Post-Game Talk: Habs lose BIG in Florida. At least they didn't give up 10!

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I know; it's really rather strange.

Many of the management decisions, such as clinging onto Anderson, have been detrimental to the process, which is where I level my objections, but I've gotten to the point that I can simply enjoy individual performances and the delayed gratification of having real potential to develop a competitive team.
I don't think it is so much clinging, vs getting something for him, which is difficult at the moment given that he's gone full Power Donkey. I do hope that they consider waiving at least one of the dead weight contracts. Hopefully Armias because unless Bergevin convinces Rob Blake that LA needs a stud forward, nobody else is going to touch him with a 10 ft pole.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There nothing overly good on the roster over 25 years old. Nothing that can't be replaced. Anderson is grossly overrated around here. I predict he wont age well past 30 and he will be already 29 next spring. Dvorak is a fine 3rd line center but it's very unlikely one of our young players wont be as good as him. Monahan is always injured if he finishes his next contract on LTIR i wont be surprised. Add a bunch of 3rd pairing dmen (at best 4th on a team with an average defense) and that's about it. Nothing that should be untouchable.

None of those guys are contributing positively except Monahan, who we are trading and got a 1st round pick to take.

Anderson will eventually get moved but they aren't just gonna dump him for free. He's valued highly and his contract isn't an easy fit.

Dvorak has no trade value based on his performance and you can't just force Suzuki and Dach to support the entire team down the middle. If you move Monahan, you're stuck with Dvorak for now.

Chicago didn't trade all their vets, they actually signed people like Domi. But they did remove any talented youngster from their NHL team, which is counter productive if you miss on the lottery.

Not everything Hughes did was bad but I just don’t see us getting the guy we need with what was done. Maybe we get lucky and draft a guy 6th OV or 13 OV or 21st OV who ends up being that guy.

I don’t like Suzuki as captain. I don’t like Slaf usage, the D looks good. Dachs body language is atrocious, he why’s away from blocks a lot and is highly inconsistent.

The forwards are all atrocious at Defence. Minus Suzuki.

The plan to blow the entire roster apart for Bedard relies on luck. It's not a smart strategy. Whoever gets Bedard is lucky.

Even if Chicago is lucky, they have Bedard and a whole lot of nothing else cause they turfed it all.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I know; it's really rather strange.

Many of the management decisions, such as clinging onto Anderson, have been detrimental to the process, which is where I level my objections, but I've gotten to the point that I can simply enjoy individual performances and the delayed gratification of having real potential to develop a competitive team.
Your assumption is that the value offered for Anderson currently is worth moving him. We just don’t know.

And as much as you need to use vets to acquire assets in a rebuilt, you also need vets to stabilize a very young team. You can’t just completely gut a team and leave it all to kids. That’s bad for development. We’ll see what happens at the deadline with Anderson. But there really isn’t a rush to move him at the moment

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It’s funny, 90% of you who said you’d be okay with tanking were clearing deluding yourselves. You were not ready.
I think most were ready to tank, the issue is that every time we win a some people seem to switch to win now mode… We had a better start than expected and good performance for young players and the fact that 4-5 team are out tanking us and we won’t be able to catch up a lot of people got there hope up and now that we are back to normal people are a little more negative about the performances… That hope is going to be beaten out of them over the next couple months and everyone will be back to being ok with tanking and enjoying individual performances over team results.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
None of those guys are contributing positively except Monahan, who we are trading and got a 1st round pick to take.

Anderson will eventually get moved but they aren't just gonna dump him for free. He's valued highly and his contract isn't an easy fit.

Dvorak has no trade value based on his performance and you can't just force Suzuki and Dach to support the entire team down the middle. If you move Monahan, you're stuck with Dvorak for now.

Chicago didn't trade all their vets, they actually signed people like Domi. But they did remove any talented youngster from their NHL team, which is counter productive if you miss on the lottery.

The plan to blow the entire roster apart for Bedard relies on luck. It's not a smart strategy. Whoever gets Bedard is lucky.

Even if Chicago is lucky, they have Bedard and a whole lot of nothing else cause they turfed it all.
I vehemently disagree, as Friedman & LeBrun keep saying, Dvorak is very highly regarded amongst Western GMs looking to add a veteran defensive presence @ C on a very digestible AAV & term

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

It's also not necessary. Anyone who think we must blow the entore roster to have a chance to draft Bedard grossly overrated this team. Trade Monahan at the deadline. Offer Dvorak and Edmundson with retention. You don't need to do more than that. The rest of the lineup is trash and Suzuki/Caufield/Guhle are not ready to make a team wins games with Allen and Montombeau as goalies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's also not necessary. Anyone who think we must blow the entore roster to have a chance to draft Bedard grossly overrated this team. Trade Monahan at the deadline. Offer Dvorak and Edmundson with retention. You don't need to do more than that. The rest of the lineup is trash and Suzuki/Caufield/Guhle are not ready to make a team wins games with Allen and Montombeau as goalies.

I agree and they will trade Monahan and I think Edmundson too. I do think Anderson goes as soon as the offer is right, but it might not be feasible this year.

Dvorak I just don't know if they'll move him yet. It might be an off-season or next year move. Which is fine, he's not good enough to propel this team anywhere.

Frankly, they are bad enough as is.. you can't get to Chicago bad without removing the only good players for the future of this team, which is counter productive.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I agree and they will trade Monahan and I think Edmundson too. I do think Anderson goes as soon as the offer is right, but it might not be feasible this year.

Dvorak I just don't know if they'll move him yet. It might be an off-season or next year move. Which is fine, he's not good enough to propel this team anywhere.

Frankly, they are bad enough as is.. you can't get to Chicago bad without removing the only good players for the future of this team, which is counter productive.
There's too many years left on Anderson's contract atm. It will scare GM. You can retain on Edmundson and Dvorak. There's only 1 and 2 years left. You can predict how the retention will affect you and with money retained they will become interesting. An Edmundson at 2.x millions and Dvorak at 3.x million will gather interest for sure imo.

But there's 4 years left on Anderson so it's more dangerous to retain and i'm not sure a GM will bite the bullet at full price with 4 years left. If he's having a good season next year then in the summer of 2024 he should be movable with the cap increasing and only 3 years left. Gallagher it's a lost cause ...

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Watching his knee bend i would say couple of weeks. Hope i'n wrong.

It’s great for the tank (he was probably our best player this year in term of contribution / showing up every game), just hope it fully heals and won’t affect his mobility.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It’s great for the tank (he was probably our best player this year in term of contribution / showing up every game), just hope it fully heals and won’t affect his mobility.
Well he was able to skate or walk and he's young so i don't think this will affect him long term. Don't think he would have been able to skate and walk so well with a full tear. But a knee bending like that there's a good chance for a partial tear which would keep him out of the game for a few weeks. I'm not an expert BTW (far from it) just speaking from experience. I stand corrected if there's any expert in chat ;)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We’ve seen a lethal sniper getting unleashed yet again in the GDT, with @Apoplectic Habs Fan taking aim on Anderson:

“Power Donkey!!! He is just learning to harness the power of the ass” :laugh:

At another point, Anderson took a stick to the mouth, which drew a 4-minute penalty. Said the sniper: “Tell me he didnt lose his Donkey teeth”

It wasn’t all bad, though. Anderson did get his due whenever he did something worthwhile: “Good try Power Donkey” OK, so that only happened one time. :laugh:

A useless trend was how low talent vets were reviewing plays on a tablet as soon as they returned to the bench. Which didn’t go unnoticed by our sniper:

“Where is Eddy? two idiots looking at tablet over and over”

Why limit good cheer to the few when you can include Armia, Dadonov and Drouin:

“2/3 of dumb, dumber, dumbest looking at the tablet”

“I cant believe i just watch Drouin, Armia and Dadonov all on together Mtl is going to be investigated for throwing games”

Gallagher? Got into a forgetful fight near the end of the game:

“Worst player on the ice then acts fake tough”

Also Gallagher: “He is just a higher paid longer term Armia Guy doesnt give two shits. Collecting paycheques”

The games have been putrid lately but the best action still comes from our GDT banter. And yes, we still have the best snipers.

Last edited:

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Your assumption is that the value offered for Anderson currently is worth moving him. We just don’t know.

And as much as you need to use vets to acquire assets in a rebuilt, you also need vets to stabilize a very young team. You can’t just completely gut a team and leave it all to kids. That’s bad for development. We’ll see what happens at the deadline with Anderson. But there really isn’t a rush to move him at the moment
My assumption is that Anderson's value cannot possibly be lower than his play on the ice, and it declines with each game that he plays. Getting out from under that contract while obtaining any kin of asset is worthwhile, even if we're not going to be competitive for the next few years.

I don't think it is so much clinging, vs getting something for him, which is difficult at the moment given that he's gone full Power Donkey. I do hope that they consider waiving at least one of the dead weight contracts. Hopefully Armias because unless Bergevin convinces Rob Blake that LA needs a stud forward, nobody else is going to touch him with a 10 ft pole.
Indeed; that was why I would have offloaded him during the summer or taken the best offer available when he had a hot-streak at the start of the season - hence my disagreement with management's decisions. He's only getting worse and cementing his current play, as ever, as "the real Anderson.."

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
My assumption is that Anderson's value cannot possibly be lower than his play on the ice, and it declines with each game that he plays. Getting out from under that contract while obtaining any kin of asset is worthwhile, even if we're not going to be competitive for the next few years.

Indeed; that was why I would have offloaded him during the summer or taken the best offer available when he had a hot-streak at the start of the season - hence my disagreement with management's decisions. He's only getting worse and cementing his current play, as ever, as "the real Anderson.."

Players value don't change game-to-game.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
We’ve seen a lethal sniper getting unleashed yet again in the GDT, with @Apoplectic Habs Fan taking aim on Anderson:

“Power Donkey!!! He is just learning to harness the power of the ass” :laugh:

At another point, Anderson took a stick to the mouth, which drew a 4-minute penalty. Said the sniper: “Tell me he didnt lose his Donkey teeth”

It wasn’t all bad, though. Anderson did get his due whenever he did something worthwhile: “Good try Power Donkey” OK, so that only happened one time. :laugh:

A useless trend was how low talent vets were reviewing plays on a tablet as soon as they returned to the bench. Which didn’t go unnoticed by our sniper:

“Where is Eddy? two idiots looking at tablet over and over”

Why limit good cheer to the few when you can include Armia, Dadonov and Drouin:

“2/3 of dumb, dumber, dumbest looking at the tablet”

“I cant believe i just watch Drouin, Armia and Dadonov all on together Mtl is going to be investigated for throwing games”

Gallagher? Got into a forgetful fight near the end of the game:

“Worst player on the ice then acts fake tough”

Also Gallagher: “He is just a higher paid longer term Armia Guy doesnt give two shits. Collecting paycheques”

The games have been putrid lately but the best action still comes from out GDT banter. And yes, we still have the best snipers.

Against Arizona, I was laughing a lot at the guy with his "WiFi disconnected", "WiFi reconnected" all game long!

Reactions: Apoplectic Habs Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad