of" and "Dead Head" approach. I'm trying to avoid player attacks cause I don't think this helps the Habs and it gives us a bad reputation. The only one that concerns me is Gallagher and that is due to his term left. Anderson is totally fine to keep and the others will expire before we are contenders. Makes no sense to dwell on players we prefer not to have when we really don't need the cap space during our rebuild/transition years. Time will fix that. It would be a different story if we were closer to contending mode but we are not. It's going to be a process.

With the guys on IR and a few AHL call ups, we get to see what they can do. Lets focus on that but not at the cost of attacking the others we prefer not to have. That's what I think anyways.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not arguing we should send Hoffman to the ahl. I'm arguing it wouldn't make sense to buy out his contract when we can just send him down. I don't expect either to happen, but if we were to do something, sending him down would a lot more sense than buying his contract out.

This is what our expected 23-player roster for next season looks like + Edmundson traded:

RHP - Evans - Hoffman
Armia

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Harris - Xhekaj
Wideman, Kovacevich

Allen
Monty

48.39 M forwards
13.82 M dmen
4.85M Goalies
67.9 M

Buying out Hoffman's contract just to save 3.3 M for next season and have a total cap space of 18.9 M instead is not needed.

I don't think we buy him out or send him down. So I personally rather not talk about it more. Just let him be and let it expire. If we can trade him, trade him. If not, let it expire.

Agreed.....................but man I want this guy gone this summer too. Hopefully we buy him out.....just can't see anyone giving us a pick for him.

Even if we trade for Dubois, I see another bottom 10 finish next year. I'm fine with the soft Hoffman for one more season. If Hughes can trade him and it makes sense, he will. If not, one more season won't hurt IMO. Gallagher is the one I'm worried about. Big cap hit with lots of term left. The last 2 years ish may be a problem for us but a problem for another day and maybe he goes on LTIR eventually.

I actually don't want that many roster spots open next year up front. Why? Cause it's going to create this situation where we rush a prospect like Roy or Mesar. I'd make room for Heineman and Ylonen and maybe Farrell. They are more NHL ready. If Roy makes the team, he forces our hand. Not because we are trying to push him into a spot.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

RHP - Evans - Hoffman
Armia

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Harris - Xhekaj
Wideman, Kovacevich

Allen
Monty

48.39 M forwards
13.82 M dmen
4.85M Goalies
67.9 M

You need to add Price's $10.5m. Then another $1m in bonus overages maybe $1,25m. That brings it to $79.65m.

We also need to sign Harris. We'll give him Sandin's contract of $1.4m. Leaving us at $81.05m.

Cap is expected to go up $1m, so $83.5m leaving us with $2.45m in cap space. Montreal could keep Price off LTIR next season, and actually accrue cap space for once. Otherwise they'll try to maximize his cap hit by bringing in another Monahan.

Other option is to get right to cap with Price's contract ($83.5m). Then put him on LTIR opening day leaving us the full value of $10.5m for LTIR.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This still makes me laugh and is the perfect counter to all those silly "armchair GM HA stupid" comments.

I think there may have been about 11 fans in the world happy with this move. Everyone else knew it would end it a buyout.
Youre being very kind to this board and the average hab fan. A lot of people liked that signing.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Dach with 2 goals and Habs lose in regular? I'm the most happiest man in the world!

Dach is my favorite forward 🤩
I didn't like the trade not because I had anything against Curvy Duck but because I really liked Romy. However, I am very happy with what I am seeing from him. If this is actually how he will always play, I say that was a good trade.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Why? Buying him out saves $3.3M in cap space next year and we don't have to deal with Hoffman taking up a roster spot in Laval. The $1.6M cap penalty in '24-25 is negligible.

I think Edmundson is more of a next season type of trade unless someone gives Hughes a good offer. Habs arent in any rush to move him and his play hasnt been great this year with injuries, could wait and see how he rebounds next year with better health/play.

The other factor to consider is that we have Matheson who's not moving any time soon and three rookie LHDs that will continue to need more minutes to facilitate their progression. If we keep Edmundson and Matheson has a healthy season it could create a bit of a logjam.

Reactions: Rapala

Jul 6, 2016
I would think at this point he insists on playing (especially vs the Bruins tonight), but if he has a f***ed up hand, he'll have to sit very soon, hence the limited minutes
Yeah. It could be the explanation. I am just starting to worry about the "image" and "culture" of the club. Most Habs orgs don't like when a player is becoming bigger than the club. Xhekaj is all over the place in the media. He is a blue-collar class hero, and so on. Fans loves him a lot.... I hope I am wrong about it.

Jul 6, 2016
I am sometimes puzzled by MSL's decisons (or lack of). He looks like a guy who is just just torned between his natural desire to win, and the organizational need to lose as much as possible. He looks like a guy who doesn't appreciate much Montambeault's performances and would prefer to have his guy , Allen between the pipes. A goalie who seems to understand the "tanking" principle..... (kidding here)

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

I think that a lot of people thought that Alzner would be okay here, but not great. I figured he'd be similar to Chiarot or Edmundson. Turns out I was wrong.

The main reason a lot of people, myself included, had an issue with the signing right away was that Bergevin seemingly signed Alzner to replace Markov, which... what?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think that a lot of people thought that Alzner would be okay here, but not great. I figured he'd be similar to Chiarot or Edmundson. Turns out I was wrong.

The main reason a lot of people, myself included, had an issue with the signing right away was that Bergevin seemingly signed Alzner to replace Markov, which... what?
A moment full of blunders. Lost both Radulov and Markov.

Reactions: the

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Cool.

Boston sucks. They've always sucked. They suck now. They will always suck.

Imagine waking up and cheering for Marchand...

That sucks.

Imagine listhening to Jack Edwards on your play by play.

That sucks.

Imagine putting on that uniform...

Boston sucks.
There were only a few MUSTS for me this season.

1) Kids Progressing while executing at a decent level.
2) Finding a way to continue at or near the bottom while supporting the youth with positives.
3) Beat Bostom Beat Toronto and Beat Ottawa each and every time we play them.
4) Remove the lingering deadbeat veterans from the scene before season end.

I can't complain about our efforts against those three despicable franchises but to find the proper balance for 2) and the uncertainty of 4) will be a tall order.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Speculation based off Xhekaj not dropping one of his gloves in his fight versus Gavin Smith in the Florida game. Usually players shake both gloves off when they're about to go. Xhekaj didn't.

Usually when a player leaves a glove on, it's because it's taped, or in some instances, has a cast. It's illegal to fight with a taped hand. It's an automatic match penalty for deliberate attempt to injure. Tape can cause severe cuts to opponents.
Yeah something Souray forgot and yes he got tossed. :laugh:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You need to add Price's $10.5m. Then another $1m in bonus overages maybe $1,25m. That brings it to $79.65m.

We also need to sign Harris. We'll give him Sandin's contract of $1.4m. Leaving us at $81.05m.

Cap is expected to go up $1m, so $83.5m leaving us with $2.45m in cap space. Montreal could keep Price off LTIR next season, and actually accrue cap space for once. Otherwise they'll try to maximize his cap hit by bringing in another Monahan.

Other option is to get right to cap with Price's contract ($83.5m). Then put him on LTIR opening day leaving us the full value of $10.5m for LTIR.

I included Harris' potential next contract (1.3) in my calculations.

If I include the bonus overages, that still leave us with around 14.3 M of cap space with Price on LTIR.

Why? Buying him out saves $3.3M in cap space next year and we don't have to deal with Hoffman taking up a roster spot in Laval. The $1.6M cap penalty in '24-25 is negligible.

As I said, the 3.3M in cap space savings next year is negligible when the team already has so much cap space.

Hoffman taking up a roster spot in Laval is not even an issue. In fact, it's a positive. Half our forward group in the ahl is made up of veterans with no nhl future. They are there only to help Laval win games. Hoffman would just be a massive upgrade over one of these veterans.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

There's 2 ways to look at it (and neither are great). Alzner was brought in to replace Markov or Alzner was brought in to replace Emelin and Streit was brought in to replace the offense of Markov. Either way, made no sense to lose Markov and Radulov and replace them with Alzner, Morrow, Streit and Hemsky. Once Radulov was gone, should have just overpaid Markov on a 1 year deal if they were insistent on not giving him 2.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That Hoffman deal made no sense when it was signed. Why commit a multi year deal to someone who is a flawed one dimensional player with effort issues? Also Hoffman is the type of player Bergy always avoided and yet he decided to give him a 3 year deal. Made no sense then and makes little sense now.
There isn’t a chance in hell of trading him. It looks headed for a buyout. There’s a reason he could only get a PTO in the season that preceded the contract the Habs extended. What were the Habs thinking?
Bergevin wanted to out bid St. Louis who offered the same deal ($4.5m) but for 2 years only, so MB offered 3. 🤔

Hoffman took the extra year. I don't know if he's even in the NHL next year.

Hoffman, Drouin & Dadonov I expect will all be ex-NHLers next year. Ditto Wideman, who will be waived. Barron is finally winning his spot.

Guhle - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Matheson - Kovacevic
Harris

Are all ahead of Wideman. Maybe we keep 8D, but it's doubtful.

Unless we trade a bunch of forwards, I think we keep 14F next season. I don't think either one of RHP or Ylonen clear waivers. Arizona, Chicago, Ottawa, or even Washington & Pittsburgh will pick them up. They're young & cheap.
Bergevin was taking a lot of heat for our inept PP. Something that plagued him for almost his entire tenure. Hoffman was supposed to turn that around. I can't believe he thought he would be a reliable player 5v5.

Our forward group should have a completely different feel to it next season. I personally don't think either of those two player will be a long term fit unless we replace both Evans and Pitlick with some serious muscle. I don't know about anyone else but I'm fed up watching teams take liberties and cheap shotting our emerging talent the list is a long and sorry one going all the way back to Koivu. Wifi can't and shouldn't have to carry the full load of the policing and the others don't have the wiring neccessary to perform that role. The hit on Caufield, Gudas running Dach, and Fortbort ramming Suzuki has to stop.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What exactly did you expect? The Habs were literally the worst team in the league last year. The only major move they made was acquiring that player who is now playing as our best forward. He’s 21.
I agree. In two years we will be playing some meaningful hockey and people should reserve their judgement until the lads actually have something to play for.

Reactions: le_sean

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
This is never fun to lose against the Bruins but there were a lot of positives in this game.

-Dach is really impressive these days. He's very strong on the puck , is responsible defensively and can drive the net.

-Really liked our 4th line...especially liked RHP aka Gally Junior

-Barron made a lot of good plays (a few rookie mistakes too)

-Monty was solid once again.

-Anderson played like we hope he does every game.

-Overall we weren't badly outplayed by the best team in the league

The disappointment was mainly Hoffman. For each good play he does he's going to make 3 awful ones.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Good battle but Question for ya'll.Your not in spot that favors Bedard and Fantilli but personally I think Michkov is a beast and don't take no crap .He is stronger then other 2 in my opinion & world class skills.Problem is he is signed in KHL till 2026 I believe. He will go in this draft in top 10 for sure Would you be happy if it was your team ?

he's also suspect with his play away from the puck, some say Nail Yakopov awareness when he's not carrying the biscuit. high risk high reward player that we have lots of already. Just wait another 6 weeks we will be bottom 5, fingers crossed lottery pick... but will be hard to dethrone chicago and columbus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad