Habs lose 2-1 to Bishop's pads in OT.

KoZed

Mar 28, 2009
Q
TB has huge defensemen and big forwards. They kept us on the perimeter almost the entire game. Like STL, SJ, OTT did. The EGG line creates offense because they can make the quick short passes that shuffle the opposing D around and they crash the net. The other lines don't do any of that. No net crashing + no quick passing = no offense.

Pacioretty's pissing me off in that department. Sure he can snipe, but he still needs to go in traffic more and start banging on rebounds. Not all goals needs to be pretty lasers top shelf from the circles.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
TB has huge defensemen and big forwards. They kept us on the perimeter almost the entire game. Like STL, SJ, OTT did. The EGG line creates offense because they can make the quick short passes that shuffle the opposing D around and they crash the net. The other lines don't do any of that. No net crashing + no quick passing = no offense.

Pacioretty's pissing me off in that department. Sure he can snipe, but he still needs to go in traffic more and start banging on rebounds. Not all goals needs to be pretty lasers top shelf from the circles.

I always laugh when people say Pacioretty is a power forward :laugh:

The guy never drives the net ( even Rene Bourque does it more ) and on the pp he is 15 feet from the net never in front creating havoc like Gallagher who is half his size

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
One positive was that Briere looked a lot better at centre, if Pacioretty can get his head out of his ass him Briere and Bourque could be a very good line for us.

KoZed

Mar 28, 2009
Q

The guy never drives the net ( even Rene Bourque does it more ) and on the pp he is 15 feet from the net never in front creating havoc like Gallagher who is half his size

Pacioretty doesn't have the edge to be a power forward. He's a shooting LW in a big frame. Sort of like Thomas Vanek & James Neal.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Pacioretty doesn't have the edge to be a power forward. He's a shooting LW in a big frame. Sort of like Thomas Vanek & James Neal.
Maybe more like Neal, not so sure about Vanek. Vanek has elite hands and most of his goals are scored 5-10 feet from the net.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

He's supposed to play the half wall and he hasn't drove the net probably because the last time he did, he got a skate cut.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

Agreed. Although we did see him challenge opposing D a bit more in 11-12.

If MT ever wants to put Chucky back at center when Prust comes back, a line of Pacioretty-Eller-Gally could be fun to watch. Pac and Eller showed some nice puck possession together earlier this year.

Last edited:

KoZed

Mar 28, 2009
Q
> Agreed. Although we did see him challenge opposing D a bit more in 11-12.

Wish he was doing it more right now. And not by trying to deke through them, but just by leaning on them. A LW with good speed, good size and a good shot should be able to drive the net while covered and/or checked, and still keep the puck away long enough to get a good shot off.

At this point, Galchenyuk does it more than Pacioretty. Instead of shooting from outside the circle, he drives the extra few feet with a D on his back to get a better shot and/or passing lane.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Maybe more like Neal, not so sure about Vanek. Vanek has elite hands and most of his goals are scored 5-10 feet from the net.

Definitely not Vanek, he's got great stickhandling skills and is creative with the puck, he's also got a much better shooting percentage. Vanek is an elite natural goal scorer, I wouldn't put MaxPac in the same category.
Neal is a little more similar, and maybe it's thanks to Malkin, but he's a 40goal type of a player. He's got better finish than MaxPac.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but PK is a beast!

Cam Charron @camcharron
With P.K. Subban on the ice tonight against Tampa, Montreal out-shot the Lightning. 17-11. When he was off, it was 24-3 for Tampa Bay.

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008

Cam Charron @camcharron
With P.K. Subban on the ice tonight against Tampa, Montreal out-shot the Lightning. 17-11. When he was off, it was 24-3 for Tampa Bay.

To be honest he plays on the PP and doesn't play on the PK...

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008
Which is irrelevant because those numbers are 5 on 5.

which should be precized then. Anyhow I don't need stats to know that pretty much only PK/kid line generate scoring chances at 5vs5. I truly think we need another top 10 forward pick/prospect in order to be a successful team.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Cam Charron @camcharron

Not surprising because when the Cube/Murray pairing was on the ice TB always had the Habs pinned in their end and were getting lots of shots and great scoring chances.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Not surprising because when the Cube/Murray pairing was on the ice TB always had the Habs pinned in their end and were getting lots of shots and great scoring chances.

Diaz and Gorges are always pinned deep too. teams always dump ,chase and retrieve pucks against both these d pairings.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Cam Charron @camcharron

This is what people are able to do with stats. Spin it and tell the story that fits their agenda.

What Mr. Cam Charron failed to mention is that the Habs were outshot significantly during 5 on 5 play.........even while Subban was on the ice.

Mr. Charron fails to mention that we closed the gap on shots during the PP when Subban was indeed on the ice.

Its better to watch the game to understand what's happening as opposed to simply pulling up stats and then create a story.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
This is what people are able to do with stats. Spin it and tell the story that fits their agenda.

What Mr. Cam Charron failed to mention is that the Habs were outshot significantly during 5 on 5 play.........even while Subban was on the ice.

Mr. Charron fails to mention that we closed the gap on shots during the PP when Subban was indeed on the ice.

Its better to watch the game to understand what's happening as opposed to simply pulling up stats and then create a story.

As someone mentioned, those are 5 on 5 numbers. When PK was on the ice 5 on 5 we outshot the lighting by 6 and when we was off the ice we were outshot by 21 shots. Spin that any way you want, but on a purely objective level that is just absurd.

On the other hand, Therrien seemed to match up the Markov-Subban pairing with the EGG line quite a bit, which is likely why the numbers are that high. They seemed to be the only line to generate sustained pressure.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

You realize stats are something you don't make up randomly right? Habs had 6 shots total on the PP so at worst if that fellow's stats are correct (Subban didn't play the entire 6 minutes of PP) the shots were 11 - 11 with Subban on the ice at even strength.

It's better to watch the game and look at actual numbers to understand what's happening as opposed to simply using confirmation bias and imagined stats to create a story.

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
That's what happens when you put all the hope on shoulders of a 19 and 21 years old cause the vets sukk too much

We all know it... we have no club lmao... plz guys stop wasking ''WHY !???'' like its not normal... the Habs = mediocre/average at best hockey club. Why would I be surprised lol ?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
For whatever reason Pacioretty has a hard time developing chemistry with his linemates

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Definitely not Vanek, he's got great stickhandling skills and is creative with the puck, he's also got a much better shooting percentage. Vanek is an elite natural goal scorer, I wouldn't put MaxPac in the same category.
Neal is a little more similar, and maybe it's thanks to Malkin, but he's a 40goal type of a player. He's got better finish than MaxPac.

I haven't checked it, but as I recall Vanek was about the fifth pick in the first round of the very strong 2003 draft. If Pacioretty, the 22nd pick in the 2007 draft, doesn't match him, it's not surprising. As is, the Habs were lucky Pacioretty was still available when they picked.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
As someone mentioned, those are 5 on 5 numbers. When PK was on the ice 5 on 5 we outshot the lighting by 6 and when we was off the ice we were outshot by 21 shots. Spin that any way you want, but on a purely objective level that is just absurd.

On the other hand, Therrien seemed to match up the Markov-Subban pairing with the EGG line quite a bit, which is likely why the numbers are that high. They seemed to be the only line to generate sustained pressure.

You are correct. I am mistaken. Thanks for pointing that out. I did not read the subsequent posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad