Post-Game Talk: Habs lose 2-1

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
well then.

I am not ready to panic, but we really really should win our two weekend games. If we lose either of them, I will be a bit worried.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
That Gionta slapshot made me do a heck of a facepalm.

Anyway, the offense has trouble generating anything right now.

Galchenyuk was the best forward for Montreal by far.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
[nhl]509208[/nhl]

so you think welcoming back a soldier is classless ?

I don't think 99.9% of Hab fans take any issue with it. A team that relies on Giroux, Mason, Hartnell, the Schenns, Simmonds, Downie, etc. is hardly anti-Canadian.

And I'll be the first to thank any of the men and women who do that job overseas for all of us. Chant away!

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
I saw very little of the game, and although they lost I am trying to salvage a bit of positive. There was a time during the second period where I thought things would go off the rails, and that 2-0 lead would be 4 or 5 nothing. But Price didn't fold, and the D bent, but didn't break. I hope this is a sign of maturity from the whole team, that they stayed in the game and didn't give up. Not sure if that means anything, but just form the bit I watched, thats what I saw

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
That Gionta slapshot made me do a heck of a facepalm.

Anyway, the offense has trouble generating anything right now.

Galchenyuk was the best forward for Montreal by far.

Hoping everyone is paying real close attention to Gionta these past few games and wonder if they REALLY want him "back" ... for the sake of the team...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
This team will go nowhere as long as Galchenyuk is a winger instead of a center.

The kid is so good, it's ridiculous! His takeaway ability is already second best on the team (behind Markov) and the best among forwards.

I don't think you guys realize how good of a player we have and we are just wasting him on the wing. We don't even let him take faceoffs in the offensive zone.:shakehead

He'll never reach his full potential if he's played at wing over center, imo. He really needs to start playing center. There'll be growing pains and some mistakes, but just let it go. We have a superstar goaltender, we have a superstar defenseman and we can have a superstar center if we let him develop the way he should.

This is Therrien though so I fully expect Galchenyuk to continue playing wing and when he makes a mistake, get benched for an entire period or more.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
He'll never reach his full potential if he's played at wing over center, imo. He really needs to start playing center. There'll be growing pains and some mistakes, but just let it go. We have a superstar goaltender, we have a superstar defenseman and we can have a superstar center if we let him develop the way he should.

This is Therrien though so I fully expect Galchenyuk to continue playing wing and when he makes a mistake, get benched for an entire period or more.

Everybody knows that he'll end up a star center. But he's not ready. Of all habs' young players, he's the one who has the more difficulties at taking the puck out of the d-zone. Bad decisions and 1/2 second too slow in execution. You can't do that when your a center as your responsibilities in your own zone are bigger.

It'll come in time. 12-18 months I would say.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Hoping everyone is paying real close attention to Gionta these past few games and wonder if they REALLY want him "back" ... for the sake of the team...

I wouldn't say that he's that bad but if Bergevin's objective is to get bigger and grittier he'd probably find more effective and cheaper options than Gionta.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wouldn't say that he's that bad but if Bergevin's objective is to get bigger and grittier he'd probably find more effective and cheaper options than Gionta.

How do people think Gionta is not -that- bad.

Do they just conveniently ignore the fact he can't make passes, can't do anything in the physical department anymore and he consistently ruins offensive chances with the worst selection of shots since Scott Gomez?

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal

Do they just conveniently ignore the fact he can't make passes, can't do anything in the physical department anymore and he consistently ruins offensive chances with the worst selection of shots since Scott Gomez?

Yeah we lost a game, get over it. Gionta never was a sniper anyway. He gets his goals in front the net but he surely is not what he used to be. Gionta is still battling hard and is responsible defensively. Diaz should take notes, he's afraid of contacts along the board.

I wouldn't sign Gionta next season tho.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah we lost a game, get over it. Gionta never was a sniper anyway. He gets his goals in front the net but he surely is not what he used to be. Gionta is still battling hard and is responsible defensively. Diaz should take notes, he's afraid of contacts along the board.

I wouldn't sign Gionta next season tho.

He's terrible. You can't shackle Plekanec with a guy who single handedly neuters offensive opportunities at every turn.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

this is what i dont understand from people who DO want him back..

he'll get one great scoring oppurtunity during a game and its ALL they will see.. everything else he does or brings is completely replaceable...

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
this is what i dont understand from people who DO want him back..

he'll get one great scoring oppurtunity during a game and its ALL they will see.. everything else he does or brings is completely replaceable...

It think some fans overreact positively when a player has a good game, much like fans overreact negatively when a player has a bad game. If some fans were actual GM's the roster turnover would be quite hilarious.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Lines at practice:

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta;
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Brière;
Bournival-Eller-Gallagher;
Moen-Prust-Parros

I missed yesterdays game because of a christmas party at work. Did MT play these lines at all yesterday?

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Were they any better?

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta - This line in particular seems to be interesting

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Were they any better?

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta - This line in particular seems to be interesting

That line was solid. Probably the only line able to sustain any pressure in the offensive zone. They would have scored 2 goals in the 3rd if Gionta still had some hand-eye coordination.

Patches-DD-Briere was invisible as usual, Bourni-Eller-Gally probably has some potential. Eller is solid and reliable down the middle, and Bourni-Gally both work hard, skate hard, have good shots, work well around the net and down low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad