HF Habs: Habs is the shortest team in the NHL

Tdpjets

Dec 30, 2017
short guys in the NHL to be effective at playing physically have to weigh at least 210 lbs. A lot of big players who play physically are around 220-230 lbs, so them short players have to be in the same weight class to be able to play physically.

Think Ray Bourque was 6' or 5'11 and he was around 220 lbs.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Who cares seriously. The game is so p***yfied that it’s likely a good idea to get smaller

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Anyone else come in here expecting to see the avg's be 5"09 and 175 lbs, and then seeing the actual numbers all up and down and going..... "ok?"

Losing Gallagher and Byron will help
But adding Farrell and Hutson will bring us back down lol

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
With an average height of 6'1, the Canadiens are dead last, 32nd in the league for average team height.

In 11th place in the league is the St. Louis Blues. Their average height is... 6'1.

I don’t see Dach a giant nor being particularly strong tbh . He looks slim

He's 6'4 and quite obviously strong if you watch him play.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
If it follows the population median, than it means size has a minimal impact.

It's easier to score more when your linemates are talented. Oates-Hull, Trottier-Bossy, Oates-Neely, Gretzky-Kurri...
If only a few people in the population are that tall it shrinks the pool. There are way more big guys in the NHL and the NBA than would be normal statistically so obviously it's an advantage. You pretty much don't have guys under 5'8 in the NHL and there are loads in the general population.

There are so many more guys who are 6'1 and under, and there were many more in the league a few decades ago, so many more chances to be a star, bigger pool to choose from. McDavid and Lemieux were unusual but they exist. I doubt a quarter of the population is over 6'1, but considering the average player is now about 6'2 there are a lot of big guys in the league. There aren't that many big guys in the general population so more players are taken from a smaller pool.

I suppose size matters more on the defensive end, as well. Lots of stay at home D and physical but nonscoring forwards are pretty huge while most of the little guys, other than Byron, are scorers.

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
QCIH.gif

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Cournoyer was extremely powerful, had huge wrists and hands. He was an animal.

Cannot be compared with Hutson's frame.

Edit: Look at his wrist:

1658319132483.png

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Likewise, Martin St. Louis had very powerful legs, as I'm sure everyone knows.

1658319408569.png

Problem isn't just height and weight, but frame.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Cournoyer was extremely powerful, had huge wrists and hands. He was an animal.

Cannot be compared with Hutson's frame.

Edit: Look at his wrist:

View attachment 570981
The Roadrunner also had pretty big guns for his time! I remember seeing him on Superstars “Wild World of Sports “ sitting with a muscle shirt on, and the commentators remarked how Yvan had the arms of an NFLer

Reactions: BenchBrawl

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Now that Monty is back on the roster, we're no longer last. The glorious inch has increased.

Once Dach is signed mayhap the glorious inch will be increased again.

All hail the inches!

VGwWEAP.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad