Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Broons. Dach with a pair of goals.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
A moment full of blunders. Lost both Radulov and Markov.

There's 2 ways to look at it (and neither are great). Alzner was brought in to replace Markov or Alzner was brought in to replace Emelin and Streit was brought in to replace the offense of Markov. Either way, made no sense to lose Markov and Radulov and replace them with Alzner, Morrow, Streit and Hemsky. Once Radulov was gone, should have just overpaid Markov on a 1 year deal if they were insistent on not giving him 2.
hah, I forgot that Streit came back and played a handful of games before we released him.

Reactions: donghabs98

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
I'm not the type to engage in the "Get Rid of" and "Dead Head" approach. I'm trying to avoid player attacks cause I don't think this helps the Habs and it gives us a bad reputation. The only one that concerns me is Gallagher and that is due to his term left. Anderson is totally fine to keep and the others will expire before we are contenders. Makes no sense to dwell on players we prefer not to have when we really don't need the cap space during our rebuild/transition years. Time will fix that. It would be a different story if we were closer to contending mode but we are not. It's going to be a process.

With the guys on IR and a few AHL call ups, we get to see what they can do. Lets focus on that but not at the cost of attacking the others we prefer not to have. That's what I think anyways.
Your opinion and I respect it but not the "lets " part.If they suck I have every right to voice my opinion .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your opinion and I respect it but not the "lets " part.If they suck I have every right to voice my opinion .

You can do whatever you wish. I just don't see value in trashing players and kicking them when they are down. I may be crazy but I prefer Montreal to be better than that. We do have a reputation and players avoid us for that very reason. Our fans and media is no different than Toronto. We can do better if we try IMO.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Not sure if we’re similar ages, but I agree… my formative hockey years was during the late 70’s and through the 80’s. THAT was hatred between the teams and fanbases.

I that was genuine hate. The Leafs for myself anyways is more annoying, wanting them to STFU. The Bruins I had physical hatred brewing when watching those games. Maybe this will all come back like the early-half of the past 10 years if we can get more playoff action versus one another.
Bruins fan.
Montreal will always be The RIval. Growing up in the 70s I couldn't stand your team and how you always won. Late 80s/early 90s had 9 straight seasons were they met in the playoffs as two of the best in the league and Boston finally beating you guys remains one of my all-time favourite hockey memories. Annoys me how Leaf fans and younger fans try to shoehorn themselves in as if three playoff series compares to what our two teams have done over my lifetime.

I miss the rivalry. Same as with The Flyers. The league is better when you guys are good. The league is great when we meet in the playoffs. Just been two teams on different paths for the past decade. Bruins messed up The Covid season after that two month break when we could've met in The Finals.

Hope we get to see a few playoff matchups soon and rekindle that hate.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
As I said, the 3.3M in cap space savings next year is negligible when the team already has so much cap space.

Hoffman taking up a roster spot in Laval is not even an issue. In fact, it's a positive. Half our forward group in the ahl is made up of veterans with no nhl future. They are there only to help Laval win games. Hoffman would just be a massive upgrade over one of these veterans.

1. The team might not need the cap space, but could they use it? What if that extra $3.3M could facilitate another Monahan-type deal?

2. It's not just about cap space, it's also about roster spots. Next year we have a number of young forwards turning pro (Farrell, Roy, Kidney, maybe Mesar, Heineman could come over, etc.). If I'm management, I want space for them in Laval.

3. Regardless of all this, teams rarely demote an established vet unless their play falls off completely (i.e. Alzner). Hoffman isn't a great fit on this team but he's an NHL talent and if he's the wrong fit, teams usually do what they can to facilitate that player pursuing his career elsewhere rather than stick them in the AHL. Also it's hard to justify sending down Hoffman when players like Pezzetta are on the roster. Even if it worked strategically, it's not something you see given the culture of the team and the league.

Reactions: Walrus26

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bruins fan.
Montreal will always be The RIval. Growing up in the 70s I couldn't stand your team and how you always won. Late 80s/early 90s had 9 straight seasons were they met in the playoffs as two of the best in the league and Boston finally beating you guys remains one of my all-time favourite hockey memories. Annoys me how Leaf fans and younger fans try to shoehorn themselves in as if three playoff series compares to what our two teams have done over my lifetime.

I miss the rivalry. Same as with The Flyers. The league is better when you guys are good. The league is great when we meet in the playoffs. Just been two teams on different paths for the past decade. Bruins messed up The Covid season after that two month break when we could've met in The Finals.

Hope we get to see a few playoff matchups soon and rekindle that hate.
Habs need to better soon, so that both fan bases can enjoy the rivalry. Nothing better than the Bruins/Habs in a playoff series...............The amount of playoff history is insane.

Sergei Gonchar. Manny Malhotra, Bryan Allen, Al Montoya. I'm surely forgetting some. MB loved throwing **** at the wall while Price was slowly getting older ....
His stupidity had NO boundaries.....10 years, over and over.....rinse and repeat.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
That Hoffman deal made no sense when it was signed. Why commit a multi year deal to someone who is a flawed one dimensional player with effort issues? Also Hoffman is the type of player Bergy always avoided and yet he decided to give him a 3 year deal. Made no sense then and makes little sense now.
It's even crazier when you remember the year before we signed him
Nobody wanted to sign him at all, and he needed a PTO with the blues like a month in just to make a squad..
Looked like it was all that he needed to see because here came Daddy warbucks Berge with 13.5 million bucks for THREE years
That 3rd year looked bad then, it looks even worse now ffs

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
It's even crazier when you remember the year before we signed him
Nobody wanted to sign him at all, and he needed a PTO with the blues like a month in just to make a squad..
Looked like it was all that he needed to see because here came Daddy warbucks Berge with 13.5 million bucks for THREE years
That 3rd year looked bad then, it looks even worse now ffs
Its like no one learned from when the Canes signed Semin. Semin had a great year in Carolin, signed a long term deal and never played close to that level again. Some players should not be given long term deals. Especially ones with effort issues.
Don't forget Ales Hemsky and Alex Semin, 2 players with nothing left in the tank.
Bergy loved getting big name NHLers on their last legs: Staal, Semin, Briere, Hemsky, Gonchar. Only one that was impactful was Perry and hes going to end up playing a few seasons after leaving Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad