Line Combos: HABS in 3 years

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Here is my vision of the next generation of Habs and what they could look like in 3 years.I evaluated the lines where these prospects could play in the NHL. The prospects not mentioned are not of caliber in my opinion.This evaluation is based on the evaluation of a Stanley Cup contending team so prospects are placed in their correct chair.Some will find me harsh or too generous but it's just a projection to have fun while waiting for the real season.

1 th Line:
Habs dont have a first line LW prospect of quality- SUZUKI- CAUFELD

2 th Line:
Slafkovsky- DACH- Habs don’t have a second Line RW of quality

3 th Line:
Newhook-Beck - Anderson
Pinard-Kapanen-Gally
Heineman-Kidney-Roy
Farell- -Ylonen
- Mesar

4 th Line:

Tuch - Evans - Rohrer
Guindon- Mysak

Utlity players
Pezetta
F Xhekaj

Defense

1 th

Guhle - Reinbacher

2 th

Matheson- Barron
Hutson- Mailloux
Harris-Konyushkov
Engstrom

3 th

Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Trudeau- Lindstrom
Struble
Nurmi

Goalie
1 th
None

2 th
Montembault
Fowler

3 th
Primeau
Dobes
Crotteau
Miller
Volokhin

This projection highlights the most pressing needs to be a real contender to the Stanley Cup.
An elite left winger and an elite right winger. And a Great goalie

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Here is my vision of the next generation of Habs and what they could look like in 3 years.I evaluated the lines where these prospects could play in the NHL. The prospects not mentioned are not of caliber in my opinion.This evaluation is based on the evaluation of a Stanley Cup contending team so prospects are placed in their correct chair.Some will find me harsh or too generous but it's just a projection to have fun while waiting for the real season.

1 th Line:

2 th Line:

3 th Line:
Newhook-Beck - Anderson
Pinard-Kapanen-Gally
Heineman-Kidney-Roy
Farell- -Ylonen
- Mesar

4 th Line:

Tuch - Evans - Rohrer
Guindon- Mysak

Utlity players
Pezetta
F Xhekaj

Defense

1 th

Guhle - Reinbacher

2 th

Matheson- Barron
Hutson- Mailloux
Harris-Konyushkov
Engstrom

3 th

Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Trudeau- Lindstrom
Struble
Nurmi

Goalie
1 th
None

2 th
Montembault
Fowler

3 th
Primeau
Dobes
Crotteau
Miller
Volokhin

This projection highlights the most pressing needs to be a real contender to the Stanley Cup.

Too early for me to know what line Slaf, Newhook, RHP, Roy, etc... will be in in 3 years.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I remember when Hainsey-Komisarek was going to be our top duo for a decade and dominate the league.

Kristo was going to be awesome. Perezhogin. S. Kostytsin. Tinordi. The list goes on and on and on.

The fact that you have listed 4 3rd lines says it all.

In 3 years? We'll see what happens in 3 years.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Yes We don’t have elite talent.Players from 3 to 4 th lines are easy to find, the league is full of them. Same thing with defensemen #4,56,7 and goalies #2. These are the talented( especially elite)players that are hard to find and the HABS lack them on offense and in net. On defense, it's much better.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Yes We don’t have elite talent.Players from 3 to 4 th lines are easy to find, the league is full of them. Same thing with defensemen #4,56,7 and goalies #2. These are the talented( especially elite)players that are hard to find and the HABS lack them on offense and in net. On defense, it's much better.
That's not what I meant.

When you list 4 3rd lines, it makes it crystal clear to the reader you're talking out of your *** and have NO idea what's going to happen. Which is normal, cause we all have no idea what's going to happen. Roy could make the team and get 60 points, or Caufield could suffer a career ending injury. Who knows! Let's see how it plays out.

Agreed we need top end talent.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

1 th Line:

2 th Line:

3 th Line:
Newhook-Beck - Anderson
Pinard-Kapanen-Gally
Heineman-Kidney-Roy
Farell- -Ylonen
- Mesar

4 th Line:

Tuch - Evans - Rohrer
Guindon- Mysak

Utlity players
Pezetta
F Xhekaj

Defense

1 th

Guhle - Reinbacher

2 th

Matheson- Barron
Hutson- Mailloux
Harris-Konyushkov
Engstrom

3 th

Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Trudeau- Lindstrom
Struble
Nurmi

Goalie
1 th
None

2 th
Montembault
Fowler

3 th
Primeau
Dobes
Crotteau
Miller
Volokhin

We have up a lot for Newhook, hope he is more than 3rd liner. They usually lesser UFAs.

Reactions: Nevins

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

1 th Line:

2 th Line:

3 th Line:
Newhook-Beck - Anderson
Pinard-Kapanen-Gally
Heineman-Kidney-Roy
Farell- -Ylonen
- Mesar

4 th Line:

Tuch - Evans - Rohrer
Guindon- Mysak

Utlity players
Pezetta
F Xhekaj

Defense

1 th

Guhle - Reinbacher

2 th

Matheson- Barron
Hutson- Mailloux
Harris-Konyushkov
Engstrom

3 th

Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Trudeau- Lindstrom
Struble
Nurmi

Goalie
1 th
None

2 th
Montembault
Fowler

3 th
Primeau
Dobes
Crotteau
Miller
Volokhin

Caufield is a LW, not a RW....Habs need a talented RW who works hard like Leonard to complete the Suzuki line.

Newhook is a good option to be that 2nd RW.

Slaf - Dach - NewHook is promising.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Difficult to project because in 3 years, Anderson and Monahan might still be with us. Same with Matheson. We like to think we will be all youth but doubt it.

Way too many youth coming to guess on who turns out and who doesn't.

I remember when Hainsey-Komisarek was going to be our top duo for a decade and dominate the league.

Kristo was going to be awesome. Perezhogin. S. Kostytsin. Tinordi. The list goes on and on and on.

In 3 years? We'll see what happens in 3 years.

Listing past misses when they were hyped doesn't tell us much though. All we were guilty of before was pumping up shallow prospect pools. Yeah, some are going to bust in our current pool but there is too much quantity/quality to not exit from that in a great situation.

Kristo, Perezhogin, S Kostytsin, Tinordi would not even be in our top 10 in this current pool. Bad examples

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Caufield is a LW, not a RW....Habs need a talented RW who works hard like Leonard to complete the Suzuki line.

Newhook is a good option to be that 2nd RW.

Slaf - Dach - NewHook is promising.
I don't believe Newhook is a 2nd line player and I hope I'm wrong. However, Colorado Fans think like me....

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't believe Newhook is a 2nd line player and I hope I'm wrong. However, Colorado Fans think like me....

He's not a 2nd liner for them, but he's one for us. In 2-3 years, the bet is he becomes one.

There are also linemates in this conversation, maybe he needs a giant like Slaf/Dach to create space to play on his speed more.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Difficult to project because in 3 years, Anderson and Monahan might still be with us. Same with Matheson. We like to think we will be all youth but doubt it.

Way too many youth coming to guess on who turns out and who doesn't.

Listing past misses when they were hyped doesn't tell us much though. All we were guilty of before was pumping up shallow prospect pools. Yeah, some are going to bust in our current pool but there is too much quantity/quality to not exit from that in a great situation.

Kristo, Perezhogin, S Kostytsin, Tinordi would not even be in our top 10 in this current pool. Bad examples
You were saying this exact same thing 5 years ago. Habs fans can always look back and admit they overhyped, but can never seem to pump the brakes in present. The current prospect pool is always the deepest and best it’s ever been, and the current pool is always “different”. Same as it ever was around here.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You were saying this exact same thing 5 years ago. Habs fans can always look back and admit they overhyped, but can never seem to pump the brakes in present. The current prospect pool is always the deepest and best it’s ever been, and the current pool is always “different”. Same as it ever was around here.
I don’t remember anyone saying that we had a deep prospect pool five years ago.

I do remember people being excited about certain prospects. And sure enough we would rush them to the NHL and then wonder why they didn’t pan out.

In my memory we’ve been deep in prospects three times. Mid 80s. Lemieux, Roy, Richer, Corson, and then guys like Desjardins and Schneider. That was a good period.

2nd time, late 2000s early 2010s. Price, Subban, Max Latendresse and some others.

3rd time is what we’re doing now. More to come. Not all these guys will make it. Some will get traded away… but we’re stockpiling picks/prospects again.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

I do remember people being excited about certain prospects. And sure enough we would rush them to the NHL and then wonder why they didn’t pan out.

In my memory we’ve been deep in prospects three times. Mid 80s. Lemieux, Roy, Richer, Corson, and then guys like Desjardins and Schneider. That was a good period.

2nd time, late 2000s early 2010s. Price, Subban, Max Latendresse and some others.

3rd time is what we’re doing now. More to come. Not all these guys will make it. Some will get traded away… but we’re stockpiling picks/prospects again.
Well then, we remember differently. Not surprising - I can’t think of a time you and I ever agreed on anything.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Going with our u25 players, no UFA and all vets dealt away.

Slafkovksy - Dach - Caufield
Newhook - Suzuki - Roy
Farrell - Beck - Heineman
Kidney - Mysak - Rohrer
Xhekaj

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Engstrom - Trudeau
Xhekaj

Miller

Meh

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Going with our u25 players, no UFA and all vets dealt away.

Slafkovksy - Dach - Caufield
Newhook - Suzuki - Roy
Farrell - Beck - Heineman
Kidney - Mysak - Rohrer
Xhekaj

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Engstrom - Trudeau
Xhekaj

Miller

Meh
That team is probably bottom 10, based on what is likely from the prospects and young guys going forward.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

I do, from people in this very thread actually. I rember people being hyped at prospects like Hudon, Reway, Scherbak, Juulsen, Vejdemo, Mete, Poehling, Brook, Ikonen, etc etc. HF habs has been calling habs prospect pool “deep” since forever because they’re not really interested in other teams and it’s always easy to just list a bunch of names.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Caufield - Suzuki - Berkly Catton
Slaf - Dach - Newhook
RHP - Beck - Roy
Heinemen - Kapanen/Kidney - Mesar
Xhekaj - Anderson

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Bogdan
Engstrom - Trudeau

Fowler
Miller

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
CC - Dach - Roy
Slaf - Suzuki - Mesar
Newhook - Andersson - Heineman
F. Xhekaj - Beck - Mysak

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - Barron
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Engstrom

Monty
Miller

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I do, from people in this very thread actually. I rember people being hyped at prospects like Hudon, Reway, Scherbak, Juulsen, Vejdemo, Mete, Poehling, Brook, Ikonen, etc etc. HF habs has been calling habs prospect pool “deep” since forever because they’re not really interested in other teams and it’s always easy to just list a bunch of names.
For the past ten or so years, people have been screaming that Timmins sucks and should be fired. I don't ever remember thinking that we had a great prospect pool and I don't remember others saying it either.

There were definitely individual prospects that people were excited about. But that's always going to be the case. In terms of a deep prospect pool though? Last time would've been in the mid to late 2000s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad