Post-Game Talk: Habs lose big to Sabres. Special teams, not so special.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Is there support for this other than feelings? Each of the Habs 3 goalies have stolen wins this year. Both Allen and Montembault have saved a goal or 2 more than one would expect. Montembault has the better record, better 5v5 save % (6th among guys with 350+ mins) and is more consistent. Allen is more inconsistent and has a worse record, but his 5v5 save % (15th among guys with 350+ mins), is better on the PK and in close goals (not that either of them are not bad there, but Allen has been more consistent in making saves in those situations).

I'm not sure what you think is projectable to support that, but everything points to it not being the case.
No stats. Aside from the fact he’s never in nets when Habs win since the month of October. I think he only has one win since then.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
No stats. Aside from the fact he’s never in nets when Habs win since the month of October. I think he only has one win since then.

Allen was better in October, but this feels pretty unfair to him. If you look at the November to current games he played, which games did they lose where he got meaningful goal support? Red Wings (OTL)? Tampa (got pulled)?

Montreal is a bad team, Montembault has just been better (more fortunate?) at dragging the team to OT.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Allen was better in October, but this feels pretty unfair to him. If you look at the November to current games he played, which games did they lose where he got meaningful goal support? Red Wings (OTL)? Tampa (got pulled)?

Montreal is a bad team, Montembault has just been better (more fortunate?) at dragging the team to OT.
Habs usually manage to score at least 3 goals with Monty in net, even in loses. They can barely score 2 when it's Allen since November started.

The cause is that Allen doesn't feel confident in net. It makes the Ds super nervous and panic which leads to zone clear failures and turnovers and poor transition. No transition = no goals.

Reactions: Runner77 and BLONG7

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Habs usually manage to score at least 3 goals with Monty in net, even in loses. They can barely score 2 when it's Allen since November started.

The cause is that Allen doesn't feel confident in net. It makes the Ds super nervous and panic which leads to zone clear failures and turnovers and poor transition. No transition = no goals.

That may be a cause, but its probably not the cause. I don't think there's much difference between zone clear failures, turnovers and poor transitions between different starts anyways that it would suggest a profound differences, and those things aren't just on goaltending.

Lets be real here. Allen has played 10 games since October. There was one win against Winnipeg which he stole and an OTL against Detroit he was poor in. He was great but out-goalied in a loss against Nashville. He was awful last night and against Tampa. The other games were against Florida, LA, Boston, Vancouver and Arizona.

Montreal may manage to score more with Monty because they get to the extra frame and his wins and Montembault plays more bottom of the barrel teams.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The habs looked okay in the first but the disallowed goal took the momentum away and the team let off the gas after that and as for the goals on Allen, there wasn't much support from his teammates. Caufield turned the puck over every time he touched it and this led to more pressure from the Sabres. He is completely lost out there for some reason.
Those two PP goals were not on Allen, they were on the coach of our PP.
We have two Buffalo guys below our 2 dmen in the box...............WTF?

There were goals on Allen he would like back, but our special teams are sinking us..........but then again this year, that somewhat looks like the plan, sort of.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Meh use to hate playing odd man D. You never knew who you were going out with and how to get comfortable. Habs will likey win a few at 12/6 good for morale but bad for the tank. Hopefully some young guys make a good showing. Wish arber was up regardless. Dude worked hard to get to the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I didn’t see all of the game - was Kovacevic hurt? Stats indicate he only played 8 mins.
happens with 7 d

There were goals on Allen he would like back, but our special teams are sinking us..........but then again this year, that somewhat looks like the plan, sort of.
Allen was great in the first, but those hang him out to dry goals always makes him shell up and making mistakes. He wasn't 6-1 bad last night, more like 3-2 bad last night.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
happens with 7 d

Allen was great in the first, but those hang him out to dry goals always makes him shell up and making mistakes. He wasn't 6-1 bad last night, more like 3-2 bad last night.
True.............but honestly I have seen enough of this guy.
Put him in Laval..........go with the kids, they are the future.
Jake can go down ala Armia and play well, and maybe we get a pick for him.............or we wait until the summer and he gets bough out....

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It used to bug me when I missed a game, but after watching this game, I can see why I don't really give a shit anymore. Not when I've seen other good teams, I know it's all part of building a team, but the foundation is rotten.

What do you think of my latest avy? If she's not a ten, then no one is.

Reactions: Rapala

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Mr. Clean Hughes has been pretty quiet for months now. Time to stir this drink up a bit.Getting stale

No one cares about that
a couple more games like this and I'll care. If you are going to be garbage (which is really not completely unexpected) then pick up someone decent at draft time to make up for the garbage-ness I am forced to witness

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna

Yeah, the coverage on those goals was mystifying. Especially Matheson who appears to look right at the Sabres guy all alone by a gaping net, and decides to move away from him into nowhere land. So is that the coaches, or dumbfckery?

Reactions: BLONG7

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
It used to bug me when I missed a game, but after watching this game, I can see why I don't really give a shit anymore. Not when I've seen other good teams, I know it's all part of building a team, but the foundation is rotten.

What do you think of my latest avy? If she's not a ten, then no one is.
A ten? Nah, you've had better, just being honest. :cheers:

Reactions: peate

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yeah, the coverage on those goals was mystifying. Especially Matheson who appears to look right at the Sabres guy all alone by a gaping net, and decides to move away from him into nowhere land. So is that the coaches, or dumbfckery?
Yes the players own this too, but the coaches have not fixed the small box, and it's passiveness.............habs 4 man box is getting picked apart by an NHL PP each and every night....if the goalies are not playing awesome, then the PP fails of course.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I think it's more a coming to terms with the fact that Caufield will never be an effective player going up against the top line and Dmen.
He can best exploit his talents in a different role while enjoying PP and OT opportunities.

I've been watching games this past month feeling we no longer need the ideal right winger for Caufield and Suzuki.
We actually need the ideal left winger for Suzuki and Slafkovsky.

Slings and arrows incoming...

Caufield has 3/4 of his career goals/points at 5 on 5. Top 10 in the league for 5 on 5 goals before he had to stop playing last season.

Suddenly less than half a season after coming back, he is ineffective forever and a PP guy, when he never was.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
A ten? Nah, you've had better, just being honest. :cheers:
Possibly, I'll have to go through my collection, but I find this one especially striking. May
de it's the black and white effect. Do you remember your favorite? I know there's been a lot of different ones.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Caufield has 3/4 of his career goals/points at 5 on 5. Top 10 in the league for 5 on 5 goals before he had to stop playing last season.

Suddenly less than half a season after coming back, he is ineffective forever and a PP guy, when he never was.
There are two ends of an ice rink.
It's my opinion that if we want to compete down the road for anything of significance Caufield will have to be in another role.
There is nothing wrong with that he just isn't cut out for certain aspects of a top lines duties.
We don't even know what the makeup of that top line will be when we get there but my guess is Caufield won't be on it.
I'm really talking about match ups and not numbers. Cole Caufield will have much better success against lesser Dmen.
Then again it also requires a coaching staff that understands head to head hockey.
You have a very one sided view of this players capabilities I don't think you've ever acknowledged his weaknesses and they do exist.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Possibly, I'll have to go through my collection, but I find this one especially striking. May
de it's the black and white effect. Do you remember your favorite? I know there's been a lot of different ones.
Sorry can't remember , but I think she had her tongue out :)

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Sorry can't remember , rr
but I think she had her tongue out :)
That's
Share:
FacebookTwitterRedditPinterestWhatsAppEmailLink

Members online

... and 1957 more.
Total: 4,826 (members: 1,972, guests: 2,854)

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Community platform by XenForo
probably from her
Stand by you concert. I like this one also. much younger though.
1704591958409.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4