Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Butt-Ugly jerseys and to the worst team in the league!

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The more I watch MSL the more I think he is not long for this job. I am just not impressed.

I think he'll get the last season on his contract to judge him.

I've never really thought MSL was a great coach, just a better one than Ducharme. But I a don't think the way management was looking at MSL or the team as a whole has much to do with on-ice results or measures.

It always felt that, unless the org got incredibly lucky, the plan was for the 2025-2026 season to be the one where a serious management effort to make the playoffs would happen, since most of Bergevin's egregious cap mistakes would be dealt with and more young guys would have development time. What's happening now (injuries or not) is expected.

Of the 46 D-men 23 and under to play at least a 3rd of the season for their team, 5 of them are Habs (of the 25 22 and under, 4 are Habs). Montreal's 2nd line right now is Gallagher, Evans and Anderson. I don't care who your coaching staff is or how exciting the quality of prospects, no team with that kind of forward depth or that kind of inexperience on D is going to be a serious playoff contender. No team will look good with that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I didn't think my comment would be taken that seriously, either.
How else was the word « dumb » supposed to be taken? It’s not exactly flattering, nor was there an emoji attached to your response, nor some funny come backer to suggest otherwise.

If you’re going to qualify something someone posts as « dumb » and not add context, then it doesn’t have the meaning you’re now saying it has, it’s a pretty direct, cut and dried, condescending qualifier.

You’re a serious poster so yes, excuse me if I take what you say, seriously.

At times like these, I wonder why I even bother getting involved, attempting stuff in here.

Suit yourself, moving on.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I think he'll get the last season on his contract to judge him.

I've never really thought MSL was a great coach, just a better one than Ducharme. But I a don't think the way management was looking at MSL or the team as a whole has much to do with on-ice results or measures.

It always felt that, unless the org got incredibly lucky, the plan was for the 2025-2026 season to be the one where a serious management effort to make the playoffs would happen, since most of Bergevin's egregious cap mistakes would be dealt with and more young guys would have development time. What's happening now (injuries or not) is expected.

Of the 46 D-men 23 and under to play at least a 3rd of the season for their team, 5 of them are Habs (of the 25 22 and under, 4 are Habs). Montreal's 2nd line right now is Gallagher, Evans and Anderson. I don't care who your coaching staff is or how exciting the quality of prospects, no team with that kind of forward depth or that kind of inexperience on D is going to be a serious playoff contender. No team will look good with that.

Yup, if you look at how our cap situation is set up, you can tell HuGo are looking at summer of 2025 for the 2025-2026 season to rebuild the team in their image.

Allen, Savard, Kovacevic, Dvorak, Armia, Evans, and Pezzetta are all UFAs. Petry's retained salary is done.

Matheson will have one year left on his contract, and should be easily tradeable at that point considering his production and the rate that salaries/caps are increasing.

Even Anderson might be considered cheap by then. He'll still have 2 years left.

We have another year of this before, hopefully it gets better.

Reactions: Captain Mountain

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yup, if you look at how our cap situation is set up, you can tell HuGo are looking at summer of 2025 for the 2025-2026 season to rebuild the team in their image.

Allen, Savard, Kovacevic, Dvorak, Armia, Evans, and Pezzetta are all UFAs. Petry's retained salary is done.

Matheson will have one year left on his contract, and should be easily tradeable at that point considering his production and the rate that salaries/caps are increasing.

Even Anderson might be considered cheap by then. He'll still have 2 years left.

We have another year of this before, hopefully it gets better.

Plus, Montreal still needs high first round picks (either for high-end prospects or as trade fodder). I feel like some fans on here don't truly appreciate just how badly a state Bergevin left the organization, but it was never going to be a quick fix. Montreal is likely to have decent lottery odds for at least two more drafts.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Plus, Montreal still needs high first round picks (either for high-end prospects or as trade fodder). I feel like some fans on here don't truly appreciate just how badly a state Bergevin left the organization, but it was never going to be a quick fix. Montreal is likely to have decent lottery odds for at least two more drafts.

Yeah, 2024 & 2025. 2025 draft is looking pretty good too.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
And there it is. I waited a day before coming here to fell that out. I had my doubts at the beginning when they hired Marty straight out of Junior B hockey to be the head coach of an NHL team...never was sold on Burrows either straight from playing basically to coaching? Even our GM has no GM experience (but I will let that one slide for now since he has great experience with contracts and players etc...for now).

You pair that with rookies at all positions basically and you have an AHL team and not a great one either. The real question is how long before they realize that having rookie coaching staff try and nurture along a team FULL of rookies is not a great idea?

Time will tell I suppose, hopefully it isn't to late for the young kids by then. And by the way, I am all good with rookie NHL coaches but can we at least have some prior pedigree/experience coaching professional level teams? I mean it is only the most storied franchise in hockey....

Until next time friends!

Yoor.
Well said, pretty much what I’ve been saying all along, yesterday was probably the most glaring example I’ve seen so far. Hopefully management addresses the need for a little more experienced coaching help behind the bench. Robidas is in over his head and Burrows hasn’t progressed one bit.But will Marty bend ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad