Pre-Game Talk: Habs in Ottawa, Saturday Night Brawl 7:00 pm on TSN

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We're shooting for tips a lot more than last year. Getting layers of traffic. nice to see.

I noticed that the players on the PP are now moving around the ice better in the O zone instead of standing still and passing to each other around the perimeter. It forces the opponents to move and can create openings to attack the net.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He apparently has learned that he must be in better shape to be a better player than what he regressed to over the last few years. Good omen for this season.

On the Sens website it says he's 204 pounds this year and at last year's training camp he was at 209.

Said that he also gained some muscle mass so he lost 5 pounds and gained mass so he lost quite a bit of fat.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I noticed that the players on the PP are now moving around the ice better in the O zone instead of standing still and passing to each other around the perimeter. It forces the opponents to move and can create openings to attack the net.

Though last year too, we said a lot of the same things while Karlsson was away in preseason.
Hopefully this year, we don't fall back into predictable habits when he returns.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Resigning Boro is literally lunacy with the depth we have.

****, playing him this season as a regular is lunacy with the depth we have.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

As a 7th D it's fine IMO. You don't want a guy that has potential just sitting so having a 7th guy like Boro is somewhat valuable. Same thing with having Vandevelde or Pyatt as 13th forward over guys like White or Brown.

Next year we'll have:

Claesson (re-signed?)
Karlsson
Ceci
Phaneuf
Wideman will most likely be gone
Harpur
Chabot
Boro

So I'm all for having Boro as the 7th guy. You could argue having another guy to do that but honestly guys that are good enough to play on a roster usually don't want to be the 7th guy and won't sign here because of it and Boro is familiar with the team/coach/system and he's a hard working guy on and off the ice.

I It's not necessarily a good thing but don't see how it's a bad thing. I'm also not sure he'll be playing much this season unless we have injuries. Unless they feel like Chabot and Harpur need more time in the A, then Boro will play the odd game here and there but doubt he's a regular when everyone is healthy.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

If the guy wants a million bucks to sit in the press box and slap teammates on the butt after a good set in the weight room, maybe it's worth it if his leadership abilities are all that they are cracked out to be.

Maybe we can convert him to forward. :laugh:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
As a 7th D it's fine IMO. You don't want a guy that has potential just sitting so having a 7th guy like Boro is somewhat valuable. Same thing with having Vandevelde or Pyatt as 13th forward over guys like White or Brown.

Next year we'll have:

Claesson (re-signed?)
Karlsson
Ceci
Phaneuf
Wideman will most likely be gone
Harpur
Chabot
Boro

So I'm all for having Boro as the 7th guy. You could argue having another guy to do that but honestly guys that are good enough to play on a roster usually don't want to be the 7th guy and won't sign here because of it and Boro is familiar with the team/coach/system and he's a hard working guy on and off the ice.

I It's not necessarily a good thing but don't see how it's a bad thing. I'm also not sure he'll be playing much this season unless we have injuries. Unless they feel like Chabot and Harpur need more time in the A, then Boro will play the odd game here and there but doubt he's a regular when everyone is healthy.

So Jaros/Harpur are going to sit in the AHL because they deserve to be a regular over Boro but Boro is bad enough to realize he'll be sitting as the 7th?

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If the guy wants a million bucks to sit in the press box and slap teammates on the butt after a good set in the weight room, maybe it's worth it if his leadership abilities are all that they are cracked out to be.

Maybe we can convert him to forward. :laugh:

Does that sound like something that's worth 1 million dollars

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

the way I see it is we need one D that we don't care about impacting their development by sitting them in the pressbox. That could be Boro, Wideman, or a UFA. I don't want our prospects called up only to eat nachos in a box seat.

Jaros and Harpur are better off playing 25 mins a night in Belleville than sitting in a pressbox.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Definitely not a need IMO. If its to be a 7th D that travels with the team and doesn't play unless there is an injury, and before someone else gets called up ... ok. I'd rather have Boro doing this than one of the kids... as per Micklebot.

Organizational Personnel questions
Is the hitting, fighting, toughness, all out effort he brings worth keeping him around?

Do we want the positives that he brings in the lineup most nights ?

or

Do we want a more skilled , more controlled, better positional player to play ahead of him most nights? (e.g. Claesson, Chabot, Harpur, Wideman (R), Jaros (R), Lajoie)

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm less concerned about re-signing a guy of Borowiecki's caliber.

My issue is with Dorion talking about extending him. That's lunacy. There is no grand market for someone of Borowiecki's player. When signings can happen on July 1st - Borowiecki is not going to get signed immediately by some other franchise.

Extending should be for key pieces and not a guy who should be a #7 defenseman.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
The problem is Boro isn't viewed as a 7th Dmen by coaching and management. Dorion would punch you if you talked smack about his boy. Boucher talks about him like a regular who would play all 82 games if healthy.

in an ideal world I would like to see Hammonds 1.5$ + Boros 1.2$ in real salary used towards keeping Turris.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The problem is Boro isn't viewed as a 7th Dmen by coaching and management. Dorion would punch you if you talked smack about his boy. Boucher talks about him like a regular who would play all 82 games if healthy.

in an ideal world I would like to see Hammonds 1.5$ + Boros 1.2$ in real salary used towards keeping Turris.

boro has to have dirt on dorion or something. theres just no other way to explain it.

literally one of the worst regulars we've had in the last 10 years.

I knew something was fishy when he was resigned for 3 years at 1.2 after ONLY 20 NHL games. like wtf who gets an extension like that without having proven yourself

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Your first paragraph I agree with. :laugh:

The point salary wise is, if Boro is signed for around 1M as our 7th D, it really doesn't affect our player salary all that much because the floor for what someone in that spot is going to make to sit in the press box is around 700k-900k.

If Boro is really all he's cracked up to be by the long line of coaches who have been in love with the guy, and his presence as a locker room leader behind the scenes and in practice is really a positive, then keep the guy as a 7th/8th D. I get we're a budget team and all that, and people get concerned about salary structure myself included. But a few 100k isn't gonna sink the ship.

There could be a valid argument that we don't have room for him anymore if our depth chart is too overloaded, but keep in mind we are probably losing Oduya (Age? 1 year deal) and maybe Wideman (UFA, no mention of an extension yet).

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So Jaros/Harpur are going to sit in the AHL because they deserve to be a regular over Boro but Boro is bad enough to realize he'll be sitting as the 7th?

Sit in the AHL? What does that mean?

Jaros/Harpur will see top pairing minutes in the AHL(and let's not act like they can't benefit from it) while Boro will not play at all either in the NHL or AHL because he will be the 7th guy. Also, nothing stops Boucher to call up any of those guys in case of an injury even if Boro is there..

Kinds feel like you're trying to make something out of nothing. Even if it's just something that might motivate younger guys it's perfect. We've been handing free roster spots on D to rookies in the past and it almost always turned out to be a bad decision. I'd much rather see Jaros or Harpur play 25 minutes a night in Belleville than seeing them rot in the press box.. That makes no sense at all to me.

Thing is these guys are not fighting for a regular spot against Boro.. Claesson came in last year and even played top pairing wgile Boro was either not playing or on the 3rd pair. Same thing will apply with Chabot.
Jaros and Harpur are fighting against these 6 regulars:

Karlsson (Injured)
Ceci
Phaneuf
Oduya
Claesson
Chabot
Wideman

When the rookies will be good enough to take a regular roster spot (IE not being the 7th D) they will make the team. Besides, it has never been a bad thing to be patient while developping younger players, ESPECIALLY defensemen. Something the Sens really needed to fix and they're finally doing a good job.

Last edited:

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I'm less concerned about re-signing a guy of Borowiecki's caliber.

My issue is with Dorion talking about extending him. That's lunacy. There is no grand market for someone of Borowiecki's player. When signings can happen on July 1st - Borowiecki is not going to get signed immediately by some other franchise.

Extending should be for key pieces and not a guy who should be a #7 defenseman.

I think Boro would get signed quite quickly in FA, like Matt Martin. I wouldn't want to be the team to give him that deal, however. I could stomach him for another year as a #7/8, I like carrying 8 DMen and I like him more than Wideman, but unless we do a quantity for quality trade I hope this is his last year as a regular. With the FA discussion period, Boro really shouldn't be extended unless it's a really great deal. We are definitely on the verge of having a real spoil of riches on the backend.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't mind Boro sitting in the pressbox as a spare. And yeah, it's silly, but he can be a fill-in as a 4th line forward if the need arises. Let's face it, we don't have a 'real' fighter in the lineup anymore....there will be the odd game where you need that presence. I'd rather Boro do it than see someone like Turris or Ryan break a hand on someone's helmet.

But yes, it does suck for the kids who are better hockey players, to lose 'NHL time' because Boro is in the way. Long-term, however, its probably best for the kids to play important minutes in Belleville.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sit in the AHL? What does that mean?

Jaros/Harpur will see top pairing minutes in the AHL(and let's not act like they can't benefit from it) while Boro will not play at all either in the NHL or AHL because he will be the 7th guy. Also, nothing stops Boucher to call up any of those guys in case of an injury even if Boro is there..

Kinds feel like you're trying to make something out of nothing. Even if it's just something that might motivate younger guys it's perfect. We've been handing free roster spots on D to rookies in the past and it almost always turned out to be a bad decision. I'd much rather see Jaros or Harpur play 25 minutes a night in Belleville than seeing them rot in the press box.. That makes no sense at all to me.

Thing is these guys are not fighting for a regular spot against Boro.. Claesson came in last year and even played top pairing wgile Boro was either not playing or on the 3rd pair. Same thing will apply with Chabot.
Jaros and Harpur are fighting against these 6 regulars:

Karlsson (Injured)
Ceci
Phaneuf
Oduya
Claesson
Chabot
Wideman

When the rookies will be good enough to take a regular roster spot (IE not being the 7th D) they will make the team. Besides, it has never been a bad thing to be patient while developping younger players, ESPECIALLY defensemen. Something the Sens really needed to fix and they're finally doing a good job.

We have unbelievable depth in D.

Chabot
Jaros
Harpur

All look like they can play in the NHL right now. 2 of those guys are going to be in the AHL this year, and that's more than fine, even if they deserve to be in our top 7. Then you have Englund who likely sees NHL time soon.

Extending Boro, in all likelihood, means for more than a year, and for more money than he's making now. Tying up a roster spot with him, after watching him for the past 4 years and with the 3/4 guys we have knocking on the door already, seems extremely redundant and problematic with regards to actually getting all our best D on the roster.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We have unbelievable depth in D.

Chabot
Jaros
Harpur

All look like they can play in the NHL right now. 2 of those guys are going to be in the AHL this year, and that's more than fine, even if they deserve to be in our top 7. Then you have Englund who likely sees NHL time soon.

Extending Boro, in all likelihood, means for more than a year, and for more money than he's making now. Tying up a roster spot with him, after watching him for the past 4 years and with the 3/4 guys we have knocking on the door already, seems extremely redundant and problematic with regards to actually getting all our best D on the roster.

I have zero problems with tying up a roster spot if it's the 7th D spot. That's a place I don't think prospects with a future should ever be stuck in.

Should we extend Boro though? I'm indifferent. Our coaching staff (both past and present) seem to like him in the lineup, often at the expense of prospects fans think have a future. I suspect that if we do re-sign or extend him, he'll continue be in the lineup over guys we prefer.

What I do know, is we should not do anything until we see how Boucher uses the guys we currently have. As you pointed out, we have depth; perhaps Harpur ends up providing what Boucher likes about Boro, and instead of keep Boro as our #7 we opt to have Wideman as our injury replacement.

In fact, I think we probably have more depth in defensive guys (and Left handed guys too for that matter) with Claesson, Harpur, Jaros, Englund and potentially even Lajoie so it may make more sense to keep the extra Right handed offensive guy who's fully developed instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad