GDT: Habs@Leafs on Hockey Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
hnic-mtl-tor-desktop.jpg

Auston Matthews and the Toronto Maple Leafs host Carey Price and the Montreal Canadiens Saturday night on Hockey Night in Canada.

Watch coverage with our free live stream or tune in to CBC-TV.

On Saturdays throughout the NHL season, Hockey Night in Canada games can be seen on CBC-TV, CBCSports.ca and the CBC Sports app, where they'll be streamed live for free.

Montreal Canadiens at Toronto Maple Leafs: Saturday NHL preview
Max Pacioretty tough challenge for Nazem Kadri and Leafs defence.

By Mark ZwolinskiSports reporter
Fri., Jan. 6, 2017

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...toronto-maple-leafs-saturday-nhl-preview.html

AIR CANADA CENTRE

FACEOFF: 7 p.m.

TV: CBC

RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN

KEY PLAYERS

Pacioretty/Kadri

Canadiens captain Max Pacioretty notched the overtime winner Wednesday vs. Dallas and has eight career OT goals, tying the franchise record set in the 1930s by Aurele Joliat and Howie Morenz. The Leafs’ last four games have gone beyond regulation, and eight of their last nine have been decided by one goal. Nazem Kadri usually draws the assignment against the opposition’s top line and will need to keep a close watch on Pacioretty.

NEED TO KNOW

Montreal’s Alex Radulov has been one of the NHL’s best forwards of late, with three goals and three assists in his last five games. He brings speed, power and skill to a line centred by Pacioretty. . . .The good news on the Canadiens’ injury front: Alex Galchenyuk (knee, out since Dec. 4) and Andrei Markov (groin) practised Friday. Paul Byron (upper body) travelled with the team but didn’t practice. . . . The bad news: key forward Brendan Gallagher suffered a broken hand this week on a slapshot by teammate Shea Weber and is out for two months. David Desharnais (knee) is also out. . . . Montreal recalled forwards Sven Andrighetto and Nikita Scherbak. … Montreal has won and lost a game by 10 goals this season. They’ve also played in 24 one-goal games, going 12-6-6 in those.

UP NEXT

Next Friday at New York Rangers, 7 p.m

Canadiens at Maple Leafs, 7 p.m.: Five things to know
More from Pat Hickey, Montreal Gazette

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/h...iens-at-maple-leafs-7-p-m-five-things-to-know

The Canadiens close out their seven-game holiday road swing against the Toronto Maple Leafs Saturday (7 p.m., CBC, TVA Sports, TSN 690 Radio). Here are five things you should know about the game:

Reinforcements on the way: Brendan Gallagher is out at least eight weeks after surgery on his left hand and Paul Byron missed practice Friday with an upper-body injury. Nikita Scherbak is expected to make his NHL debut after being called up from St. John’s on Thursday along with Sven Andrighetto. Alex Galchenyuk (sprained knee) and Andrei Markov (groin) returned to practice Friday with no-contact jerseys.

Good offence, no defence: The Leafs went into Friday’s game with points in nine of their last 10 games (6-1-3). Toronto is tied with Montreal for the fifth-best offence in the NHL with 3.03 goals per game, but Frederik Andersen (2.63 goal-against average, .920 save percentage) hasn’t solved their goaltending problems and the Leafs have allowed 2.81 goals a game to rank 20th in the NHL.

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Habs are banged up a bit, Markov, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, all out. Habs are loading their top line...Pacioretty, Radulov and Danault. Expect to see a classic battle with Kadri, Komarov and Nylander against them.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Good offence, no defence: The Leafs went into Friday’s game with points in nine of their last 10 games (6-1-3). Toronto is tied with Montreal for the fifth-best offence in the NHL with 3.03 goals per game, but Frederik Andersen (2.63 goal-against average, .920 save percentage) hasn’t solved their goaltending problems and the Leafs have allowed 2.81 goals a game to rank 20th in the NHL.

Is the Gazette drunk or is that Jack Todd?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Kind of crazy to think we could be in sole possession of 2nd in the Atlantic with a win and a Sens loss tonight...I don't think anyone saw this coming. :handclap: Can we finally beat the Habs tonight? I hope so.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'd start Andersen. The team has a that mandatory 5 day break right after the game so everyone will get rest. Get Andersen in net, get the 2 points and enjoy the break.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Kind of crazy to think we could be in sole possession of 2nd in the Atlantic with a win and a Sens loss tonight...I don't think anyone saw this coming. :handclap: Can we finally beat the Habs tonight? I hope so.

A little off topic, but anyone know off the top of their head how many games left with the Sen? We've only played them once, right?

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
I'd start Andersen. The team has a that mandatory 5 day break right after the game so everyone will get rest. Get Andersen in net, get the 2 points and enjoy the break.
They doin that. They doin it real big out here. Going with Andy is the right thang right now man. We getting it big out herre.

We ccan surely do it if we stay together, be one. Team game, that solid d-game. Might get scored against, but so what. We can score too. It's a goal game. Yeah I know that. But what is the game about. It's all entertainment. We are the most entertaining organization in sports to follow again. To me = That is the key.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
A little off topic, but anyone know off the top of their head how many games left with the Sen? We've only played them once, right?

We have three games left against them. Two in January, one in Feb.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks to Warden & Budsfan for the GDT & updates...

Great to see another win.. and Brownie with another goal last night, too.. :)
(I posted the game highlights video in the post-game thread, for anyone interested..)

Hard to believe we are doing this good.., this fast..
We are in 8th spot in the East, for those who don't already know.. :handclap:

...Love this..! :D

Call To The Hockey Gods: Toronto Maple Leafs 2016-17 Pump (HD)

..And a salute to our best Leafs Draft Pick in decades..

Turbo Scorer: Auston Matthews 2016-17 Highlights - TML (HD)

GO LEAFS GO!!

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
A battle between the only two teams in our division with a positive goal differential.. how sad is that?

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
I told y'all they goin do it big everytime already baby. Andersen the only way to go now man.

We have a chance, with our better players. We are the most powerful and the richest team and organization in the world.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Andersen confirmed starter

That's the way it had to be.

Going to make chile for the first time this season. A little chopping, cooking, chillin' and a night of chile and watching the Leafs beat the Habs. It's gonna be a wonderful day! :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad