Habs headed into 2015 Playoffs with greatly improved defence

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Habs fans should be more optimistic headed into the 2015 playoffs than in 2014 for one major reason: the defence corps.

Marc Bergevin has quietly transformed the D, changing up 3 of the 6 regulars from last year.

Jeff Petry has replaced Josh Gorges
Greg Pateryn has replaced Mike Weaver
Nathan Beaulieu has replaced Francis Bouillon

And if Pateryn or Beaulieu falter, there is Tom Gilbert waiting in the wings, who is also better than all three of the bottom 3 D-men from last year.

In nets, we have the same all-star, our top 3 defencemen are once again logging their minutes, and the five top forwards are also the same as last year, if you consider Thomas Vanek's disappearing act in the 2014 playoffs. WE might miss a Rene Bourque on the third line, but overall the depth on the bottom 6 is improved in my opinion.

If Price stays healthy, the improved defence corps could take us far.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I 100% agree although Mike Weaver was a beast last spring. Pateryn is not better than last year's Weaver.

Everything else is true, and we have much better depth after Subban and Markov.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I wouldnt say greatly, the names are better and the transition is better, but the D is still erratic in its zone and lets just as many high risk shots.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
As a puck mover Pateryn is better than 2014 Weaver

I don't know about that. Pateryn still hasn't produced anything while Weaver had 7 pts in 17 games before the playoffs started (4 pts in 17 games in the playoffs).

I see good things in Pateryn so hopefully he explodes in April, May and June.;)

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I 100% agree although Mike Weaver was a beast last spring. Pateryn is not better than last year's Weaver.

Everything else is true, and we have much better depth after Subban and Markov.

Not sure about that. Pateryn's physicality is something Weaver couldn't bring and now with him and Emelin our D is much more tough.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Yeah I really like the Habs' defense a lot more this year. Petry and Beaulieu anyways. Pateryn I'm not sure about just yet but he has been playing well.

I really like how the habs are moving away from guys like Georges and Weaver. Not that they were bad but I think they played a style that was not suited for this team.

Petry and Beaulieu are much more mobile and can make that first pass that is so important for this team as the habs are a rush focused team.

Even Gilbert, who I was not a fan of for the beginning of the year has been great since he started playing with Petry. Same goes for Emelin.

If the Habs can sign Petry, they will have one of the best defenses in the league for a while. Having second pair caliber guys like Emelin and Gilbert playing on the third pair is such a blessing for this team.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I like the Habs defense and agree that's it's better this year. The addition of Petry really helped solidify it. The biggest concern I have though is the offense. I would say that's the concerning part. A big factor last year in the playoffs was our secondary scoring. Guys like Briere,Bourque and Weise. While Weise is still here the others are not and guys like DSP,Mitchell, Flynn and Parenteau arent contributing to the goal scoring. Having Vanek here too helped since it took some pressure off of our top guys. It's going to see who steps up because in the playoffs getting that secondary scoring is huge and so far we haven't seen too much of it this season.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
#1-Subban
#2-Markov
#3-Petry
#4-Beaulieu
#5-Emelin
#6-Pateryn

All of them can play in these roles. The only concern is Beaulieu as a #4, but we have the depth to insulate him if needed

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
#1-Subban
#2-Markov
#3-Petry
#4-Beaulieu
#5-Emelin
#6-Pateryn

All of them can play in these roles. The only concern is Beaulieu as a #4, but we have the depth to insulate him if needed

Petry is such a perfect #3, totally solidifies the defense. Meanwhile, Pateryn is basically doing what Tinordi was supposed to do.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
#1-Subban
#2-Markov
#3-Petry
#4-Beaulieu
#5-Emelin
#6-Pateryn

Emelin is clearly our second pairing guy, even though I know it is fashionable to complain about him on these boards.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I like the top 3 more than last year, and I think there is better depth after the top 6 too. But I see a lot of green in this group. Let's see how they respond to the extra intensity of the playoffs.

Petry, and pateryn are going to have their first taste, and beaulieu isn't that further ahead in experience either.

But at least there is experience to back them up if things go bad in gonchar and weaver. Gonchar has looked almost finished since returning from injury though, but weaver strikes me as the type of guy who can be real valuable in a playoff style game. But I suppose we can ask the same question about weaver as we do about gonchar. He's got a lot of mileage himself.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Petry > Gorges
Pateryn = Weaver
Gonchar > Bouillon
Gilbert >> Murray

Bealieu 2015 > Beaulieu 2014

Markov 2015 < Markov 2014
Emelin 2015 < Emelin 2014

Overall, the improvement is small.

Habs fans should be more optimistic headed into the 2015 playoffs than in 2014 for one major reason: the defence corps.

Marc Bergevin has quietly transformed the D, changing up 3 of the 6 regulars from last year.

Jeff Petry has replaced Josh Gorges
Greg Pateryn has replaced Mike Weaver
Nathan Beaulieu has replaced Francis Bouillon

And if Pateryn or Beaulieu falter, there is Tom Gilbert waiting in the wings, who is also better than all three of the bottom 3 D-men from last year.

In nets, we have the same all-star, our top 3 defencemen are once again logging their minutes, and the five top forwards are also the same as last year, if you consider Thomas Vanek's disappearing act in the 2014 playoffs. WE might miss a Rene Bourque on the third line, but overall the depth on the bottom 6 is improved in my opinion.

If Price stays healthy, the improved defence corps could take us far.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Our playoff success lives or dies depending on how effective our D is. We're much more skilled than last year, and with Petry and Pateryn even somewhat tougher. Aside from the immediate benefit of clearing our zone faster and getting the puck onto a forward's stick, our dmen also have the offensive potential to start producing more points. A lot of our scoring problems could be helped if Beaulieu, Pateryn, Petry and Gilbert would chip in an occasional goal. This is a really good group that with a little more experience and chemistry could make a huge difference.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Beau has to be on the 2nd pairing with Petry. And MT should be giving these guys good ice now to prepare for the playoffs. Emelin belongs on the 3rd.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Our forwards have been greatly downgraded big time compared to last year.

As awful as Vanek was most of the playoffs he was still a threat that other teams had to pay attention to, he also played a big part in our game 6 win versus Boston.

Bourque/Gionta/Briere were a large reason we made it to the 3rd round, it gave us a 3rd and 4th line that can score... now our third and fourth lines have guys like DLR, DSP, Malholtra, Flynn, Mitchell etc that have done next to nothing offensively and we're stuck with Desharnais as our top line centre.

Our D looks a lot better on paper but both Gorges and Weaver were absolute warriors in last year's playoffs, remains to be see if guys like Petry/Pateryn/Beaulieu will keep up their play in the playoffs.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
I really our group of defensemen.

We've got star power, depth, experience, youth, puck moving, skating, size, skill, grit, shot blocking... I guess one thing that is lacking is a little scoring help from someone other than Subban/Markov.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
#1-Subban
#2-Markov
#3-Petry
#4-Beaulieu
#5-Emelin
#6-Pateryn

Having a #7-8 of Gonchar and Gilbert is also >>>>>>>>>> Murray and Bouillon

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I'm loving our d currently.

I think Petry is a keeper and Pateryn has proven he can replace Emelins physicality at much cheaper cost.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I think Pateryn has played himself up past Bealieu on the depth chart. He's knocking on Emelin's door if he hasn't already passed him either.

#1-Subban
#2-Markov
#3-Petry
#4-Emelin
#5-Pateryn
#6-Beaulieu

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
The biggest revelation so far has been Pateryn. I was expecting Beaulieu to crack the top 4 by midseason and he has, thanks to his incredible skillset. But Pateryn, man has he been impressive. He's big bodied, will lay a couple bone crushing hits here and there, is willing to take a hit to make a play and will get right back up, can move the puck well from his own zone and rarely puts his team in a tough situation, doesn't take penalties. I'd like to see him get in position for a slapshot more often as he does have a heavy shot, but that'll come.

Anyways you can't really ask for more from a 6th defenseman. The beard is a plus too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad