Pre-Game Talk: Habs in Ottawa, Saturday Night Brawl 7:00 pm on TSN

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I mean, I'm liking what I see from Brown, but you imagine the potential of this d-corps with McAvoy. :amazed: We'd potentially have a d-corps only rivaled by Nashville.

Obviously watching Brown makes me feel better. Gagne over Carlo hurts a lot more, but hindsight is 20/20.

Not the same draft my dude. McAveoy was a few picks before Chabot. Boston could have had them both.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Boston took Zboril, Debrusk and Senyshyn in the first that year. McAvoy and Brown were in fact picked in the same draft.

Damn. I remembered that as Debrusk being the McAvoy pick
My bad, you're right. I still would take Brown over him for this team even though I rate Charlie highly. Top end Cs like Brown are so hard to come by, I'd rather roll the dice on his talent. I was over the moon when we took him and I'm still there even with Charlie M's progression.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Oduya looks good, he can skate, I heard he couldn't skate anymore but he looks good out there. And strong, good signing.

When Ottawa is leading the Atlantic, Dorion signing Oduya is going to be considered his Condon 2017.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I mean, I'm liking what I see from Brown, but you imagine the potential of this d-corps with McAvoy. :amazed: We'd potentially have a d-corps only rivaled by Nashville.

Obviously watching Brown makes me feel better. Gagne over Carlo hurts a lot more, but hindsight is 20/20.

Agreed. Can you imagine a PP with Karlsson Chabot Brown (an immovable 235lb version) Stone and Hoffman? Set it up in an umbrella with Brown and Stone taking pucks away in the corners.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Borowiecki is so obviously the odd man out on this blue line. The only question is whether they do what they should, i.e. trade or waive him, or keep him around out of stubborn pride. You simply can't put a talent like Chabot in the AHL - that's lunacy. We have a chance to win the Atlantic and be a very competitive force in the Eastern Conference - that means you play your best guys, period.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I honestly don't ever remember Lazar looking half as impressive as Formenton. Both are super hard workers, but Formenton has god like speed out there, and seems to make better decisions offensively than Lazar did.

Yes Lazar's physical tools were on display at times, but his big smile and great attitude were a smoke screen basically. His lack of offensive ability was apparent from day one, and still to this day absolutely nothing has changed in that regard.

I like lazar. But was thinking this same thing. I don't remember being as impressed as I am with formenton so far.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Back from the game.

A few thoughts

We a bit of luck, Chabot could've had 3 goals but he went for the nice but unnecessary extra pass on 3 occasion. As much as I hope we don't rush this kid, he looks better than any other defensemen in camp. He saved Boro's ass a few times tonight but if he's going to stay, Phaneuf would be the perfect partner.

Borowiecki. Enough. This guy should be our 7th or 8th D. Made the mistake on the only GA. Went out of his way to hit a guy on Chabot's side and let some player break free to the net.

Brown, wow. It's hard not to get excited with a 6'5" centre with skills. Really looks like a lefthanded Spezza but with a bit more jam. This guy is our future #1C and the organization has to make sure he develops properly. There is no point in playing him on a 3rd or 4th line. Let's not Lazar this one. He should play 2 or 3 of the next games, give him a couple of regular season game then send him down to dominate the OHL.

Oduya and Ceci really looked good together. I would rather have these two as our 3rd pair than Boro-Wideman.

I kept an eye on Vandevelve and Randell since one of them could end up as our 13th forward. Up to this point, I thought Randell had the advantage but Vandevelve really showed that he could be useful on the PK tonight. It's a hard choice between these two.

Formenton. Man this guy is fast. Hopefully he can learn how to score or he'll end up like other fast players who have 3 breakways per game but can't score.

Thanks for the Summary.
I likes Reinhardt over both these guys.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Thanks for the Summary.
I likes Reinhardt over both these guys.

I concur from what I have seen. Interesting decisions coming in the next week. BSens should be better this year as well, especially the back end. Strength from the pipes out.

Too bad White is not in the mix. That would affect the Reinhardt, etc discussion I think.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I can't wait to see those two on the ice together when we need a big goal. That's gonna be so fun to watch.

Hoffman-Brown-Stone
Chabot-Karlsson

lol @ that skill

It's very early but that Formenton guy might be a steal... he looks great for an 18 year old.

It's incredible how he always create stuff in the offensive zone with his speed but also some very good hockey sense and decent skill. He is still very raw but no idea how he wasn't picked higher than 47th

Hard to compare him to a veteran NHLer yet but will have to think about it. I dunno why but at first glance, I am thinking about Erik Cole if he develops a more physical side. But Formenton seems to be always be going at full speed, doing everything at full speed so hard to compare him, could be a special player.

I love how good we look and how horrible the Scabs look.

What a great evening.

I just can't believe Habs prospects pool was #28 and Sens pool was #27 according to Hockey Writers. That's just ridiculous. Actually, Sens poolis probably one of the very best of the NHL (despite hype and draft position). I mean Chabot, Brown, White, Chlapik, Perron, Formenton, Hogberg, Jaros, Claesson, Harpur, Bowers, Batherson, Paul, Lajoie, Wolanin, Englund etc. Dear Lord. I think this pool is going to produce a dozen regular NHLers and a few very good/Elite

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Chabot is ready for the big time. There's no reason why Chabot should be sent down when he's been one of the better defensemen for Ottawa in the preseason.

He's looked great but I am cautiously optimistic, there have been many players that looked good in pre-season games but started to fizzle when the season starts.

Let's not forget the teams he is playing against are not full NHL teams, a lot of their players are junior/ECHL/AHL bound.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
New intro for the Sens possibly?

Henceforth Mike Hoffman will simply be refered to as Mr.

Fixed that for you. Just put the part after the "=" in the url between the YT brackets.

Also, It'd be hard not to refer to Hoffman as the Hoff.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Brown may force the Sens to keep him here instead of sending him back to junior. He may well be worth burning a year. With Chlapik and White in the Belleville they'd be set at centre in case of injuries.

Respectfully, that is a horrible idea. There is no reason to play a small role in Ottawa rather than be #1C in junior.

LB could be a gem but there is no need to rush his development, we already have too many centers. If Sens are really in the mix for Duchene I could see LB being one of the pieces going the other way.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
lol think about it guys... The amount of talking on this board about Boro is insane. He's just a freaking physical 7th D-man who gets more playing time than he should because of injuries and lack of depth. Now that the team has a lot of D depth developing, the need for him should disappear (hopefully they don't really re-sign him and PD just said that to motivate him).

He is not good enough or interesting enough to talk about him as much, SO CAN WE PLEASE STOP? We have a lot of very good players and we don't talk much about them in comparison... that's freaking SAD.

SOLUTION : They should start him on the 4th line Wing this season since we have several injuries up front. Then he becomes a rover and covers for injuries and get some pressbox time too.

NOTE : Everytime someones say Boro or Borocop or Boroweicki, etc. he should have a 0.25$ infraction. We collect that money (virtually) so later in the season we purchase a ticket to a Sens game for everyone here.

I know he scored, but how did Oduya look? Do we think he's going to be a legit top 4 option for the entire year?

Oduya looks to be somewhat back to his Chicago peak days (just a few years ago). Being healthy makes all the difference for hockey players. I believe he can be close to as good as a Marc Methot this season. This signing might be one of my favorite Dorion moves because Ottawa was one of the teams most hit by the ED so it helps swallow the pill a bit until Chabot/Jaros/Harpur/Claesson gain more experience

It's easy to see Chabot's offensive instincts are only surpassed by Karlsson right now. However, he might have been too weak with the puck and during battles in the d-zone. We could use him on the PP until Karlsson gets here and he could learn good D on the job.

Yeah my only worry right now with Chabot is that he can be overwhelmed physically in the defensive zone, along the walls. I think he's best partner would be Phaneuf who is as solid as a rock. Our defense this season should be :

Claesson-Karlsson
Oduya-Ceci
Phaneuf-Chabot

Wideman, Boro

Phaneuf TOI will rise with PP and PK. Claesson and Oduya won't play much PP so TOI/GP should be :

Karlsson
Ceci
Phaneuf
Claesson/Oduya
Chabot
Wideman
Borowiecki

Let Jaros, Harpur, Lajoie and Englund develop in Belleville.

Man, insane depth. Trade Wideman and Borowiecki eventually for assets (even if later picks)

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
NOTE : Everytime someones say Boro or Borocop or Boroweicki, etc. he should have a 0.25$ infraction. We collect that money (virtually) so later in the season we purchase a ticket to a Sens game for everyone here.

Yeah my only worry right now with Chabot is that he can be overwhelmed physically in the defensive zone, along the walls. I think he's best partner would be Phaneuf who is as solid as a rock. Our defense this season should be :

Claesson-Karlsson
Oduya-Ceci
Phaneuf-Chabot

Wideman, Boro

Phaneuf TOI will rise with PP and PK. Claesson and Oduya won't play much PP so TOI/GP should be :

You really do care about us :heart: :laugh:.

That D-Core is fantastic. Claesson has shown that he can on more occasions than not, work well with Karlsson even providing a bit of offense himself.

Really glad we got Phaneuf, was happy since day 1. Really gives us a lot of options, despite the odd brain fart.

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
Unrelated but I really love the colour scheme of our New Jersey’s. They’re not as good as the heritage of course, but they look real clean from the back.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I concur from what I have seen. Interesting decisions coming in the next week. BSens should be better this year as well, especially the back end. Strength from the pipes out.

Too bad White is not in the mix. That would affect the Reinhardt, etc discussion I think.

Damn ... Garrioch tweeted they are waiving Reinhardt and Blunden...

I guess if he clears they know where he is..

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Damn. I remembered that as Debrusk being the McAvoy pick
My bad, you're right. I still would take Brown over him for this team even though I rate Charlie highly. Top end Cs like Brown are so hard to come by, I'd rather roll the dice on his talent. I was over the moon when we took him and I'm still there even with Charlie M's progression.

But a guy like McAvoy with a better chance of developing into a top pairing D gives you the luxury of trading him for a 1C :D

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Damn ... Garrioch tweeted they are waiving Reinhardt and Blunden...

I guess if he clears they know where he is..

I am not surprised by the waiving of Reinhardt and Blunden. I think Randall brings some size and jam to the team and will get the last forward spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad