Speculation: Habs Interested in Vadim Shipachev II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Only thing I can say is : "its on MB" regardless of the result. At the end of the day a failure is a failure a success a success if he cant bring him I hope he has a plan B, C heck even D.

If we arent closer to a stanley cup its a failure. We had other gms bringing us to a conference final and if he cant do better he doesnt deserve a different outcome. Its not like he didnt have EXCELLENT group he was handed.

Anyways i wouldnt be surprised if MB was about to overpay him.. He had to complete a deal before the WC and it didnt happen.. That could have been a move on Shipachov's end or not, it happened and now he got to deal with it.

Last edited:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Only thing I can say is its on MB regardless of the result. At the end of the day a failure is a failure if he cant bring him i hope he has a plan B.

I hope this 29 year old Russian was just a bonus plan and not plan A.

Cause after 4 years of going after cheap acquisitions, it would seem that it doesn't work. Yeah Panarin worked out in Chicago, but at least some of that is due to playing with Kane and some of that not being coached by Therrien. :sarcasm:

I'm hoping for a good acquisition via free agency. Backes is having a heluva run with the Blues and would look good in the East coast.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Why would SKA want to keep a player who doesn't want to be there?

That's a recipe for disaster.

He signed a contract with them and now he wants to break it. Even if it was DD, I don't think Molson would just let him walk. Bad message to send to everyone else when players can just abruptly leave in the middle of a contract.

I am sure its also about $$$. Either the player or the team want the habs to pony up some more $$$ in exchange for him coming to NA.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why would SKA want to keep a player who doesn't want to be there?

That's a recipe for disaster.

They want to get compensated for losing one of the best players in the KHL who still has one option year left

This all about money, if the Habs are willing to pay extra to get him over here, it will happen I'm sure.

The Habs have been interested in Schipachev since April, are you telling me they didn't know about this contractual situation until end of May?

I'm sure Schipachev's performance at the World Championships had SKA's owner with dancing dollar signs in his eyes.

This is pretty much legal extorsion- pardon the oxymoron

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
They want to get compensated for losing one of the best players in the KHL who still has one option year left

This all about money, if the Habs are willing to pay extra to get him over here, it will happen I'm sure.

The Habs have been interested in Schipachev since April, are you telling me they didn't know about this contractual situation until end of May?

I'm sure Schipachev's performance at the World Championships had SKA's owner with dancing dollar signs in his eyes.

I think you're right about this.

It's simply good old fashion extortion.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

good point

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Also wonder how much Datsyuk's pending arrival to SKA might affect Schipachev

Might be more willing to let him go, if they know Datsyuk is signing

Otherwise, I don't blame them for playing hardball with Schipachev, this isnt some fresh faced 18-19-20yr old kid who they know they can't keep.

Tough to lose your best player, one of the best players in your league, who just finished as top scorer of the WC, for basically nothing.

They're gonna bleed the Habs or which ever team wants Schipachev, for every ruble they can get

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'm having flashbacks of the whole Emelin saga from years ago...

Except the guy is 30 years old and we never held his rights for jock... And the hole story sounds like BS. As if they couldn't have figured his contract in the last month that they were interested in him. :shakehead

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

It's a weird thing.

He's got his last contract year, which he can legally buy out according to KHL rules. His contract is $1.5M (it was twice as big, when it was signed, but then mishap happened to ruble). To buy it out he has to pay 2/3 of his yearly salary i.e. $1M.

So this tweet says, SKA is trying to counter NHL offeres. Great. Of course, SKA has enough money to counter any NHL options. The problem is the salary cap for the next season is 950M, and not a single team is allowed to get over it. 950M rubles is $15M. So they offer say $3M to Shipa (with 13% taxation would be equal to $4M NHL contract), $3M to Dats, and then what? $9M for other 20 players? Yeah, bullcrap. It's almost AHL money, nobody will play for it, especially on the richest KHL team...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You have to think that the first thing the Habs did, is contact his KHL team and see if there was any openings in there. They couldn't just contact the player without talking to the KHL team. So it's either that they did contact them and yes, it's just a question of overpaying the team right now. That the actual discussion is mostly more about St.Petersburg than it is with Shipa (though it has to be with him too).

Or....Bergevin just leaked to a journalist that we were interested by him knowing full well he can't get out.

I choose the first option. Possible that St-Petersburg changed their mind though....and don't want to lose him at all no matter the money.....

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Except that technically Emelin was "ours". But yeah I get what you're saying

Probably time to move on at this point

Except the guy is 30 years old and we never held his rights for jock... And the hole story sounds like BS. As if they couldn't have figured his contract in the last month that they were interested in him. :shakehead

Oh I know, its just the surrounding elements that feel familiar to me. For whatever reason signing a guy out of Russia always seems to be more complicated than anywhere else. Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised to learn soon that he has two agents and that they both have different opinions on his contractual situation ;) .

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Not a big loss relax guys. We can sign Okposo or Stammer. We are probably drafting Jost or Keller which yes won't be ready for a few years.

I still feel comfortable with gal-plek-eller as 1-2-3 punch at C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad