Post-Game Talk: Habs lose BIG in Florida. At least they didn't give up 10!

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
There's too many years left on Anderson's contract atm. It will scare GM. You can retain on Edmundson and Dvorak. There's only 1 and 2 years left. You can predict how the retention will affect you and with money retained they will become interesting. An Edmundson at 2.x millions and Dvorak at 3.x million will gather interest for sure imo.

But there's 4 years left on Anderson so it's more dangerous to retain and i'm not sure a GM will bite the bullet at full price with 4 years left. If he's having a good season next year then in the summer of 2024 he should be movable with the cap increasing and only 3 years left. Gallagher it's a lost cause ...
They’ll definitely take less value back as opposed to retaining. No way they’re retaining for the next 4 years on a player that doesn’t absolutely require it. They’re just a year in and want as much cap space as they can get to build a team in their vision. The question will be how much of a hit will we take on trade value if retention isn’t an option. He’s a sexy option at $3.5-$4 million. I think he becomes far less attractive to a contending team when they have to go higher then that when every dollar matters.

Reactions: LaP

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
That’s incorrect - Alzner was poor pro scouting , but was signed to replace Emelin not Markov. Molson himself stated so on Melnick’s show.

Blah blah blah, always the same broken record. It doesn't change the fact they allocated money in replacing their #4/5 dman instead of #2, which is an incredibly dumb mistake. Any way you slice it, the best dman going out far outshined the pickle jar opener that was the "best" dman coming in. It's a shortsighted way to manage a roster.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
None of those guys are contributing positively except Monahan, who we are trading and got a 1st round pick to take.

Anderson will eventually get moved but they aren't just gonna dump him for free. He's valued highly and his contract isn't an easy fit.

Dvorak has no trade value based on his performance and you can't just force Suzuki and Dach to support the entire team down the middle. If you move Monahan, you're stuck with Dvorak for now.

Chicago didn't trade all their vets, they actually signed people like Domi. But they did remove any talented youngster from their NHL team, which is counter productive if you miss on the lottery.

The plan to blow the entire roster apart for Bedard relies on luck. It's not a smart strategy. Whoever gets Bedard is lucky.

Even if Chicago is lucky, they have Bedard and a whole lot of nothing else cause they turfed it all.

The Wirtz have gone through long periods of suckitude before Toews and Kane, so they probably shrug off year after year of bottom dwelling. IMO they're just trying to repeat what worked before.

Also, tanking mentality is strangely strong in Chi-town. Reinsdorf and Krause were ready to pull the plug even though they had a dynastic championship team that could probably win at least one or two more Finals before MJ would actually retire.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Wirtz have gone through long periods of suckitude before Toews and Kane, so they probably shrug off year after year of bottom dwelling. IMO they're just trying to repeat what worked before.

What Chicago is doing now is not what Chicago was doing in the mid-00s. At the time, they were adding guys like Khabibulin, Aucoin and Havlat while drafting Toews and Kane.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
They’ll definitely take less value back as opposed to retaining. No way they’re retaining for the next 4 years on a player that doesn’t absolutely require it. They’re just a year in and want as much cap space as they can get to build a team in their vision. The question will be how much of a hit will we take on trade value if retention isn’t an option. He’s a sexy option at $3.5-$4 million. I think he becomes far less attractive to a contending team when they have to go higher then that when every dollar matters.
I think any team with good pro scouting surely did take notes on how bad he looked while playing with Suzuki and Caufield. It was not pretty and he was missing lot of good chances created by those two. Both Dach and Monahan did much much better. Personally if i was a GM i would not touch him at 5.5 with 4 years left.

In one or two years when there will be 2 or 3 years remaining if the cap goes up by a significant amount then maybe it becomes less risky to acquire him. I feel like right we would probably have to find a very desperate GM having to win NOW and who would not care about the cap hit in 3 years when he'll be fired. Kinda like when MB signed Gallagher.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
What Chicago is doing now is not what Chicago was doing in the mid-00s. At the time, they were adding guys like Khabibulin, Aucoin and Havlat while drafting Toews and Kane.
They are still completely lost. They acquired Jones and an end of 1st round pick in 2021 (Nolan Allan) one year ago for their first pick in 2021 (Cole Sillinger) and their first pick in 2022 (David Jiricek) and Boqvist. Looking at Jiricek this will be a terrible trade eventually. It's a terribly managed team and has been for a while now.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Folks. This is what tanking looks like. It has nothing to do with coaching. The talent isn’t there, and the talent that is there (outside Suzuki and Caufield) is still very raw.

Dadonov, Hoffman, Gallagher, Drouin, Armia are barely nhlers and that’s half the forwards.

Dach and Monahan are the only other top 6 players. Slaf, Harris, Guhle, AX are all rookies.

It’s going to be like this for a couple of more years until the habs acquire talent and develop the one they have.
Maybe the late 1st/early 2nd guys we picked up last season might be decent by 2024. That would put them at 20 y/o and maybe a full season in the AHL. You know the way you are suppose to develop projects. The fact we are keeping slaf up says a lot to me. Put him down for a month just to get him playing a slightly slower pace for a bit. Maybe help his confidence and give him time to process the game a tiny bit slower.

Reactions: Runner77

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Then Schlemko was Markov's replacement. Not really better. Someone HAD to replace Markov. Them not acquiring someone to replace him did not change that. Someone in the lineup was gonna replace him.

BTW guys if Barkov and Ekblad stay healthy you can forget Florida drafting top 10.
I thought it was Streit, or was it Benn. Might have been Lernout or Reilly. Jarebek or juulsen(sp). Hang on we had Mete.
A look at that roster was insane. The Drouin trade and signing, when combined with letting Markov and Radulov may actually be the worst part of the Burningbin era. Though Its hard to say because the TDL when we got Benn, Davidson, Martenson, King and Ott when we needed scoring help is pretty crap as well.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Somewhere in the dark, Dom Ducharme must be mumbling with pleasure
EDA0D389-0BC5-4DA9-A009-45137256BE02.jpeg

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
That’s incorrect - Alzner was poor pro scouting , but was signed to replace Emelin not Markov. Molson himself stated so on Melnick’s show.
So... I'm right? I'm confused how I'm incorrect because the effect is basically what I stated

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
None of those guys are contributing positively except Monahan, who we are trading and got a 1st round pick to take.

Anderson will eventually get moved but they aren't just gonna dump him for free. He's valued highly and his contract isn't an easy fit.

Dvorak has no trade value based on his performance and you can't just force Suzuki and Dach to support the entire team down the middle. If you move Monahan, you're stuck with Dvorak for now.

Chicago didn't trade all their vets, they actually signed people like Domi. But they did remove any talented youngster from their NHL team, which is counter productive if you miss on the lottery.

The plan to blow the entire roster apart for Bedard relies on luck. It's not a smart strategy. Whoever gets Bedard is lucky.

Even if Chicago is lucky, they have Bedard and a whole lot of nothing else cause they turfed it all.
Lucky? They are about to draft top-10 for the forseeable future in a new generation of players and a league moving away from Hitting and Fighting. GG montreal. We traded for Dach who on a good day can move the puck well but on most hes scared of the puck.

Gallagher is our toughest forward and he's 3' under.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So... I'm right? I'm confused how I'm incorrect because the effect is basically what I stated
Only repeating what Molson stated on Melnick’s show: there was a plan developed after loss to NYR in playoffs for tackling that offseason:

- A fixed amount of $ were allocated for resigning Radulov + Markov, Habs were planning on signing Alzner at similar cap hit to Emelin after exposing latter in expansion draft, and final piece was to add Drouin vis trade to help the offense which failed miserably vs NYR in those playoffs

That plan for reasons Molson didn’t divulge went awry, and everyone knows the last minute shuffle of putrid fillers was an abysmal failure - not that Alzner signing would’ve worked even if rest of the original plan would’ve been properly executed.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Looks like we rope-a-doped the Panthers nicely last night...got them over confident for the game against Carolina.
2nd best team in the league who’s in a 10 game win streak. There’s no rope and dope here. Nobody is beating Carolina

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad