Post-Game Talk: Habs lose big to Sabres. Special teams, not so special.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Does gallagher know that the puck needs to go in the back of the net to score not his entire body
While he is clearly in an increasingly abrupt decline, no one can ever question this player’s efforts. Whatever he has left, Gallagher is expending it, at the risk of his body and health. Every shift. Every game.

For you youngsters, this was the way the game was played through the 50s and 60s. Players played every shift like it was their last one.

We have to stop blaming and ridiculing Gallagher for the team’s incredible incompetence in awarding him that horrible contract. Gallagher is trying his best to live up to that contract. But sadly, his best efforts are simply not enough. Not nearly.

Last edited:

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
OuoFB0d.gif
Is that Kevin James? lol

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Fire Bergevin.
Berg rebuilt a team twice for long playoff runs. This team is made of glass and systemless with no accountability.

But hey waiting year after year for more talent worked for the oilers. They even got the 2 best players. Maybe we can be lucky to be the leafs, hyping are players and paying them before they accomplish anything of actual importance like playoffs success.

Culture is deteriorating and it’s sad to see

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Berg rebuilt a team twice for long playoff runs. This team is made of glass and systemless with no accountability.

But hey waiting year after year for more talent worked for the oilers. They even got the 2 best players. Maybe we can be lucky to be the leafs, hyping are players and paying them before they accomplish anything of actual importance like playoffs success.

Culture is deteriorating and it’s sad to see
Yes we all dearly miss Bergevin

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
If the injuries continue and we become active sellers as the trade deadline approaches, your prophecy stands an excellent chance of becoming a reality. But that should be of no real concern as this year was never destined to be anything more than a dress rehearsal for our younger players.

The re-build continues.
Agreed. And we don't know what St Louis is trying to accomplish as a coach. His overriding goal may be to develop the young players and the right culture. Winning might have been the main objective before Dach and Newhook went down and they had a reasonable chance at making the playoffs.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Allen and Gallagher, two players who carved out solid careers but it is obvious that they are no longer effective players.

I am not too concerned about Caufield although we are somewhat disappointed at his overall play this season. Cole is too talented to not figure things out.

My concern is not with the players, what we have assembled is what it is.

My concern is with the coaching staff, they simply are not very good.

I still think we are getting a top 7 pick.
In all fairness, the coaching staff doesn't have much to work with but to your point, I don't understand why we give up the blueline so easily, that is clearly on the coaching staff. Most teams can walk into our zone very easily, our forwards collapse too low and this causes us to give up prime scoring chances. One other thing, why is it that we look so different on home ice as opposed to the game we play on the road? They seem to play a looser uptempo game on the road but at home it's the opposite, I don't know, maybe I'm seeing something that isn't really a thing. Oh yeah, one more thing, get rid of the stupid drop pass.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yeah keep laughing, it's painful to face reality stay where you are it's more pleasant

Ok so which one is it? He didn't get offered more than a 2nd or he is worth more than a 1st?
LeBrun intimated Cgy offered 1st for Anderson.

A 20-something 1st rounder historically has less than 15% chance of playing in the NHL. As Julien Brisebois said last deadline when asked about asking price for Jeannot, “I acquired an NHL player, those picks likely won’t play in the league”

Anderson HAS to net a NHL regular asset otherwise it’s a meaningless deal. Thankfully his knee wasn’t injured.. a big body w such speed and no history of knee injuries will maintain his value over duration of his present contract

Reactions: mdk and Forum93

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
LeBrun intimated Cgy offered 1st for Anderson.

A 20-something 1st rounder historically has less than 15% chance of playing in the NHL. As Julien Brisebois said last deadline when asked about asking price for Jeannot, “I acquired an NHL player, those picks likely won’t play in the league”
I like Anderson but you rarely have the opportunity to return a 1st for what most see as a negative value asset

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I like Anderson but you rarely have the opportunity to return a 1st for what most see as a negative value asset
How is Anderson a “negative value asset” and who are “most” that see? Fanbase?

Hockey people don’t seem to hold the same viewpoint based on LeBruns viewpoint of Cgy’s desire to acquire and HuGo’s desire to hold onto asset, because offer wasn’t high enough

This blind love affair of 1st rounders needs to stop… just look at the Habs 1st round pick success post Bob Gainey selection in 1973…

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
This blind love affair of 1st rounders needs to stop… just look at the Habs 1st round pick success post Bob Gainey selection in 1973…
I can agree with that, tracking the Florida first was super lame last year

But the posters here would trade Suzuki + Caufield if we got a couple 1sts back for each of them, nobody is off limits for a couple unprotected 1sts

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Allen and Gallagher, two players who carved out solid careers but it is obvious that they are no longer effective players.

I am not too concerned about Caufield although we are somewhat disappointed at his overall play this season. Cole is too talented to not figure things out.

My concern is not with the players, what we have assembled is what it is.

My concern is with the coaching staff, they simply are not very good.

I still think we are getting a top 7 pick.
Buffalo has all but three players that are first round picks,you can have all the top picks you want but if your coaching staff sucks it's useless,result=Inconsistent pond style jekyll & hyde hockey.16880904538959088113588545965508_Original.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Am I wrong seeing a pattern here…..??
Play Monty & win !! … play Allen & LOSE !!!
If we start thinking Tank and we need the loss, Monty stands on his head. So we’re always in no man’s land, smack between high picks and playoffs.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I also miss Therien and Gainey , ahhhh the good old days , back when the habs used to be great and relevant and have a WINNING CULTURE ( I swear this is how people look back on the mediocre piss bottom 5 roster Price era teams). Like were you guys not embarassed that we made the playoffs of the back of our goaltender every year? I know Molson and Antichambre weren't embarrassed they had the entire province dupped into thinking we had a good team LOL

Talking about culture this culture that lmfao , you guys must be kidding me , our culture in the past 25 years is getting laughed at by any other NHL fan of any other team that takes a peek at our roster on paper.

Its not said enough , there's absolutely nothing to be proud about the 21st century of the habs. So please cut the culture crap. Unless you are talking about ancient history culture than sure habs used to have a great culture of success

TANK TANK TANK REBUILD REBUILD REBUILD!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: jrom

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
In all fairness, the coaching staff doesn't have much to work with but to your point, I don't understand why we give up the blueline so easily, that is clearly on the coaching staff. Most teams can walk into our zone very easily, our forwards collapse too low and this causes us to give up prime scoring chances. One other thing, why is it that we look so different on home ice as opposed to the game we play on the road? They seem to play a looser uptempo game on the road but at home it's the opposite, I don't know, maybe I'm seeing something that isn't really a thing. Oh yeah, one more thing, get rid of the stupid drop pass.
They keep doing the same things over and over expecting different results.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Leaving 5 and 6 feet of open space behind our Dmen is a comedy a tragic comedy.
it’s been an obvious gaping hole like they are doing it on purpouse for a few weeks, never seen that since I started watching hockey. Almost looks intentional. Here, just walk up to the net.

Reactions: Rapala

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
We have the worst forward production in the NHL. Our 2 best scorers are streaky especially Caufield . If we want consistent offense, Slaf needs to straight up provide his own offense. And we need to find another big point producer.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
The habs looked okay in the first but the disallowed goal took the momentum away and the team let off the gas after that and as for the goals on Allen, there wasn't much support from his teammates. Caufield turned the puck over every time he touched it and this led to more pressure from the Sabres. He is completely lost out there for some reason.
Hate to say it but his “I’m too cool for this city it’s fans and that media” attitude will only gel as long as he’s scoring buckets.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Hate to say it but his “I’m too cool for this city it’s fans and that media” attitude will only gel as long as he’s scoring buckets.
Have to have a chill attitude here if they want to survive. Just look at comments on HF, it’s the best example. A player have to deal with way more than elsewhere. Can’t even get back from injuries without fans watching your every shift and point out every details. When the goals are there, people find something else.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Have to have a chill attitude here if they want to survive. Just look at comments on HF, it’s the best example. A player have to deal with way more than elsewhere. Can’t even get back from injuries without fans watching your every shift and point out every details. When the goals are there, people find something else.
Sure. Or shut up and put up… Grinning on spitting chicklets laughing at the media (and the fans) rubbed me funny yesterday. His teams sucks, he’s a liability on the ice and I can’t stand the attitude personnally. The line between swagger and “whatever I don’t care lol” is a fine one for me. Man up kid and stop sucking.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
We have the worst forward production in the NHL. Our 2 best scorers are streaky especially Caufield . If we want consistent offense, Slaf needs to straight up provide his own offense. And we need to find another big point producer.
Part of it surely is that we're missing Newhook, Dach, RHP and now it gets worse with Dvorak going down. Essentially, we're missing 2/3 of our 2nd line and their production and the side-effects that comes with that to the 1st line. But there is no doubt we need another top-6 forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad