Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to LA

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Why has Caulfield sucked for so many games now???

He's easily being neutralized. But despite all that, he still has 6 pts in his last 10 games. And only 1 of those points is on the PP. So he's still contributing offensively even if other teams are finding ways to make him less effective overall.

The only disappointing part is that he's not scoring. He only has 2 goals in his last 13 games. And that's not Caudield-like. When Slaf was serving up golden scoring chances to Anderson and he was missing, you didn't expect that Slaf setting Cole up for golden opportunities, he'd be missing so many also.

Reactions: Redux91

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
if they're struggling with a fully healthy team, then I’d be worried. not even mcdavid can carry this team right now.
You don’t need to be on a top team to produce. Star players find a way to produce. The odd point is trickling in for Caulfield and Suzuki, but it’s not like they’re putting on a show, so to speak. Shots are off, passing is off. I’m concerned.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He's easily being neutralized. But despite all that, he still has 6 pts in his last 10 games. And only 1 of those points is on the PP. So he's still contributing offensively even if other teams are finding ways to make him less effective overall.

The only disappointing part is that he's not scoring. He only has 2 goals in his last 13 games. And that's not Caudield-like. When Slaf was serving up golden scoring chances to Anderson and he was missing, you didn't expect that Slaf setting Cole up for golden opportunities, he'd be missing so many also.
Ya but that’s on him. He used to find spots and now he’s not. Ovechkin has been scoring from the exact same spot for over a decade. Why hasn’t he been neutralized? He stands there and blasts a shot.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ya but that’s on him. He used to find spots and now he’s not. Ovechkin has been scoring from the exact same spot for over a decade. Why hasn’t he been neutralized? He stands there and blasts a shot.

You're talking about the PP. The one thing is that Ovechkin gets the puck at the right spot to shoot. Many times, Cole gets the puck on his skates or off target. It's like the guys have fotgotten how to set him up properly on the PP.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You're talking about the PP. The one thing is that Ovechkin gets the puck at the right spot to shoot. Many times, Cole gets the puck on his skates or off target. It's like the guys have fotgotten how to set him up properly on the PP.

There's not enough elements to get Caufield open.. and there isn't enough players able to serve him the puck.

Ovechkin had Backstrom, Oshie in the bumper, Kuznetsov and Carlson on the point.

Until the Habs have enough available talent, it won't work. Hutson will help and a healthy Dach will help.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

We found the problem. It's the Slaf!

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Why has Caulfield sucked for so many games now???
Why? Because both he and Suzuki are the new Plekanec and Pacioretty, good players but not good enough to lead the charge on a team starved for offense. We have been this way for the last 30 years. The guys on our top lines are typically not as good as what we see around the league from the best teams. The issue is that we are giving both of them just under 8 million a year so they are expected to lead.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Why? Because both he and Suzuki are the new Plekanec and Pacioretty, good players but not good enough to lead the charge on a team starved for offense. We have been this way for the last 30 years. The guys on our top lines are typically not as good as what we see around the league from the best teams. The issue is that we are giving both of them just under 8 million a year so they are expected to lead.
What’s crazy is a lot of people wanted Dubois last summer. Can you imagine dumping even more absurd money into another player whose not even close to a PPG? We have to be patient to get the team we actually want. How many years do we have to watch a GM try to quick fix things to understand Rome wasn’t built in a day?

Reactions: OldCraig71

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Do last night's Los Angeles goals reduce your long-term enthusiasm for Kaiden Guhle?
He's getting exposed by execution speed and harder match-up since MSL started to shelter a bit Matheson and Guhle is now in Savard's spot as the main shutdown D. Since he's only 21 and doesn't have a full NHL season under his belt yet, I see this as just normal progression hiccups.

Slaf was never going to be the only kid that was going to struggle this season.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
.... but we didn't capitalize on our chances.
That was the major observation I came away with. The Habs I thought had more scoring chances the first two periods. I turned it off after the third goal.

There was a movie called The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight. I suggest we borrow that for this team. Apparently, they have a skills coach. Maybe he should spend the rest of the year teaching them to hit the net. I haven't got stats to prove it but my feeling is the Habs must have one of the highest number of shots directed at the net that don't hit the net. I don't mean just in last night's game. This has been a problem all year long.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Even worse ... we lost to a team wearing these:

sJ7HLPA.gif

Depression.jpg

How we doing today lmao

Reactions: Runner77

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
That should be Caulfield s bread and butter. The PP. the best shooters position themselves properly and adjust when a pass is off. He’s done it before, so what’s changed? The PP was close to top 10 for a while and has dropped like a stone. I love the guy, but for him, he’s been really bad for quite a while now. Of course it’s not all on him, but he bears a lot of it.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad