Post-Game Talk: Habs lose 2-1 to the Devils in preseason opener

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
What do these scouts/pro scouts watch when they trade for a guy like Barron? I honestly don't understand, I know I'm being a Debbie Downer but I haven't seen anything from him since his draft -1 year (that's where he looked really good imo).

So we traded for a guy based on his potential from his draft -1 year? His decision making is off, he plays scared, puck handling looks off because it looks like he lacks confidence, he just looks like a baby out there. Polar opposite of a stud like Guhle.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Welp, time to turn on EDM vs SEA supposing Wright is playing. It's time to start thinking about what -could- have been... Sigh.
Yeha we all know that what preseason is for. And that 1 game WILL dictate an entire career. Great points.

And I repeat...I would and I STILL would have picked Wright. But your point makes absolutely no sense.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
What do these scouts/pro scouts watch when they trade for a guy like Barron? I honestly don't understand, I know I'm being a Debbie Downer but I haven't seen anything from him since his draft -1 year (that's where he looked really good imo).

So we traded for a guy based on his potential from his draft -1 year? His decision making is off, he plays scared, puck handling looks off because it looks like he lacks confidence, he just looks like a baby out there. Polar opposite of a stud like Guhle.
We will wait. But I was always on the fence with Barron. At the draft. And to this day. I just feel like it's a guy who has absolutely no definite role and flavour.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Norlinder needs to work on his game, but am I the only one who thought he didn't look small out there? He looked taller than a lot of Devils.

Reactions: badfish

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

I thought he some really good moments and really bad moments. He lacks consistency and hockey IQ. He's a project. A player that has size, skating and skills - all the tools - but no tool box.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Watched Dach being interviewed. The guy is young but seems younger, and he seems nervous and unsure of himself. No comparison with Slaf.

If we can bring this guy along, and he has a shot, there could be good upside here.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

He’s solid. He needs time in Laval though, real unlucky with injuries.

I also think a lot of it is Lehkonen wanting to go to a contender, with Avs as his top choice.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
Please, let Slaf grows in the AHL. Everybody thinks he'll play in the NHL because of his draft status but he needa time. Heck, if he could play junior, I'd send him there. Too bad he can't.

I was really impressed, like everybody here, by Beck. The kid looked great. I really like what I've seen from Mesar too.

I think Norlinder realizes he's falling out of the picture. Too bad. The kid has talent but there are better options than him.

Reactions: Xirik

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think people underestimate how much faster the NHL is compared to every other league. Slafkovsky needs to get used to that. Plus now a lot of guys are stronger than him. A few times he was stopped in his tracks by Severson who is not just strong, but a really good defender.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He’s solid. He needs time in Laval though, real unlucky with injuries.

I also think a lot of it is Lehkonen wanting to go to a contender, with Avs as his top choice.
This guy just doesn't look like an NHL lvl competitor to me, you have it or you don't. Your tools are only 1 part of the toolbox you need to be a solid NHL'er.

of course it hurts even more when you think about who we gave up for him, that's the main issue here

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He needs more core strength and leg strength. I don’t really mean added weight.
Disagree, he is a physical beast and a monster already, only thing Im not sure at this point is if he has enough stamina to play at a such pace for 60 mins game after game, the rest is NHL ready.

He starts strong, but was a bit less energetic in the 3rd.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Yeha we all know that what preseason is for. And that 1 game WILL dictate an entire career. Great points.

And I repeat...I would and I STILL would have picked Wright. But your point makes absolutely no sense.
Chill, I'm just kidding aha.

I'll realistically give it 2-3 years. However, the assessment I made of Slaf back then still stands.. lacks game sense. Has only produced against very questionable competition

• Wow
Reactions: ReHabs and durojean

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Pls stop with Slafkovsky hyper in depth analysis. Just let the kid play….

Mesar, Guhle, Slafkovsky, Barron and Xhekaj all in AHL to start. I wasn’t sure if Mesar should go to OHL or AHL , but I think it’s pretty clear he’s ready for AHL imo

As for Hoffman, this guy is awful. Can’t wait until he’s off this team.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Yeah, I found him awkward especially defensively.

Guhle should make the team.

Reactions: Rapala

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Donato-Beniers-Bjorkstrand
Burakovsky-Wennberg-Donskoi
Tanev-Geekie-Froden
McCormick-Petman-Melanson

Kempny-Schultz
Evans-Larsson
Seppala-Rafferty

does not appear wright is playing. hope the canadiens didn't outsmart themselves with the Slafkovsky pick.
I really wished they'd have played it safe with self preservation in mind. If they picked Wright and he didn't pan out, they'd have been able to say he was the consensus on the day of the draft without being questionned too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad